39954Re: [podcasters] Tips for interviews

  • Michael Butler
    Sep 1, 2010
      I do a lot of interviews on my crappy podcast called The Rock and Roll Geek
      Show.

      The thing that really helped me was listening to some really good
      interviewers like Terri Gross, Howard Stern (yes, he is a great interviewer)
      or someone else you respect. Study how they do it.

      Also, ask questions that you think your listeners/viewers would like answers
      to.

      I also try not to ask the same questions everyone else is asking. People who
      do interviews a lot get really tired of answering those over and over again.

      On Wed, Sep 1, 2010 at 1:31 PM, Steve Riekeberg
      <missingintellect@...>wrote:

      > Hey Stephen,
      >
      > After doing Geek Cred for nearly four years now, as an interview-centric
      > show I can say it's certainly very fun rewarding.
      >
      > Many of the points you mentioned are similar to advice that I would
      > give, most of all /just ask. /(I've had people often ask "how'd you get
      > <Guest XYZ>?!" Well, you don't get what you don't ask for...)
      >
      > However, I do take exception to sharing your questions with the gust
      > ahead of time. It is most assuredly important to write up a list of
      > questions in advance, but I specifically do /not/ share them with the
      > guest. I totally understand the reasoning of wanting the guest to be
      > prepared and ready when you bring something up, but at the same time
      > some guests will take that list too far and prepare manufactured answers
      > and/or freeze up when you go off the list.
      >
      > Admittedly, it depends a lot on the tone and format of your show. In the
      > case of Geek Cred, it's more conversational and long-form (30-40
      > minutes), and I'm usually interviewing someone for something specific,
      > such as a project they are working on. I /do/ however give the guest an
      > overview ahead of time of points and topics I intend to cover so that
      > they can be prepared, but I don't go so far as specific questions.
      >
      > At the very least, something to think about...
      >
      > Steve Riekeberg
      > Host, Geek Cred
      > <http://www.geekcred.net>
      >

      > On 8/29/10 8:08 PM, Stephen Nelson wrote:
      > >
      > > Hello all,
      > >
      > > My show has featured more and more interviews recently, and I've been
      > > learning by trial and error the best way to perform interviews. I've
      > > come up with the following tips, and I'd like to know what I've missed.
      > >
      > > 1. Don't be afraid to ask for an interview.
      > >
      > > Doing an interview will cost the interviewee little and might bring in
      > > a great deal of benefit. Mine is a small skeptical podcast, but
      > > comparatively famous skeptics seem quite happy to appear. I've only
      > > been turned down (or rather ignored) once, and that was on quite a
      > > long shot.
      > >
      > > 2. Write up your questions in advance.
      > >
      > > This, for me, is the most time-consuming part of the interview
      > > process. I try to read everything that this person has ever published,
      > > if they're an author, and read enough of any blogs they've written to
      > > get an understanding of what they're all about. If they've been
      > > interviewed elsewhere, I listen to those interviews. This can take weeks.
      > >
      > > 3. Split the difference between set pieces and new questions.
      > >
      > > Most people that have been interviewed a few times develop some set
      > > pieces-- good stories that they can tell with great skill during an
      > > interview. Figure out which of these set pieces you want to include
      > > and remap your questions accordingly. However, many people that
      > > subscribe to your podcast will have heard this person interviewed
      > > before. Try to make sure that you include the set pieces that you know
> [...]

      The Rock and Roll Geek Network

      This is the real school of Rock!
      Interviews, Music and Talk From a
      Rock and Roll Geek