16030Re: [podcasters] recording on the ipod

    Jan 31, 2006
      On 1/31/06, Rachel Lederman <rlederman@...> wrote:
      > Hi there,
      > I just joined your group and I am looking for a little help. I want
      > to record multiple mics, say 2, on to the video Ipod. How can I do
      > this? Just plug in 2 mics and go? How is the quality? Good enough
      > for broadcast?

      Unfortunately, voice recording for the video iPod is still
      theoretical. The old accessories that allowed recording on prior
      iPods don't work with the new one, and Apple hasn't released any
      accessories yet that will allow you to plug in a microphone. The most
      promising sign I've seen is this announcement:

      http://www.xtrememac.com/audio/earphones_recorders/micromemo.php

      ...but it doesn't give a firm date for release, only "late Spring 2006."

      If you need portable recording and it has to be cheap, I recommend
      either getting the Griffin iMic USB adapter and plugging it into your
      laptop, or a portable MP3 player with recording abilities such as the
      iRiver 7xx or 8xx series. I found my iRiver iFP-790 on eBay for about
      $50, and it has excellent recording quality. You can plug in two
      microphones with a mono-to-stereo Y-adapter. The interface is evil,
      but you get used to it after a while. >8->

      If you can spend more money than that, you'll get much better sound
      quality with a dedicated portable recorder. Edirol, M-Audio and
      Marantz all make professional-quality recorders in the $400 to $600
      range. The Edirol R-1 and R-09 may be a good value for you in
      particular because they have an excellent stereo mic built in.

      This is all assuming portability is important to you. If it isn't,
      you get a lot more options. If you let us know what your application
      is, we may be able to give more targeted advice. (But still no love
      with the video iPod, alas. Sorry.)

      Good luck to you!

      http://www.escapepod.org
    • Show all 9 messages in this topic