song cannot be opened

  • clsouder
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 31, 2008
      I just purchased a song from the Sprint Music Store, followed the same
      format I always do. When I transferred it to Pocket Tunes on my Palm
      and tried to play it, I got the message: The file cannot be opened. It
      could be corrupted or it could be restricted... It's never done this
      before. What can I do? Thanks.
    • Dave
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 1, 2008
        Without knowing what the "same format as I always do" entails, it
        would be difficult to tell you where you may have gone wrong.

        But what I can tell you is that with Sprint Music Store tracks, you
        must download them to your PC first. Then connect your Palm to the the
        PC, open Pocket Tunes, and open Sprint Music Manager. Then transfer
        the files over to the SD card in your device (or internal memory if
        you are not using a card). If you do it any other way (eg. a card
        reader) the license will not be transferred over properly and you
        would get that error message.

        If you used any other method than the one above, you need to delete
        the tracks off the device and re-transfer them so that the license
        will be transferred properly.

        If you did transfer using the Sprint Music Manager, make sure the date
        is the same on your device as the PC. The time should be close as well.

        If the issue persists, contact us in support,
        http://www.pocket-tunes.com/scripts/support.php .

        Take care,
        Dave
        NormSoft, Inc
        Pocket Tunes Blog: http://www.pocket-tunes.com/news/.
        User Guide: http://www.pocket-tunes.com/pockettunes/docs/readme.html
        NormSoft Knowledge Base: http://www.normsoft.com/kb/

        --- In pockettunes@yahoogroups.com, "clsouder" <clsouder@...> wrote:

        > I just purchased a song from the Sprint Music Store, followed the same
        > format I always do. When I transferred it to Pocket Tunes on my Palm
        > and tried to play it, I got the message: The file cannot be opened. It
        > could be corrupted or it could be restricted... It's never done this
        > before. What can I do? Thanks.

      • clsouder
        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 2, 2008
          I purchased the music through the Sprint Store, downloaded it to my
          PC, connected my phone, and transferred the song. The song transfers
          to the phone, but when I try to open it, I get that message. This is
          the way I've always gotten my music from Sprint. Any ideas? Thanks.

          --- In pockettunes@yahoogroups.com, "Dave" <dave.jones@...> wrote:

          > Without knowing what the "same format as I always do" entails, it
          > would be difficult to tell you where you may have gone wrong.
          >
          > But what I can tell you is that with Sprint Music Store tracks, you
          > must download them to your PC first. Then connect your Palm to the the
          > PC, open Pocket Tunes, and open Sprint Music Manager. Then transfer
          > the files over to the SD card in your device (or internal memory if
          > you are not using a card). If you do it any other way (eg. a card
          > reader) the license will not be transferred over properly and you
          > would get that error message.
          >
          > If you used any other method than the one above, you need to delete
          > the tracks off the device and re-transfer them so that the license
          > will be transferred properly.
          >
          > If you did transfer using the Sprint Music Manager, make sure the date
          > is the same on your device as the PC. The time should be close as well.
          >
          > If the issue persists, contact us in support,
          > http://www.pocket-tunes.com/scripts/support.php .
          >
          > Take care,
          > Dave
          > NormSoft, Inc
          > Pocket Tunes Blog: http://www.pocket-tunes.com/news/.
          > User Guide: http://www.pocket-tunes.com/pockettunes/docs/readme.html
          > NormSoft Knowledge Base: http://www.normsoft.com/kb/
          >
          > --- In pockettunes@yahoogroups.com, "clsouder" <clsouder@> wrote:
          > >
          > > I just purchased a song from the Sprint Music Store, followed the same
          > > format I always do. When I transferred it to Pocket Tunes on my Palm
          > > and tried to play it, I got the message: The file cannot be opened. It
          > > could be corrupted or it could be restricted... It's never done this
          > > before. What can I do? Thanks.

        • Dave
          Message 4 of 4 , Sep 5, 2008
            Hi there,

            I wanted to make sure that I understand correctly. You purchased from
            Sprint previously and transferred those tracks the same way as you did
            the track that is giving you the error, correct? Sprint tracks are
            licensed tracks so you have to transfer them using the Sprint Music
            Manager with your Treo connected to it and Pocket Tunes activated. You
            cannot transfer using a card reader or the license will not transfer
            correctly. If you have other Sprint tracks on your Palm, do they still
            play fine?

            The main reasons for a license message to pop up is if the track was
            not transferred using the correct method or the time and date on the
            device differs from that of the PC or the song license has expired
            (eg. subscription tracks from Napster or Rhapsody that expire if you
            do not renew your subscription).

            I'd recommend contacting us in support if you are still having a
            problem. We can then go over the specific steps you are doing to
            transfer the tracks.