38547Re: PBS, NPR, and iPod/YouTube

  • shepdave2003
    Feb 5, 2009
      --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, Dan Hughes <danhughes@...> wrote:

      > For the great majority of the audience, video is easier. By that I
      mean
      > you need no extra equipment, you just sit at your computer and
      watch
      your
      > monitor.
      >
      > But for audio only, most people would rather listen away from their
      > computer, and that means, if they want your podcast, attaching
      > peripherals to their computer via cable or USB port, and taking the
      time
      > to download. That's just too much trouble for those who are just as
      > happy listening to music or the radio, or whatever is already on
      their
      > MP3 player.

      I completely disagree with this analysis. As a listener, I do not
      subscribe to a single video podcast. I don't have time in my life to
      sit down at a computer and stare at the screen to get the kind of
      content I get from podcasts. For me, that is much more inconvenient
      than audio.

      I sync up my MP3 player (which happens to be an iPod) as part of my
      morning routine, and then I listen to the day's podcasts on the run--
      while driving to and from work, running errands, waiting in lines,
      etc. If I had to watch a video, I just wouldn't mess with it.

      Now, I don't want to mistakenly assume that my pattern of interaction
      with my podcast list is the same as yours--but likewise, you should
      not assume everybody's pattern of interaction is the same as yours.
      You're suggesting it's a pain in the neck to hook my iPod to my
      comptuter to sync. I'm suggesting that (for me) it's a much bigger
      pain in the neck to sit my butt down in front of a computer screen
      for the time of a podcast. I'm stuck there. Can't do anything else. I
      have to sit in one place. Forget it. I'm too busy to do that.

      As a producer, audio is much, MUCH easier to deal with. I only have
      to work in a dry, quiet room. If I were doing video, I'd have to get
      the sound of the room right AND get the lighting right, AND worry
      about whether I needed another person to run camera, etc., etc., etc.

      Different strokes for different folks, that's what I'm saying. But
      when you say that "video is easier for the great majority of the
      audience," I really think you are making a huge generalization that
      may well not have the tiniest basis in fact.

      Back to lurk mode.

      Dave Shepherd
      http://thewordnerds.org
    • Show all 12 messages in this topic