40151Re: [podcasters] Re: All the rules for podcasting are wrong.

    Nov 23, 2010
      On Nov 23, 2010, at 11:41 PM, clay.dugger wrote:

      > BUT, substance is useless without some form of proper form. You watch any professional in a physical activity. The vast majority of them in any one particular field will use the same form for the same result. When they get out of form, they don't do as well.

      "Useless" is too harsh, and your appeal to professionalism is excessive. The post you're complaining about was from a personal blog. Most bloggers and podcasters don't have 'professional' aspirations; they do it for personal reward, or to reach informal audiences who are usually willing to tolerate stylistic freedom. There's nothing wrong with that. "Would a professional publication accept this content?" isn't the right question for every piece of prose on the Internet. Some bloggers have different goals, and can achieve them without resorting to the same conventions.

      Same goes for podcasting. I tried my best to put out a podcast with high standards of content, narrative quality, and engineering. But it's not the only kind of podcast I've listened to and enjoyed, and it'd be a shame if people were discouraged from podcasting because their work didn't meet standards that had nothing to do with their goals.

      > I notice Escape Pod in your sig line. You back with them?

      Not directly; I'm mostly just lazy and haven't changed my Gmail signature yet. I do still own the company, though. And it's still a product I consider worth advertising. >8->