38908Re: [podcasters] Field recorder

  • andrew clarke
    Apr 5, 2009
      On Sun 2009-04-05 10:13:09 UTC-0400, Richard Amirault (ramirault@...) wrote:

      > > A few years ago I bought a Sony minidisc recorder. I use the Sony
      > > MZ-b100 for all my field recording. With the L2 setting, I can record
      > > slightly more than 2.5 hours of audio at a time. I use and prefer a
      > > dynamic microphone so phantom power is not an issue for me. What I
      > > like about this recorder and the recordings of most minidisc recorders
      > > is the very low noise floor. There is very little noise created by
      > > the recorder itself on the recording.
      >
      > Yes, but ... your minidisc recorder has a major flaw .. you cannot
      > access the digital recording .. other than playing it back, in real
      > time, in analog, thru the speaker jack.

      I'm not sure I'd call that a flaw as such. The lack of access to the
      digital recording was by design. That is, assuming there is no
      digital output on the MD player. And even if there was, the audio on
      MiniDiscs is recorded using the ATRAC codec and so would need to be
      converted on-the-fly to a raw PCM signal before any editing could be
      done on a PC.

      Otherwise, you're stuck with doing a digital-to-analog-to-digital
      transfer, where the analog stage will raise the noise floor, probably
      negating any advantage you gained.

      Many DAT recorders have digital output, and their recordings are
      already stored as raw PCM. However DAT has its own problems, mostly
      related to the use of magnetic tape.

      There is also Digital Compact Cassette (DCC), which is even less
      practical than DAT, but may be historically interesting. :-)

      Regards
      Andrew
    • Show all 16 messages in this topic