38905Re: [podcasters] Field recorder

  • Martin McKeay
    Apr 4, 2009
      Most often when I'm recording with the Zoom H4, it's in a crowded convention
      hall and the last thing I'm worried about is the sound floor of the Zoom.
      Not to discount that this is an important issue to some, but for my
      purposes, it's a non-issue. It's wasn't even one of the things I was
      thinking about when I got the H4. I will say that I find the built in mics
      on the H4 to be nearly unusable due to their sensitivity, but coupled with a
      Shure PG58, the Zoom is a great portable podcasting rig for me. For the my
      micropodcasting rig, I use an iRiver 795 with a Giant Squid stereo mic. The
      combo looks like someone's pipe at first glance. It's also incredibly
      sensitive, but when I need something in an emergency, it works. I will
      admit I'm usually more worried about just getting the interview or
      conversation than I am about the quality.

      Martin

      Martin McKeay, CISSP, QSA, GSNA
      Host of the Network Security Blog and Podcast
      http://www.mckeay.net
      Cell: 707-495-7926