What to do

  • Lisa Harle
    Message 1 of 12 , Mar 31, 2007
      I have a Palm Treo 680 that has pocket tunes on it. Now do I just
      need to sign up, pay a one time fee and then I will be able to download
      music? I am sorry to sound so dumb, but am just figuring everything
      out on this phone!
    • Rusty Vaughan
      Message 2 of 12 , Apr 2, 2007
        Lisa, you will get several answers to this and they will likely all be
        right. Sort thru them and select what suits you the best.

        Here is what I prefer but I might be alone in this. Keep in mind that I like
        music, I love Podcasts, and a very much like audio books. Music is the
        easiest but the others are not far behind.

        First I would suggest Itunes is a VERY user friendly FREE music interface
        that is great to help organize your tunes. Since it is made to work
        automatically with the IPods and not the Treo, I simply drag and drop the
        tunes to my SD card that goes into my Treo. It is very simple and very
        clean.

        1. Whether you use Itunes (www.itunes.com) or Windows media, take a CD, copy
        tunes into your computer and load them into your Treo. Listen to them so
        make sure you like PTunes. IF, as you certainly will, you like PTunes, then
        upgrade to Deluxe and enjoy it 10X more.
        2. Once you commit to tunes, purchase a 2 gig SD card. 1 gig is fine if you
        already have it. 2 gig is better if you have neither.
        3. Go to Itunes and download the Itunes for windows. Note that this will
        index and show all the tunes you have on your hard drive. Keep in mind that
        it is not storing your tunes, it is indexing them. You can find the
        directory that you tunes are in.
        4. Itunes offers you the opportunity to index and organize all your CD's.
        Purchase tunes from their online store, download and subscribe to Podcasts
        (most are FREE), and many other things.
        5. Once you get your tunes organized, you can insert your card into a card
        reader and drag (copy) the tunes, podcasts, and books from your computer to
        your card.
        6. With the card in your Treo, you can open Ptunes and play forever.

        Keep in mind:
        1. Music does not play through a blue tooth.
        2. The earpiece that came with the Treo is fine plus if you get a phone
        call, it automatically puts PTunes on hold while you take the call.
        3. If you purchase another headset make certain you have a 2.5mm plug or an
        adapter to a 2.5mm plug. Most headsets come with 3.5 mm plugs.
        4. There are other ways to do all of this but this is the way I have chosen
        and it is working very well.

        Is this too much detail or not enough?

        Rusty

        _____

        Message 3 of 12 , Apr 2, 2007
          Do you have any mp3 files that you can save to you an SD card? Do you have
          a card reader to move or copy mp3 files to the SD card? Although, I could
          go on with more questions and answers, you can also go to the Pocket Tunes
          website knowledgebase which has a wealth of information and links to get
          software to create your own mp3 files if you don't have any. You can create
          mp3 files from your own CD's using conversion software. There is also
          software such as "Card Export" that makes your 680 appear as an external
          storage device when you connect your 680 to your PC via the hotsync cable.
          Your can also get a hardware devices known as card readers that usually the
          various types of cards (MMC, SD, Compact Flash).

          You can also get the Pocket Tunes user guide that can provide helpful
          information.

          _____

            Message 5 of 12 , May 16 7:31 AM
              This was an outstanding answer to Lisa's original query about 680 and
              Pocket Tunes. I would only add that you can "rip" your own CD's in
              Windows Media Player or iTunes, just in case you aren't familiar with
              that concept. No fee required. It converts the format to .mp3,
              which plays in PocketTunes.

              In case you get bold, and want to go beyond 2GB card, the larger
              sizes are SDHC, a new format. See this post for driver info, though
              you may have it resident in 680 already.

              > http://mytreo.net/downloads/details-1144.html

              I use the 700p and expansion card as my iPod.
              1. I have a Sandisk 4GB Secure Digital card installed. With the
              driver, 700p recognized it immediately. Sandisk does NOT list this
              as compatible with 700p but it is.
              2. I have PocketTunes 4.0.1, in order to connect to Windows Media
              Player 11 on XP. On my 2 GB card, this synched successfully. It
              also synched successfully with my 4 GB.
              3. I am installing .mp3's on the card. The synch is very slow, I
              ran it all night to get the first batch. Roughly 22 seconds per
              Megabyte. But hey, I was asleep.
              4. "Autorun" recognizes the TREO as a device when I connect TREO &
              WMP11 is not launched;I can open Windows Explorer to see expansion
              card. I can probably drag and drop mp3's as well, don't know if it
              would be quicker.
              5. None of my current card readers are compatible with SDHC cards.
              Sandisk says their micromate ($19.95) and Extreme card readers are
              compatible. This would likely be the fastest way to add files to the
              4GB SD card.
              Dennis

              --- In pockettunes@yahoogroups.com, "Rusty Vaughan" <RustyV@...>

              Message 6 of 12 , May 17 2:12 PM
                Help! Now why will this work with WMP and not with Macintosh hardware;
                I thought Macs were supposed to be more user-friendly?

                My old iMac doesn't have CD burning software, so I tried this on my
                wife's Mac Book - it will only let me burn music that I've previously
                ripped from CDs or purchased from Amazon.com - but not
                tunes "purchased" (or is that "rented") from iTunes.

                The iTunes were purchased and saved as mp3 (file type shows up as m4p
                though - I think. Will check when back home) but I can only "back up"
                my iTune purchases onto CD - can NOT burn a new CD or put onto my Palm
                T/X. If I could burn a CD, I'd bring those tunes to work and then put
                them onto my T/X.

                --- In pockettunes@yahoogroups.com, "dennis_tolsma" <dennis_tolsma@...>
                wrote:

                > This was an outstanding answer to Lisa's original query about 680 and
                > Pocket Tunes. I would only add that you can "rip" your own CD's in
                > Windows Media Player or iTunes, just in case you aren't familiar
              • Corey
                Message 7 of 12 , Dec 26, 2007
                  Sharp,

                  Thanks for forwarding Rusty's quick steps for using a card to take
                  music from iTunes to play on a Treo 680. I am able to copy the music
                  to the card, BUT when I place the card into the phone, it doesn't
                  list the music that's on the card. Any suggestions to what I'm doing
                  wrong?

                  --- In pockettunes@yahoogroups.com, Prabhaker Reddy <ppreddy1990@...>

                  Message 8 of 12 , Dec 27, 2007
                    WHere are you putting the music on the card? Hotsync puts the files in
                    a folder named "audio" at the top level. I don't know if ptunes checks
                    the whole card file system, but it will find it there.

                    Second, when new folks say they are copying "music" to the card, it
                    often turns out they are copying something that ptunes won't play,
                    like protected Itunes songs, or midi files, whatever. The last versions
                    I tried, both Itunes and WMP default to making protected AAC (for
                    itunes) or WMA (for Windows media player) files, and you have to
                    consciously change the option to unprotected and/or mp3.

                    Until you make sure everything works, it would be best to start with a
                    few plain mp3 files.

                    Corey wrote:

                    > Sharp,
                    >
                    > Thanks for forwarding Rusty's quick steps for using a card to take
                    > music from iTunes to play on a Treo 680. I am able to copy the music
                    > to the card, BUT when I place the card into the phone, it doesn't
                    > list the music that's on the card. Any suggestions to what I'm doing
                    > wrong?
                  • Corey Fleming
                    Message 9 of 12 , Dec 28, 2007
                      Don, you are Sharp, ha!!! I just got off the phone with the Palm people and altough they clearly don't have any idea about the software they install on the 680's, they did say in a roundabout way what you just said below. They said that Pockettunes only recognizes mp3 files.

                      Now I'm not a techy person so a couple of questions for you: Why doesn't a song I copy from a CD not show in pockettunes? I copied it using Windows Media. Is it in the wrong format? I can understand why my iTunes songs don't show since they are mp4 files, but I would think a song from a simple CD would be ok. Speaking of format how do I change songs to the correct format as you mentioned below?

                      Thanks a whole lot for responding and thanks in advance for your help!

                      Corey wrote:

                      > Sharp,
                      >
                      > Thanks for forwarding Rusty's quick steps for using a card to take
                      > music from iTunes to play on a Treo 680. I am able to copy the music
                      > to the card, BUT when I place the card into the phone, it doesn't
                      > list the music that's on the card. Any suggestions to what I'm doing
                      > wrong?

                    • Prabhaker Reddy
                      Message 10 of 12 , Dec 28, 2007
                        I agree. Only unprotected files will play from the card with copy and paste technique. All protected have to be synced through p tunes and WMP.

                        Don Perley <perley@...> wrote: WHere are you putting the music on the card? Hotsync puts the files in

                        Corey wrote:

                        > Sharp,
                        >
                        > Thanks for forwarding Rusty's quick steps for using a card to take
                        > music from iTunes to play on a Treo 680. I am able to copy the music
                        > to the card, BUT when I place the card into the phone, it doesn't
                        > list the music that's on the card. Any suggestions to what I'm doing
                        > wrong?

                      • Dave
                        Message 11 of 12 , Dec 28, 2007
                          By the sounds of it, your files were ripped from your CDs to WMA
                          format, that is the default Windows Media Player sets itself to. That
                          or Windows Media Player is converting the files during transfer. If
                          you go to the Knowledge Base, http://www.normsoft.com/kb/ and do a
                          search on Windows Media Player you will find a few articles on how
                          Windows Media Player has some settings that can cause your files to be
                          in WMA when you expect them to be in MP3. Also check Windows Media
                          Player Help section on how to change the format that tracks are ripped
                          to from CD.

                          Just to clarify a bit. The version of Pocket Tunes that comes bundled
                          with the 680 is custom designed for Palm and only plays MP3 files.
                          Pocket Tunes Basic adds WAV and Ogg support and Pocket Tunes Deluxe
                          adds support for WMA, AAC (which include M4A, MP4 among others).

                          We have a table on the purchase page of the Pocket Tunes web site that
                          illustrates the differences between the versions of Pocket Tunes:
                          http://www.pocket-tunes.com/purchase.html

                          Take care,
                          Dave
                          NormSoft, Inc
                          Pocket Tunes Blog: http://www.pocket-tunes.com/news/.
                          User Guide: http://www.pocket-tunes.com/pockettunes/docs/readme.html
                          NormSoft Knowledge Base: http://www.normsoft.com/kb/

                          --- In pockettunes@yahoogroups.com, Corey Fleming <coreyfleming@...>
                          wrote:

                          > Don, you are Sharp, ha!!! I just got off the phone with the Palm
                          people and altough they clearly don't have any idea about the software
                          they install on the 680's, they did say in a roundabout way what you
                          just said below. They said that Pockettunes only recognizes mp3 files.

                          > Now I'm not a techy person so a couple of questions for you: Why
                          doesn't a song I copy from a CD not show in pockettunes? I copied it
                          using Windows Media. Is it in the wrong format? I can understand why
                          my iTunes songs don't show since they are mp4 files, but I would think
                          a song from a simple CD would be ok. Speaking of format how do I
                          change songs to the correct format as you mentioned below?

                          > Thanks a whole lot for responding and thanks in advance for your help!
                          >
                          > Don Perley <perley@...> wrote:
                          > WHere are you putting the music on the card? Hotsync puts
                          the files in
                          > a folder named "audio" at the top level. I don't know if ptunes checks
                          > the whole card file system, but it will find it there.
                          >
                          > Second, when new folks say they are copying "music" to the card, it
                          > often turns out they are copying something that ptunes won't play,
                          > like protected Itunes songs, or midi files, whatever. The last versions
                          > I tried, both Itunes and WMP default to making protected AAC (for
                          > itunes) or WMA (for Windows media player) files, and you have to
                          > consciously change the option to unprotected and/or mp3.
                          >
                          > Until you make sure everything works, it would be best to start with a
                          > few plain mp3 files.
                          >
                          > Corey wrote:
                          > >

                          > > Sharp,
                          > >
                          > > Thanks for forwarding Rusty's quick steps for using a card to take
                          > > music from iTunes to play on a Treo 680. I am able to copy the music
                          > > to the card, BUT when I place the card into the phone, it doesn't
                          > > list the music that's on the card. Any suggestions to what I'm doing
                          > > wrong?

                        • Don Perley
                          Message 12 of 12 , Dec 28, 2007
                            The best thing is not to convert your WMA files to MP3 as that will
                            cause degradation, so re-rip them from CD if you can.

                            In Windows Media Player, use the menu Tools->options, pick the "Copy
                            Music" tab and there are settings for the format, at least in my
                            version 9. In V9, you need to get an extra aftermarket plugin to make
                            mp3 files, but the documentation says V10 can do it from the start. I
                            don't use WMP, so I haven't upgraded.

                            For conversions (aka transcoding) I would use the dbpoweramp converter
                            from www.dbpoweramp.com I also use their ripping program.
                            The other option is to get Ptunes deluxe which will play WMA files directly.

                            -Don