38150Re: [podcasters] Best Microphone for Full Room / Roundtable Recording?

  • Rich
    Dec 1, 2008
      On Sun, 2008-11-30 at 18:26 -0600, David Smith wrote:

      Or just get a decent omnidirectional microphone (picks up sounds from
      all directions) and all sit equidistant from the mic and do your thing.

      The closer the better so there are less room reflections.

      Me...

      > It was 30 Nov 2008, when Calvin Powers commented:
      >
      > > Howdy,
      > >
      > > I'd like to set up a recording of a group discussion. It will be
      > held in my
      > > living room with people scattered about. It will be all talk with
      > minimal
      > > background noise. There will be too many people for me to give
      > everyone a
      > > separate microphone.
      > >
      > > So I'm curious about the best type of microphone to use in this
      > situation?
      > > Would you get a wireless microphone and pass it around? That would
      > be less
      > > than ideal for me because I want there to be lots of back and forth
      > in the
      > > discussion. Is there a microphone that could pick up all the voices
      > in the
      > > room?
      >
      > This sounds like something I'd try with my Samson Zoom H2. It's
      > intended
      > for portable recording, but it also has 4 built-in microphones,
      > arranged
      > so the unit should successfully cover a whole circle of people, in
      > stereo,
      > and potentially in 5.1 surround sound, I gather. Might require some
      > fiddling, depending on the size and spread of the group.
      >
      > And standard disclaimers apply; I've never tried this. Should work, I
      > think, and you also get a portable recorder in the bargain.
      >
      > Griz
      >
      > --
      >
      > Grizzly's Growls Podcast & Stories from the Hiber-Nation:
      > <http://grizzlysgrowls.com>
      > The NaNaPooPoo Podcast Community Network:
      > <http://feeds.nanapoopoo.com>

    • Show all 8 messages in this topic