40156Re: All the rules for podcasting are wrong.

  • Patrick McNa...
    Nov 27, 2010
      --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, Nobilis Reed <authornobilis@...> wrote:

      > Okay, well, maybe not ALL the rules.
      >
      > But she makes a good case...
      >
      > http://hotgluemedia.com/blog/all-the-rules-for-podcasting-are-wrong/
      >
      > Good points in here. I think part of the meta-message here is
      > *understand what you want to get out of it* and use that to drive your
      > podcast practices.

      The rules mentioned are generally wrong, although I don't know if I would say they're wrong for the reasons stated.

      1. Consistency

      I've found that it's not consistency that's important for building an audience but frequency. From what I've observed with my own podcast, a podcast put out once a week generally has a better chance at building an audience than one that comes out once a month, and a daily podcast generally does a better job of building an audience than a weekly podcast. Consistency would mean the podcast comes out on the same day each week at about the same time, but people aren't consistent about when they listen to podcasts so it's not as important as it seems.

      2. File Size

      This has been talked about before so I won't go into it. It's well known that mono doesn't save space and you really need to adjust your settings according to they type of podcast you do.

      3. Style

      It's true that you don't need to break up your podcast with music, especially if it's a short podcast. But the argument they're giving isn't about style, it's about the structure of the podcast. An hour of talk can get boring, but in that case it would be a lack of style that would be the problem. An intelligent talk on an interesting topic should hold up well without the need to break it up. Unless you're one of those podcasters who talks for three hours.

      4. Engage Your Audience

      Again it seems someone needs a dictionary. To "engage" an audience is to interest them. That's something done through a good presentation. But what they're really talking about is "interacting" with the audience, but that's often dependent upon the audience interacting with you first. Voice mail is often the worst form because it may require the audience members to pay for a long distance call. E-mail and forums are free.

      5. Podtact

      The whole idea of trying to attract other podcasters audiences only really works if the podcaster you're dealing with has a similar audience and of a reasonable size. Interacting with other podcasters to learn and improve your podcast is always good. However, it's also possible to put out a very good podcast without any contact, so it's debatable whether this really makes a difference.
    • Show all 14 messages in this topic