Re: [pockettunes] Re: "We are sorry to say that we are no longer able to offer customer support."

  • Guy Greenwood
    Message 1 of 27 , Feb 25, 2012
      Find me a phone with as versatile a Calender as the 700P I put to pasture in my
      drawer cause it still looked so nice! My Treo Pro has a few new tricks on it's
      Windows mobile OS that make up for its Calender that sucks, but almost 4 years
      later, I haven't seen any new features anywhere that warrant a new phone. Having
      to buy a much more expensive data plan it I do doubles down on it.

      Plam OS streamed music on a Treo 600 and saved Email attachments using Ptunes
      around  late 2004. Iphone released in late 2007 took 2 years to learn how to
      stream music and wasn't half the phone of my 700P. My Treo Pro released in Late
      2008 came with features Iphone 3 released in 2009 didn't have until 2011.
      Only thing Win Moble 6.1 fell really hort on in the English version was language
      support. I tried installing Chinese support, but removed it because it made the
      OS unstable.

      Today after jumping through hoops, I had it confirmed my Treo Pro is on a slow
      death spiral and needs replacement under
      extended warranty. Looks like I might slowly be loosing streaming support
      for Wondur Radio which I started using after Ptunes lost most of my favorite
      stations. At least I can open a mobile hot-spot to support a streaming device
      with wi-fi. Since HTC designed the Treo Pro, when left no other choice, I will
      likely buy one of their keyboard phones on win mobile

      ________________________________
      Message 2 of 27 , Feb 26, 2012
        I totally resemble that remark. I hate that Palm (and subsequently, HP), could never figure out how to market their products. I used WebOS breifly and saw so much potential in it. It's a shame that HP could not attract developers to the platform.

        That said, I'll run my treo until a trash truck runs over it or something. It it getting long in the tooth. Siri is really nice. I criticize a lot of non-keyboard phones because it makes one-hand operations difficult. Siri helps immensely in that department.

        Back to PocketTunes. I'd really like to perchase the latest version for Garnet. I'd love to have album art support. I'm not interested in customer support, I'm not intereseted in new development. I understand the Microsoft licensing issues, but there has to be a compromise that can be reached.

        Maybe someone is willing to sell me their PRC that they no longer use? I'm still holding out hope.

        --- In pockettunes@yahoogroups.com, "donthb" <donhb@...> wrote:

        > Palm OS is not a walled garden the way iOS, Windows Phone and Android are (in that order). Find me a phone which is as open today as Palm OS has been and is as minimal a malware target, I will reconsider. Until such a device exists, I will wait until my phone dies and I am forced to deal with privacy issues of Android, the walled gardens and privacy issues of iOS or Windows Phone. Even webOS had these issues and developers, if they were to support the platform, were forced to open source their code. This last item, I think, is why webOS failed to get the developer support that many pundits think is required for a successful mobile platform.
        >
        > I believe mobile technology has taken as many steps forward as back.
        >

        > --- In pockettunes@yahoogroups.com, "Herb Ringersen" <hringersen@> wrote:
        > >
        > > Wakeup and get a new phone. Pocket Tunes was great 3 years ago.
        > > So as the Horse & Buggy back in the day! Stop clinging to old unsupported
        > > technknowlogy that you don't need.

      • LD
        Message 3 of 27 , Mar 3, 2012
          Agreed. I was streaming music with PTunes way back then. Check out
          thestreamcenter.com/pda to find up to date stream URLs

          _____________________________

          Message 4 of 27 , Mar 3, 2012
            Garnet was Great! Trouble was it couldn't walk, talk, and juggle at the same
            time. (If HP wouldn't have destroyed WebOS, it would be a contender) So far
            other than a tablet, I'll stick with Microsoft. I am thinking of a small Harmony
            tablet to Wifi W/ my Win Mobile 6.1 Treo Pro.

            ________________________________
            I totally resemble that remark. I hate that Palm (and subsequently, HP), could
            never figure out how to market their products. I used WebOS breifly and saw so
            much potential in it. It's a shame that HP could not attract developers to the
            platform.

            That said, I'll run my treo until a trash truck runs over it or something. It it
            getting long in the tooth. Siri is really nice. I criticize a lot of
            non-keyboard phones because it makes one-hand operations difficult. Siri helps
            immensely in that department.

            Back to PocketTunes. I'd really like to perchase the latest version for Garnet.
            I'd love to have album art support. I'm not interested in customer support, I'm
            not intereseted in new development. I understand the Microsoft licensing issues,
            but there has to be a compromise that can be reached.

            Maybe someone is willing to sell me their PRC that they no longer use? I'm still
            holding out hope.

            --- In pockettunes@yahoogroups.com, "donthb" <donhb@...> wrote:

            > Palm OS is not a walled garden the way iOS, Windows Phone and Android are (in
            >that order). Find me a phone which is as open today as Palm OS has been and is
            >as minimal a malware target, I will reconsider. Until such a device exists, I
            >will wait until my phone dies and I am forced to deal with privacy issues of
            >Android, the walled gardens and privacy issues of iOS or Windows Phone. Even
            >webOS had these issues and developers, if they were to support the platform,
            >were forced to open source their code. This last item, I think, is why webOS
            >failed to get the developer support that many pundits think is required for a
            >successful mobile platform.
            >
            > I believe mobile technology has taken as many steps forward as back.
            >

            > --- In pockettunes@yahoogroups.com, "Herb Ringersen" <hringersen@> wrote:
            > >
            > > Wakeup and get a new phone. Pocket Tunes was great 3 years ago.
            > > So as the Horse & Buggy back in the day! Stop clinging to old unsupported
            > > technknowlogy that you don't need.

          • dblob1x2_x
            Message 5 of 27 , Jun 15, 2012
              For quite a while now, Pocket Tunes, shows: "0% done updating radio
              catalog", but I was too busy to find a solution. Today I decided to
              find a fix and discovered Normsoft no longer supports PT on the iPhone,
              which probably the answer to my problem. I guess I should be glad that
              my favorites list includes most of the stations I listen to, since my
              radio catalog has been static for some time.

              --- In pockettunes@yahoogroups.com, "DanielM" <daniel.mackay@...> wrote:

              > What does it mean that Normsoft no longer supports Pocket Tunes? It's
              a best selling app on the iPhone, sells for a relatively large amount of
              money, and yet this page:

              > http://www.normsoft.com/support/
              >
              > and this page:
              >
              > http://www.pocket-tunes.com/scripts/support.php
              >
              > Clearly say that they no longer do tech support. Is the company
              tits-up? Is there some other way to get support?

              > I want to report a bunch of dead stations in the catalog, and get them
              to fix them up and issue a new catalog.

            • Donald Perley
              Message 6 of 27 , Jun 17, 2012
                On Fri, Jun 15, 2012 at 5:31 PM, dblob1x2_x <dblob1x2_x@...> wrote:

                > **
                >

                > my
                > radio catalog has been *static* for some time.

                Well, that's one way to sum it up!

              • Guy Greenwood
                Message 7 of 27 , Jun 17, 2012
                  Try the Wundur Radio app if you just can't stand commercials, or if you can
                  ignore them try Tunein Radio which is free.

                  > Note the winmobile 6 version of Wundur does not have the same level of support.
                  >Preferring Chinese music, many of my favorites are not being updated <

                  My G2 Itouch left a bad taste in my mouth for Apple because it doesn't play well
                  with others regarding content and Juke Boxes.  This is reason other than the
                  Itouch, there are now (4) Droid devices in my home instead of Apple
                  devices. Since my employer provided a Iphone for work needs I have no complaints
                  about reliabality. I use several of the apps on my Itouch I & work Iphone I
                  used on plam and winmobile 6, in addition to others I use on Droid ICS devices.
                  What I don't like is mandatory use of Itunes Jukebox. Fortunate all apps are in
                  the clouds, and those handy at work were available for download to the Iphone.

                  BTW: There is a Realplayer app for beta Droid, and it is on speaking terms with
                  Realplayer Plus. Putting up with a new OS is obligatory from time to time; but
                  it is hubris to expect customers to re-learn EVERYTHING so ANY company can make
                  more money. My time to learn their product IS a bigger expense than their
                  product

                  Guy

                  ________________________________
                  For quite a while now, Pocket Tunes, shows: "0% done updating radio
                  catalog", but I was too busy to find a solution. Today I decided to
                  find a fix and discovered Normsoft no longer supports PT on the iPhone,
                  which probably the answer to my problem. I guess I should be glad that
                  my favorites list includes most of the stations I listen to, since my
                  radio catalog has been static for some time.

                  --- In pockettunes@yahoogroups.com, "DanielM" <daniel.mackay@...> wrote:

                  > What does it mean that Normsoft no longer supports Pocket Tunes? It's
                  a best selling app on the iPhone, sells for a relatively large amount of
                  money, and yet this page:

                  > http://www.normsoft.com/support/
                  >
                  > and this page:
                  >
                  > http://www.pocket-tunes.com/scripts/support.php
                  >
                  > Clearly say that they no longer do tech support. Is the company
                  tits-up? Is there some other way to get support?

                  > I want to report a bunch of dead stations in the catalog, and get them
                  to fix them up and issue a new catalog.

                • divaberyl
                  Message 8 of 27 , Jun 18, 2012
                    Although I've used Pockettunes in one form or another since I used a
                    Palmpilot. There are 4 features that needed to be replaced on my
                    iPad/iPod/iPhone when, like Norm, I moved on. It was nice having all of
                    these in one app but some good things do come to an end.
                    Radio: All of my stations are found on iHeartradio and/or TuneIn
                    Radio. These 2 "free" apps synchronize user favorites across multiple
                    platforms as well. Podcast: I rarely use them so the stock (free)
                    player suffices. I cannot recommend a replacementScanner: US Police
                    Scanner ("free") (I accidentally purchased Norm's Pocket Tunes Police
                    Emergency Scanner which also works but I don't know if he uses a feed
                    that doesn't require on-going support.)Sirius/XM: Sirius/XM (free)
                    and/or MusicDock ("free") - the developer provides NO support for it so
                    some channels are missing

                    *"free" is ad-supported but there may be "Pro" versions that remove