Re: [pockettunes] internet radio

  • Ben Combee
    Message 1 of 16 , Feb 28, 2006
      Steve McGill wrote:
      > My only interest in Ptunes is to listen to internet radio stations. I
      > have yet to be successful in doing so. Are there only certain stations
      > that I can listen to? I have been trying 970wfla.com which offers live
      > streaming audio, and I've not yet gotten the audio to come up. I can
      > listen to music from my exp. card with no problem. I also have loaded on
      > my treo 650, realplayer.

      WFLA has a Windows Media Format stream, not a MP3 stream. Pocket
      Tunes can't do Windows Media streaming right now -- it can only handle
      Shoutcast-format streams.
    • Vicki Gorman
      Message 2 of 16 , Mar 1, 2006
        Hi Alli,

        Thanks for recommending shoutcast. I am a classical music lover and this is going to be a great website for future use. So let me understand (I'm still learning about this Palm T|X and have a long way to go) - if I download the costlier version of pocket-tunes, I can stream shoutcast over my Palm when I'm in wireless range? I can't find anything on their site (it's probably there but I just don't see it) - are you doing this? How do you hook up to shoutcast on the Palm? Just use the blazer browser and enter it as a favorite or what?

        Thanks,

        Vicki

        Alli <alli@...> wrote:
        Go to http://shoutcast.com for streaming stations.

        Steve McGill wrote:
        > My only interest in Ptunes is to listen to internet radio stations. I
        > have yet to be successful in doing so. Are there only certain stations
        > that I can listen to? I have been trying 970wfla.com which offers live
        > streaming audio, and I've not yet gotten the audio to come up. I can
        > listen to music from my exp. card with no problem. I also have loaded on
        > my treo 650, realplayer.
        >

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

        Affiliate program software Construction software program Medical software program Accounting software program Estate program real software Software development program

        ---------------------------------

      • Melvin Spruill Sr, Ma M Ed
        Message 3 of 16 , Mar 2, 2006
          WFLA has a Windows Media Format stream, not a MP3 stream. Pocket
          Tunes can't do Windows Media streaming right now -- it can only handle
          Shoutcast-format streams.

          The underlined statement in red is partly true. I say partly in that if
          you go to any internet radio station (http://www.miracleworksradionetwork.ort/index.htm)
          tune into the radio station ( make sure it is playing in winamp), then
          save your file as a playlist file. you can then do one of two things
          either save the file to your Treo 650 then listen to it, or if you have a
          card reader, drag the file to your card and then listen to it from
          there. there is a "how to" retrieve station on this message board read
          them for clarity. live365 has over 48 thousand stations in EVERY format
          imaginable to the listener's pallette. so enjoy and they are ALL in mp3
          and mp3PRO format good luck and enjoy

          24 Hours a day 7 days a week, 365 days a year in digital stereo you are listening to GPN The Gospel Praise Network. click link below to listen now

          http://www.miracleworksradionetwork.org/index.htm

        • Jeff Loomis
          Message 4 of 16 , Mar 2, 2006
            Vicki Gorman asked:

            > So let me understand (I'm still learning about this Palm T|X
            > and have a long way to go) - if I download the costlier
            > version of pocket-tunes, I can stream shoutcast over my Palm
            > when I'm in wireless range? I can't find anything on their
            > site (it's probably there but I just don't see it) - are you
            > doing this? How do you hook up to shoutcast on the Palm?
            > Just use the blazer browser and enter it as a favorite or what?

            You can use Blazer to find a station at www.shoutcast.com or
            www.treobits.com, among other sites. When you click the link to play the
            station, you should choose "Save to Device", followed by "Save and open"
            when prompted. Pocket Tunes will start playing the station in the
            background. If you switch into Pocket Tunes at this point you will be able
            to see the station information.

            Once you have played a station once, you can return to it from within Pocket
            Tunes by opening the Choose Songs dialog using Actions -> Open or the Open
            button. In the Choose Songs dialog, select the pulldown at the top right
            and choose "Internet Audio". You will then see a list of stations you have
            listened to. You can choose one and select "OK" to return to that station.

            If you want to try internet audio, you can get the 15 day free trial of the
            deluxe upgrade by downloading from
            http://www.pocket-tunes.com/download.html. You can also go to Pocket Tunes
            on your T|X and use the Help -> Check for Updates... menu.

            You can find some more instructions for Internet Audio listening in the
            Pocket Tunes user guide here:

            http://www.pocket-tunes.com/pockettunes/docs/readme.html#ShoutCast

            There are also some articles in our support knowledge base that contain more
            information and tips for Internet Audio:

            http://www.normsoft.com/kb/idx/19/029/article/
            http://www.normsoft.com/kb/idx/19/030/article/
            http://www.normsoft.com/kb/idx/19/128/article/
            http://www.normsoft.com/kb/idx/19/124/article/

            I hope this helps!

            Jeff Loomis
            NormSoft, Inc.
            www.normsoft.com
          • Vicki Gorman
            Message 5 of 16 , Mar 2, 2006
              Jeff,

              Thanks very much for your thoughtful and knowledgeable reply!!

              Best regards,
              Vicki

              Vicki Gorman asked:

              Message 6 of 16 , Mar 2, 2006
                here is a statin for you and it runs through shoutcast

                http://www.dragonsradio.com/8080

                24 Hours a day 7 days a week, 365 days a year in digital stereo you are listening to GPN The Gospel Praise Network. click link below to listen now

                http://www.miracleworksradionetwork.org/index.htm

              • Annie
                Message 7 of 16 , Mar 5, 2006
                  Are there any plans for a Ptunes enhancement that will allow "mainstream" internet radio to be played (eg Windows Media)? If so, when?

                  I upgraded Ptunes because I want to listen to ABC radio in Australia. Alas, ABC does not stream with Shoutcast.. It's quite disappointing to find that I am limited to Shoutcast streams only when using Ptunes..

                  Here in Australia, it's very rare to find a commercial radio station that has a shoutcast stream - however, there are hundreds that use windows media format streaming.

                  Ptunes is a nice product and behaves well on my Palm TX but unfortunately, the "streaming radio" upgrade is very limiting and therefore of little to me

                  > My only interest in Ptunes is to listen to internet radio stations. I
                  > have yet to be successful in doing so. Are there only certain stations
                  > that I can listen to? I have been trying 970wfla.com which offers live
                  > streaming audio, and I've not yet gotten the audio to come up. I can
                  > listen to music from my exp. card with no problem. I also have loaded on
                  > my treo 650, realplayer.

                  WFLA has a Windows Media Format stream, not a MP3 stream. Pocket
                  Tunes can't do Windows Media streaming right now -- it can only handle
                  Shoutcast-format streams.

                  Accounting software program Estate program real software Software development program

                • Brien Wheeler
                  Message 8 of 16 , Mar 6, 2006
                    Annie,

                    We are always listening to input from users regarding desired
                    features and incorporating that input into our product
                    plans. Windows Media streaming is a popular request. However, it is
                    our policy not to publicly comment on future releases with regards to
                    date or included functionality.

                    Cheers,
                    Brien
                    NormSoft, Inc.

                    At 12:51 AM 3/6/2006, Annie wrote:
                    >Are there any plans for a Ptunes enhancement that will allow
                    >"mainstream" internet radio to be played (eg Windows Media)? If so, when?
                    >
                    >I upgraded Ptunes because I want to listen to ABC radio in
                    >Australia. Alas, ABC does not stream with Shoutcast.. It's quite
                    >disappointing to find that I am limited to Shoutcast streams only
                    >when using Ptunes..
                    >
                    >Here in Australia, it's very rare to find a commercial radio station
                    >that has a shoutcast stream - however, there are hundreds that use
                    >windows media format streaming.
                    >
                    >Ptunes is a nice product and behaves well on my Palm TX but
                    >unfortunately, the "streaming radio" upgrade is very limiting and
                    >therefore of little to me
                  • Mark Izzo
                    Message 9 of 16 , Mar 6, 2006
                      i think this feature is something which will enhance the product as well and given the fact Iradio from motorola is on the horizon one which will keep the product competitive against this new internet radio streaming market which i fill is a large market yet to be serviced

                      Brien Wheeler <Brien.Wheeler@...> wrote: Annie,

                      ---------------------------------

                      Message 10 of 16 , Mar 6, 2006
                        Annie wrote:
                        > Are there any plans for a Ptunes enhancement that will allow "mainstream" internet radio to be played (eg Windows Media)? If so, when?
                        >
                        > I upgraded Ptunes because I want to listen to ABC radio in Australia. Alas, ABC does not stream with Shoutcast.. It's quite disappointing to find that I am limited to Shoutcast streams only when using Ptunes..

                        The station I listen to most switched to WMA a few years back. They got enough complaints that they switched back. Which one is "mainstream" depends on whether you are asking someone from microsoft. Certainly more different computers and DAP's are able to play shoutcast.

                        I don't know if WMA costs less to send than MP3. If that were the real driving force, then they would use Ogg/vorbis which has zero license cost (and some do).
                      • Annie
                        Message 11 of 16 , Mar 9, 2006
                          Perley,

                          The huge majority of people in Australia who listen to streaming media and the huge majority of Australian streaming content providers all deal with Windows Media and to a slightly lesser extent, Real. Unfortunately, Shoutcast streams come a distant third in Australia.

                          I do reader surveys for Australia's largest computer magazine - that's where I get the above information. We find that our results usually (although not always) correlate with the results of similar surveys done in the UK, the US and many other major markets. (Japan is a notable exception, where things are often different.)

                          So I use the term "mainstream" has nothing to do with Microsoft. We don't survey Microsoft (what would be the point in doing that?!) although we likely hit some of the MS employees who buy our mag.

                          To be equipment specific, it seems to me that despite Palm's excellent (but last gasp?) efforts with the T|X, Lifedrive and their ilk, buyers won't wait long for a PTunes driver that supports mainstream (ie WM and/or Real) - they will head towards gear that allows them to stream WM and/or Real. There is some discussion on Australian boards about this very issue but most people agree about what I have just said. Guessing, I would not be surprised if the situation is similar in other countries.

                          On a different tangent, there are strong rumours around that a new ipod will soon be released with streaming radio capabilities and that the unit will have streaming WM and Real functionality.

                          Annie

                          > Are there any plans for a Ptunes enhancement that will allow "mainstream" internet radio to be played (eg Windows Media)? If so, when?
                          >
                          > I upgraded Ptunes because I want to listen to ABC radio in Australia. Alas, ABC does not stream with Shoutcast.. It's quite disappointing to find that I am limited to Shoutcast streams only when using Ptunes..

                          The station I listen to most switched to WMA a few years back. They got enough complaints that they switched back. Which one is "mainstream" depends on whether you are asking someone from microsoft. Certainly more different computers and DAP's are able to play shoutcast.

                          I don't know if WMA costs less to send than MP3. If that were the real driving force, then they would use Ogg/vorbis which has zero license cost (and some do).

                        • Micael
                          Message 12 of 16 , Mar 10, 2006
                            > Date: Fri, 10 Mar 2006 00:08:55 +1030
                            > From: "Annie" <annieaussie@...>
                            > Subject: Re: internet radio
                            >
                            > On a different tangent, there are strong rumours
                            > around that a new ipod will soon be released with
                            > streaming radio capabilities and that the unit will
                            > have streaming WM and Real functionality.
                            >
                            > Annie

                            Depending on which station, they may or may not be
                            able to access the WM or Real stream, regardless of
                            compatability.

                            I've done my own surveying here in the US. Many of
                            these stations that stream WM are pushing their own
                            webclients to the desktop so they can pipe advertising
                            to you. Its a growing revenue stream, making WM very
                            attractive. Why offer MP3 when I can make money from
                            advertisers if I use WM?

                            Sure, some ppl may be able to hack past the WM
                            push-client and access a stream manually, but most ppl
                            can't or won't bother.

                            A few of the 'streaming services' companies out there
                            offer MP3 streams to thier radio clients, but not
                            many. Clear Channel, the US's larget radio
                            conglomerate has standardized on WM for the
                            advertising stream and consolidation of support
                            services.

                            Mic

                            http://mail.yahoo.com
                          • Julius No
                            Message 13 of 16 , Mar 11, 2006
                              > A few of the 'streaming services' companies out there
                              > offer MP3 streams to thier radio clients, but not
                              > many. Clear Channel, the US's larget radio
                              > conglomerate has standardized on WM for the
                              > advertising stream and consolidation of support
                              > services.
                              >
                              > Mic

                              I run a small streaming network that does not advertise at all,
                              excepting some advertising embedded in some programs I rebroadcast
                              that I don't have time to edit out. I only have live programming on
                              Sunday and Monday.

                              You would think alot of people would like to listen to programs that
                              have little advertising and would hunt them down to access programs
                              from a web site that provides links to non commercial radio programing.

                              One would think, but it hasn't worked out that way. I am averaging
                              about 2 listeners at any time during the week, I use Ogg exclusively,
                              and I find it works very well, yet I find some people can't even
                              discern between Winamp, that can play Ogg out of the box, and Windows
                              Media Player that can't.

                              I get alot more bandwidth via my archives than the live stream by a
                              factor of a hundred or so.

                              http://network76.com/

                              Audio archive http://simmeringfrogs.com/ogg/

                              Video archive http://simmeringfrogs.com/video/