39437Re: Duplicate content problem?

  • angelomandato
    Nov 2, 2009
      You are correct, such a feature would require testing to see what happens on directories. As far as trimming content, I wasn't thinking about the basic attributes such as title, guid, pubDate, etc... I was thinking about items like content:encoded, limiting the value in the <description>, removing the <itunes:keywords>, <itunes:summary>, <itunes:subtitle>, <itunes:duration>, etc... Even so, you may not not want this feed to be what you submit to iTunes, on the flip side though it would be useful to have such a feed that includes everything when you want to add your podcast to a new directory.

      Anymore thoughts/suggestions?

      --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, Stephen Eley <SFEley@...> wrote:

      > On Mon, Nov 2, 2009 at 10:01 AM, angelomandato <cio@...> wrote:
      > >
      > > ...but if there was an option to trim this information
      > > after say the first 10 episodes it would allow you to set your items per
      > > feed setting to something like 500, which would keep your evergreen
      > > content in the feed.
      >
      > There's an obvious risk in altering old RSS items. Different
      > newsreaders and podcatchers use different heuristics to determine
      > whether an item element has been updated. Some simply look at the
      > GUID or pubDate, but many will raise an item as new again if *any*
      > elements in it change. Witness the classic problem in iTunes of old
      > episodes re-downloading after a podcaster messes with his/her
      > Wordpress settings. (I think Dave Winer deserves a fair amount of
      > blame for this, for making such a loose item specification with no
      > required elements or update timestamps.)
      >
      > I'm not saying for sure that doing what you suggest, collapsing old
      > items after a certain age, would create a problem in any major
      > podcatcher or RSS reader. I've never done a structured test of RSS
      > behavior in iTunes or anything else. But I *suspect* it would. If you
      > want to pursue this I would absolutely, positively recommend thorough
      > testing in all software agents that have more than 0.1% penetration in
      > RawVoice's aggregate stats before making any changes to anybody's
      > feeds.
      >

      > --
      > Have Fun,
      > Steve Eley (sfeley@...)