Re: [pockettunes] Re: Beyond Compare for podcast files

  • marcelo la rosa
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 29, 2005
      --- Rudy Ramsey <rudy@...> escribió:

      ---------------------------------
      Jeff,

      >>There is a program called Card Export II from
      Softick
      (http://www.softick.com/cardexport2/) that allows a
      Palm to work like a
      card reader when hooked up to the USB port. Just like
      a dedicated card
      reader, the card on the Palm appears as a drive on the
      PC. This tool
      could be used to do the type of synchronization you
      described.

      >>Some of the newer Palms include a tool called "Drive
      Mode" that does the
      same thing. I know that both the T5 and the LifeDrive
      have this
      feature, but I'm not sure if any other models
      currently do. Some Sony
      Clie models also included a similar feature.

      Thanks for the useful information. Do you have any
      experience with the
      transfer rates achieved using either of these
      approaches? I'm not expecting
      exact numbers; I'm just wondering if they're similar
      in speed to the use of
      a card reader, or if the Palm program overhead reduces
      it a lot.

      Rudy

      Terms of Service.

      ---------------------------------

      PLEASE:STOP

      1GB gratis, Antivirus y Antispam
      http://correo.yahoo.com.ar
    • R Mack
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 3, 2005
        --- Rudy Ramsey <rudy@...> wrote:

        > Jeff,
        >
        > >>There is a program called Card Export II from
        > Softick
        > (http://www.softick.com/cardexport2/) that allows a
        > Palm to work like a
        > card reader when hooked up to the USB port. Just
        > like a dedicated card
        > reader, the card on the Palm appears as a drive on
        > the PC. This tool
        > could be used to do the type of synchronization you
        > described.
        >
        > <snip>
        >
        > Thanks for the useful information. Do you have any
        > experience with the
        > transfer rates achieved using either of these
        > approaches? I'm not expecting
        > exact numbers; I'm just wondering if they're similar
        > in speed to the use of
        > a card reader, or if the Palm program overhead
        > reduces it a lot.
        >
        > Rudy

        Sorry, I don't remember what device you are using.

        I own Card Export II. The Treo line at least only
        supports USB 1, so the transfer rates are slower than
        what you would get with a USB 2 cardreader. I find
        that Card Export is most useful for the convenience; I
        use it with a retractable charge/sync cable at work
        and when traveling so that i don't have to carry
        anything else with me, but at home I usually use a
        card reader for transferring big files. It is great
        when your friend wants to give you a single file and
        you don't have a thumb drive; you can just plug into
        any type of computer and copy files over to your SD
        card.

        Besides the slow speed, another downside of CEII is
        that your phone can't do anything else while it is
        running (incoming calls go directly to voicemail, no
        alarms will sound, etc). Once I started a big music
        transfer and forgot it was connected to my laptop, and
        left it that way for a few hours. My battery got nice
        and charged, but I missed a couple of calls. So
        again, I find it is best for small transfers, not for
        moving 1gb of music to your phone.

        -rob

        http://mail.yahoo.com