39064Re: [podcasters] Cheap Storage - too good to be true?

    Jun 3, 2009
      On Wed, Jun 3, 2009 at 11:34 PM, joshuamcnichols
      <joshuamcnichols@...> wrote:
      > Is this too good to be true?   Here's my analysis of Amazon's S3 web
      > hosting service.
      > [ . . . ]
      >    * Does anyone foresee any problems with this?
      >    * Can my calculations possibly be correct?  Or are there hidden
      > costs?

      No hidden costs. I use S3 for all sorts of things (just not podcast
      distribution), and their costs are exactly what they say they are. No
      base charges, no minimums, no surprises.

      Your calculations sound correct. *If* you don't expect to get a lot
      of downloads, S3 definitely is cheaper than Libsyn. No question
      there. It's when you start getting audiences of 1,000+ for every
      episode that the scales tip in the other direction. And once they
      tip, they can tip pretty drastically. "Unlimited upside potential" is
      the phrase; it's the one that strikes terror into the heart of anyone
      who shorts the stock market.

      But if that isn't your situation -- if you're fairly certain that
      won't happen to you -- then hey, rock on with S3.