39432Re: [podcasters] Garageband 2 Help

  • Ben Straw
    Nov 1, 2009
      Leopard can run on the later flat panel iMac G4s, the first iMac G5,
      second iMac G5 (with the ambient light sensor), third iMac G5 (with
      iSight), iMac Intel Core Duo and (present day) iMac Intel Core 2 Duo,
      PowerBook G4, Power Mac G4, Power Mac G5, iBook G4, MacBook, MacBook
      Pro, MacBook Air, Mac Pro, Mac Mini, Xserve, Xserve G5, Xserve RAID,
      Macintosh Server G4, and later eMac models. Leopard can run on older
      hardware as long as they have a G4 upgrade installed running at the
      867mhz or faster, have at least 9 gb free of hard drive space, 512 MB
      RAM and have a DVD drive. Leopard however will not run on the 900mhz
      iBook G3 models even though they exceed the minimum 867Mhz requirement.
      This is due to the lack of AltiVec in the G3 line of processors and the
      fact that most pre G4 and early G4 systems do not have video hardware
      capable of supporting Core Image, two technologies Leopard relies
      heavily upon among others. Leopard can be "hacked" (see below) to
      install on these G3 and pre 867mhz G4 machines but the system may
      behave erratically and many of the programs, features and functions may
      not work properly or at all.
      Taken from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mac_OS_X_Leopard
      Looking at the specs of the first mac mini that was announced on January 11 2005, it has 1.25 GHz PowerPC G4 processor, 256 MB RAM, and a 40 GB hard drive.
      Looks to me all it needs is an upgrade of ram to run 10.5
      Now 10.6+ is x86 only and wont work on a Power Pcprocessor

      Ben Straw
      Ben's Tech Show - http://www.BensTechShow.com
      How 2 Podcast - http://www.how2podcast.com
      Mac Tip Podcast - http://www.MacTipPodcast.com