39860Re: [podcasters] Intro, info, and a question

  • Charley Hays
    Jun 1, 2010
      Hey Clay,
      I think the best advice I could offer is to ask yourself why you started
      your podcast, what your goals are, and is the passion that inspired you to
      start your podcast still burning brightly? I think all of us go through
      burnout at some point, but 8 episodes in is pretty early as most of the time
      you are just starting to find your voice and rhythm at that point.

      I went through a similar thing with mine and took a couple of months off.
      During that time I refocused my energy on trying to identify what other
      podcasters in my genre (Christian Rock) are doing and what I can do to stand
      out in a small niche. I started playing more music and mixing in interviews
      and other content and in less than 6 months later I had my biggest month
      ever during which I had over 1/3 of my total podcast downloads over 2 years
      come in 1 month.

      The one thing I do know is if you have to force yourself to podcast, (or do
      anything for that matter) sooner or later you will come to resent it.
      Taking a break to refocus is never a bad idea. Whatever you do, just be
      honest with your listeners about it. Remember that it doesn't matter how
      large or small your audience is, people are investing their time in you 1
      listener at a time and that will only enhance your relationship with them.

      If you find the voice acting is what ignites your passion, maybe you could
      try radiodaddy.com where you can get lots of opportunities for practicing
      your voice over's.

      Good luck!

      Cross Driven Radio

      On Tue, Jun 1, 2010 at 6:54 PM, clay.dugger <clay.dugger@...> wrote:

      > Hello, Howdy, and Hi there!
      > I am Clay Dugger, from San Antonio, and I am a podcaster.
      > Well, a backslidden podcaster.
      > Which is kinda funny, as my podcast is a Christian one. Get it?
      > Backsliding?
      > Aaaand, that's why I'm not in comedy...
      > Either way, my question is this: How do I motivate myself to go into the
      > studio, otherwise known as the "Master Closet", and just do the stinking
      > podcast?
      > I've dramatically improved the sound quality, so the first sounds like
      > crap, the last (8th) sounds worlds better. I've gotten used to editing and
      > producing, and I find that I enjoy that part.
      > I enjoy the recording, too. I just can't get motivated. Now, to be fair,
      > I'm not getting any feedback from my audience, and the audience is quite
      > small (it is a very narrowly targeted podcast).
      > Do you experienced 'casters find that feedback helps motivate you? Or,
      > should it have no effect?
      > That all being said, I am also getting started in voice acting. I have been
      > selected to be in the cast rotation for Star Trek:Excelsior, and have been
      > selected for the recurring role of Dr. Ron King in the upcoming "Harry
      > Strange, Paranormal P.I." audio drama. Both of these will start giving me
      > "work" later this year.
      > I would like to make myself available for other small parts, if any of you
      > have the need for a male voice. Yes, I know. Male voices are a dime a dozen,
      > and female voices are needed more, but male is what I am. Just can't do
      > anything else.
      > I know some of you here, and know OF others. I am happy to have found this
      > group.

      Charley Hays
      Cross Driven Radio
      web: www.crossdrivenradio.com