23139Many faces of the PME (was: PME!!!)

  • Evo Terra
    Oct 2, 2006

      Geo,

      While I did a significant amount of partying at the conference, I did a
      lot more networking, a bit of learning and quite a bit of "deal making".

      The talk Steve Eley and I gave on "Podcasting the Written Word" was well
      attended and, judging from the reaction of the audience and several
      comments received by attendees afterwards, well received. My wife (and
      fellow podcaster on The Dragon Page With Class) spent much of her show
      time in a variety of panels and lectures focusing on podcasting and
      education and reported that much knowledge was derived during said sessions.

      The networking opportunities are simply stellar. As stated, it is *the*
      place to be in podcasting, and everyone I found was more than happy to
      carve out some personal one-on-one time to share with another. I'll be
      transcribing business cards for a few weeks.

      The PME is also a great place, IMHO, to get some "business" done. I
      managed to corner Rob Greenlee from Melodeo for 15 minutes and we worked
      out a kink in the system rather quickly. Podiobooks.com titles will
      start showing up to his user base very soon. I met up with the smart
      guys from PodcodcastVoices in the UK and will have a proposal on their
      desk in a few days. Firmed up some loose ends with Kiptronic and LibSyn,
      provided insight on an in-development business plan and lined up a few
      post-convention interviews.

      It's also an incredible place to get some partying done. The nice thing
      is -- you can do both! The parties aren't all about drinking, though a
      considerable amount of ETOH in various forms was consumed by many of the
      attendees. But don't get the impression it was a drunken frat party.
      There certainly were "intense" moments of many parties, but if that's
      not your style, drift down the hall to the next, and perhaps more low
      key, event. Or better yet, turn in early so your fresh for the next day.
      Gods know I certainly should have. :)

      Put the PME on your list for next year. As you say, "it's not all about
      drinking". If Father Roderick can attend (Super nice guy. Huge scifi
      geek. We talked for quite a while.) the same conference and both walk
      around with huge smiles on our faces, there must be enough of "the good
      stuff" for everyone involved.

      E.

      Evo Terra | Podiobooks.com
      Free serialized audio books, delivered on your schedule.
    • Show all 27 messages in this topic