12652Re: iPodder Lemon makes a drastic change

  • Garth T Kidd
    Nov 14, 2005
      --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, Scott Grayban wrote:
      > Well we all knew it was coming. Apple went after us [...]

      I'd rather not waste energy lambasting Apple's lawyers for correctly pointing out that the first four letters of iPodder happened to exactly match one of their registered trademarks. As I mentioned at the time, it's not like Apple could safely ignore us. Unlike satire or criticism sites, we'd created a product. It handles music. It puts things on iPods. On the Mac, it even looks shiny like iTunes. I don't think we'd have lasted a day in court if we'd tried to fight.

      Fortunately for us, Apple's lawyers were polite - almost to the point of being apologetic - and entirely reasonable. I's not appropriate for me to go into the details of our arrangement, but I can say I don't feel hard-done-by. Sure, I wouldn't have minded not having to change our name, but that couldn't really be avoided.

      Aside from "we all knew it was coming", Scott's entirely right on the new name (Juice) and web site (juicereceiver.sf.net), at which you can download fresh Juice: version 2.2 of our podcatching software for Mac and Windows users. As well as a shiny new logo, the new version includes support for WinAmp, password-protected feeds, and one-click subscriptions. We sincerely hope you'll like it.

      Yours,
      Garth.