Re: [pockettunes] Pocket Tunes Forums

  • Aaron
    Message 1 of 12 , Mar 31, 2004
      thanks tim! i love the open and responsive nature of your company.

      aaron

      On Thu, 01 Apr 2004 00:30:36 -0000, "NormSoft, Inc." <tim@...>
      said:
      > I've set up some alternative Pocket Tunes forums on our web site at
      > http://www.pocket-tunes.com/forum/
      >
      > You'll have to register in order to post messages, but anyone can
      > view messages.
      >
      > This is just a test right now. I will monitor the forums and answer
      > all questions on it, but if it turns out not to be popular, then we
      > will remove it.
      >
      > Let me know your feedback! (Post it on the new forum in the General
      > Discussion area.)
      >
      > There is an area for off-topic discussions if you feel inclined to
      > continue the discussion about DRM. ;)
      >
      > (Note: Currently you can't subscribe to a forum, so you'll have to
      > visit the page periodically to check for new posts. Hopefully the
      > Phorum folks will add this capability soon. :] www.phorum.org is
      > the forum software we're using.)
      >
      > Take care,
      > Tim Norman
      > NormSoft, Inc.
      >

      > Yahoo! Groups Links

    • Brian Morrison
      Message 2 of 12 , Mar 31, 2004
        On Thu, 01 Apr 2004 00:30:36 -0000 in c4fnrc+oafk@... "NormSoft,
        Inc." <tim@...> wrote:

        > This is just a test right now. I will monitor the forums and answer
        > all questions on it, but if it turns out not to be popular, then we
        > will remove it.

        Is the obverse true, in that if the forums turn out to be popular will
        you discontinue this list?

        --

        Brian Morrison

        tunes at fenrir dot org dot uk
      • Tim Norman
        Message 3 of 12 , Apr 1, 2004
          > > This is just a test right now. I will monitor the forums
          > and answer
          > > all questions on it, but if it turns out not to be popular, then we
          > > will remove it.
          >
          > Is the obverse true, in that if the forums turn out to be popular will
          > you discontinue this list?

          Probably, but that's quite a while away, I would think. We'll make the
          transition as easy as possible, of course. I probably won't do this at
          least until Phorum adds mailing list integration; I think a lot of people
          subscribe to this group via email and never visit the Yahoo forum web page.

          I like the fact that there are no ads :)

          Take care,
          Tim Norman
          NormSoft, Inc.
        • Brandt, Jeffrey
          Message 4 of 12 , Apr 1, 2004
            Message
            I belong to hmm lets see... about 100 business-oriented and at least that many personal discussion groups (all managed into Outlook subfolders with rules).  I'd hate to lose this one, but I don't have the time or the human gray matter memory to be able to remember them all and go out to a webpage to read messages.

            Hopefully you won't leave this one until the other is a true 'listserv'.

            JB

            Notice: This communication, including attachments, may contain information that is
            confidential and protected by the attorney/client or other privileges.  It constitutes
            non-public information intended to be conveyed only to the designated recipient(s).
            If the reader or recipient of this communication is not the intended recipient, an
            employee or agent of the intended recipient who is responsible for delivering it to
            the intended recipient, or you believe that you have received this communication in
            error, please notify the sender immediately by return e-mail and promptly delete this
            e-mail, including attachments without reading or saving them in any manner.  The
            unauthorized use, dissemination, distribution, or reproduction of this e-mail,
            including attachments, is prohibited and may be unlawful.  Receipt by anyone other
            than the intended recipient(s) is not a waiver of any attorney/client or other privilege.

          • boatdude44
            Message 5 of 12 , Apr 1, 2004
              Tim,
              Have you looked at http://www.phpbb.com/ for forum software?

              --- In pockettunes@yahoogroups.com, "Tim Norman" <tim@n...> wrote:
              > > > This is just a test right now. I will monitor the forums
              > > and answer
              > > > all questions on it, but if it turns out not to be popular,
              then we
              > > > will remove it.
              > >
              > > Is the obverse true, in that if the forums turn out to be popular
              will
              > > you discontinue this list?
              >
              > Probably, but that's quite a while away, I would think. We'll make
              the
              > transition as easy as possible, of course. I probably won't do
              this at
              > least until Phorum adds mailing list integration; I think a lot of
              people
              > subscribe to this group via email and never visit the Yahoo forum
              web page.

              > I like the fact that there are no ads :)
              >
              > Take care,
              > Tim Norman
              > NormSoft, Inc.
            • boatdude44
              Message 6 of 12 , Apr 1, 2004
                Message 7 of 12 , Apr 1, 2004
                  On Thu, 1 Apr 2004 09:13:32 -0500 in
                  00db01c417f3$87269140$667ba8c0@abstract "Tim Norman" <tim@...>
                  wrote:

                  > > > This is just a test right now. I will monitor the forums
                  > > and answer
                  > > > all questions on it, but if it turns out not to be popular, then
                  > > > we will remove it.
                  > >
                  > > Is the obverse true, in that if the forums turn out to be popular
                  > > will you discontinue this list?
                  >
                  > Probably, but that's quite a while away, I would think. We'll make
                  > the transition as easy as possible, of course. I probably won't do
                  > this at least until Phorum adds mailing list integration; I think a
                  > lot of people subscribe to this group via email and never visit the
                  > Yahoo forum web page.

                  I try very hard to use mailing lists and newsgroups instead of web-based
                  stuff. Probably showing my age, but I really dislike tasks that can't be
                  automated and web forums are not good in that way.

                  Mailing list integration sounds interesting though, is there any
                  information on that anywhere?

                  > I like the fact that there are no ads :)

                  On that we can all agree.....

                  Message 8 of 12 , Apr 1, 2004
                    > Have you looked at http://www.phpbb.com/ for forum software?

                    Yes, but I don't see any way to integrate phpbb with a mailing list. Phorum
                    has plans to do this.

                    Tim Norman
                    NormSoft, Inc.
                  • Brenda
                    Message 9 of 12 , Apr 1, 2004
                      On Thu, 1 Apr 2004 07:53:47 +0100, Brian Morrison wrote:
                      >Is the obverse true, in that if the forums turn out to be popular will
                      >you discontinue this list?

                      I hope not. I don't like web forums. They take much longer to use than an
                      email list.

                      I think its good to have a forum for those that like them. I hope it
                      doesn't mean that we will switch to that instead of an email list, though.

                      Brenda
                    • Brenda
                      Message 10 of 12 , Apr 1, 2004
                        On Thu, 1 Apr 2004 19:31:44 +0100, Brian Morrison wrote:
                        >>I like the fact that there are no ads :)
                        >
                        >On that we can all agree.....

                        you can get away from Yahoo ads.

                        Go into your user page for the list in question. Change to the setting
                        that says Do not convert to HTML. This will stop the ads if the user
                        doesn't post in HTML. If they do, you'll still get the ads.

                        To get rid of ads in an easier way.. the list owner can go in and set it
                        so that email attachments are not permitted. This also disables HTML so it
                        disables the ads.

                        Brenda
                      • Tim Norman
                        Message 11 of 12 , Apr 1, 2004
                          > I hope not. I don't like web forums. They take much longer to
                          > use than an
                          > email list.

                          Don't worry. We're not going to switch unless the replacement forum has the
                          same level of email integration that Yahoo Groups has.

                          Tim Norman
                          NormSoft, Inc.