39925Re: Intro, info, and a question

  • David Smith
    Aug 2, 2010
      It was 1 Jun 2010, when clay.dugger commented:

      > Hello, Howdy, and Hi there!
      >
      > I am Clay Dugger, from San Antonio, and I am a podcaster.
      >
      > Well, a backslidden podcaster.
      >
      > Which is kinda funny, as my podcast is a Christian one. Get it?
      > Backsliding?
      >
      > Aaaand, that's why I'm not in comedy...
      >
      > Either way, my question is this: How do I motivate myself to go into the
      > studio, otherwise known as the "Master Closet", and just do the stinking
      > podcast?

      I've had that problem to the point of months away from the microphone. My
      most recent excuse was broadcasting school. I now have plenty of time to
      bring back my five-day-a-week music show, and haven't done it. (sigh)

      One trick might help. Writers do something similar. It comes down to
      "just write something." Podcasting, that would be "just record
      something."

      You've gotten your wonderful super-duper recording setup together, but
      that can seem daunting. There are a lot of expectations associated with
      your Master Closet. And there are a lot of expectations associated with
      your whole, detailed plan for The Way The Show Is Done.

      So don't use it, just once, or just occasionally. Put together some sort
      of adequate portable recording setup, and record on the front porch.
      Maybe a park. Someplace different, doesn't much matter where. What
      matters is, you Record Something. Make it a short, sketchy alternative to
      your full bells-and-whistles show, just to get one out. This will remind
      you that the podcast belongs to you, you don't belong to the podcast.

      It's worked for me a couple times.

      > I've dramatically improved the sound quality, so the first sounds like
      > crap, the last (8th) sounds worlds better. I've gotten used to editing and
      > producing, and I find that I enjoy that part.
      >
      > I enjoy the recording, too. I just can't get motivated. Now, to be fair,
      > I'm not getting any feedback from my audience, and the audience is quite
      > small (it is a very narrowly targeted podcast).
      >
      > Do you experienced 'casters find that feedback helps motivate you? Or,
      > should it have no effect?

      I have gotten -some- feedback, but not that much. I think it would
      motivate me if I was getting enough. What I've gotten was appreciated,
      but getting so little has just reminded me of all the feedback I'm -not-
      getting, if you will.

      > That all being said, I am also getting started in voice acting. I have been
      > selected to be in the cast rotation for Star Trek:Excelsior, and have been
      > selected for the recurring role of Dr. Ron King in the upcoming "Harry
      > Strange, Paranormal P.I." audio drama. Both of these will start giving me
      > "work" later this year.
      >
      > I would like to make myself available for other small parts, if any of you
      > have the need for a male voice. Yes, I know. Male voices are a dime a
      > dozen, and female voices are needed more, but male is what I am. Just can't
      > do anything else.
      >
      > I know some of you here, and know OF others. I am happy to have found this
      > group.

      grizzly at grizzlysgrowls dot com
      Grizzly's Podcasts & Stories: <http://grizzlysgrowls.com>
      Flatland: A Romance of Many Dimensions