39358Re: [podcasters] Remote Recording

  • Steve Riekeberg
    Sep 16, 2009
      If you're a cheap bastard--err, I mean, college student--like me, while
      you'd have to go the eBay route since they were discontinued, it still might
      be worth looking to see if you can pick up a used iRiver IFP 700 or 800
      series. I got an IFP-895 off of eBay about 2 years ago for $20 shipped, not
      bad, especially when paired with an external mic, in my case an inexpensive
      handheld. (Note: What makes these specific models special is they support
      external microphones; while some newer players have input jacks, few support
      external microphones, usually just line in.) It's old school--and,
      admittedly, I didn't look up what one of these used iRivers are going
      for--but I thought I'd throw it out there as it still might be worth
      considering for the budget conscious. Regardless of what portable recorder,
      depending on the environment, a handheld might be the way to go, especially
      if you're looking to record interviews in noisy areas such as trade shows or
      conventions.

      Have fun,

      Steve Riekeberg
      Host, Geek Cred