4Re: [podcasters] podcaster blog / basic points

  • andrew clarke
    Oct 1, 2004
      On Fri, Oct 01, 2004 at 09:20:42AM -0000, Jean Scholtes wrote:

      > I started a blog yesterday, http://podcasters.blogspot.com
      > It's just an outline and more to come, my first post raises some
      > basic points.

      One of your questions is "What are the best (integrated) tools for
      recording and editing ?"

      Well, I don't know about the best, but I've been using Kristal Audio
      Engine on Windows XP for a few months now to record music and it struck
      me that it would be ideal for putting together a podcast, particularly
      where you want fine control over audio levels, effects, etc. during the
      post-production stage. Here is what I wrote in the comments section of
      Dave Slusher's Evil Genius Chronicles weblog earlier this week:

      "People wanting to put together a podcast using the method Dave Slusher
      uses (ie. not recorded live in one take, but rather recorded in segments
      then edited to fit together) might want to check out Kristal Audio
      Engine at http://www.kreatives.org/kristal/. It's a multitrack recorder
      that I believe is free for personal use. I think it's mainly designed
      for recording music but it seems ideal for podcasters too, because you
      can also import .wav files with it, and do fades. One of the best
      features though is that you can move individual segments of audio
      horizontally along the time scale so that they sync up right where you
      want them. This is probably best seen than described. I think my only
      dislike about Kristal is that the UI could be improved by having its
      windows appear on the desktop outside of Kristal's main window (similar
      to the Borland Delphi or C++ Builder UI, if people are familiar with
      that)."

      You asked about integration in recording/editing tools, which can only
      go so far, eg. somebody might want to include a clip of an iTunes song
      that has had DRM applied to it, so it may be difficult or impossible for
      any software other than iTunes itself to play it, but if you can use the
      method below, you're set to go.

      Matthew Bischoff had a question about how to record the sound made by
      other applications in Windows, to which I replied:

      "In the Windows Recording Control you may be able to set the recording
      input to "What U Hear" or similar. This is what it's called for my SB
      Live card, at least. On my laptop it's called "Sum". You may need to go
      into Options|Properties to find and enable it so you can select it.
      Start recording and anything you play from another application should
      then be recorded. There is also a program called Total Recorder which
      can be used for this, but the last time I looked at it (version 3.0 I
      think) you had to use the recording program included with it, and, from
      memory, you could only record the output from one application. I think
      its main advantage was that it worked entirely digitally, so it was good
      for format shifting, whereas the "What U Hear" method might work in the
      analogue circuit of the sound card, but still, that's good enough. Also,
      I suppose it's good for systems with sound cards (or sound card drivers)
      that don't provide a "What U Hear" or "Sum" recording input. As for
      routing audio between applications in Windows... beats me. I'd be
      interested in finding out."

      And also, some more tips:

      "Creating desktop (or Start Menu) shortcut named "Recording Control"
      that runs "sndvol32.exe /r" is very useful for anyone recording audio in
      Windows, since it avoids having to doubleclick on the Volume Control
      icon in the taskbar and wade through the menus."

      "You can cue up more than one audio file in Winamp by running multiple
      copies of Winamp at once. Winamp won't allow this by default though. You
      need to go into Winamp's preferences and enable "Allow multiple
      instances"."

      Two other programs for Windows that I use regularly that may come in
      handy for podcasters are MixMP3 and mp3DirectCut.

      MixMP3 allows you to record from a Windows sound source direct to MP3.
      The way I use it is described at http://www.ozzmosis.com/direct-to-mp3/.

      mp3DirectCut allows you do lossless edits on MP3 files. This may be
      useful for people wanting to make accurate edits of MP3 files from
      other podcasts (or songs, etc) for excerpts. This may also be useful to
      some podcast listeners.

      Finally, while LAME (and the Windows front-end, RazorLame) works great
      as a WAV to MP3 (and MP3 to WAV) covnerter, you can also do MP3 to MP3
      conversions, meaning you can reencode MP3s at lower bitrates, which may
      be useful for listeners wanting smaller files to listen to on their
      portable players. This may also be useful for anybody with portable
      players that don't support VBR (variable bitrate) MP3s.

      Regards
      Andrew
    • Show all 5 messages in this topic