39370Re: Remote Recording

  • arizona_jim
    Sep 18, 2009
      All of the interviews that I've conducted for the show have been recorded remotely -- in cafes, hotels, restaurants, the like -- and I've been using the TASCAM HD-P2, which I purchased when it first came out for $1,500, but which now runs for about $800. You'll need decent mikes for the rig, but the sucker runs on four rechargeable AA batteries and has two XLRs and built-in time code if you're interested in doubling the unit up for video production. Records everything onto Compact Flash and you can just swap your files onto your computer in an instant. I've never had any problems with it and it has survived some rather strange scenarios.

      What's weird is that I've never met anybody else who uses this. Plenty of Edirol users that I run into from NPR and WNYC. But I've yet to see a single soul use an HD-P2. I'm sure I can't be the only one!

      Thanks and all best,

      Edward Champion
      THE BAT SEGUNDO SHOW
      www.batsegundo.com