23140Re: [podcasters] PME II!!!

  • Martin McKeay
    Oct 2, 2006
      PodCamp: Me! Provided I can get the boss (wife) to let me.

      PME II:
      I'd like to add my voice to those saying the primary value of PME II was in
      the interactions with other podcasters, meeting people face to face and
      exploring the future of podcasting with the people who are helping it get
      there. None, or at least very little, of that happened in the conference
      hall, it happened in the bar, by the pool and in the hotel rooms. To me,
      this was worth the price of admission, even if I'd never gone to any of the

      I only made it to three of the classes and one of the keynote speeches;
      Leo's was too crowded and they closed the doors. Two of the classes were
      aimed at beginning and less experienced podcasters, though I brought home at
      least several points from each one. The third one, Interviewing Techniques,
      was a bit rough, not because of the speaker, but because she had a message
      some podcasters didn't want to hear: we're making a lot of interviewing
      mistakes. Several times when people asked, "How do I do X?", her answer
      was, "You don't, if you want to have a successful, professional interview".
      At least one person took this attitude badly.

      If you went to PME to party, that's what you got out of it. But if you went
      to meet people and talk about podcasting, the content in the hallways was
      more than worth the time and money. I wouldn't advise anyone to sneak into
      the buildings to attend, but I felt that I got my money's worth even if I
      hadn't attended a single talk. I've already told my wife I'm going again
      next year, and while she doesn't quite understand why, she does understand
      the passion I came away from the Expo with.

      PS. Paul is great efforts for the community in creating the Podcast Guild.
      He deserves a round of thanks for the work he's taking on.

      Martin McKeay, CISSP, CCNA
      The Network Security Podcast
      YIM: mmckeay@...