Re: Step Reader of POCKET e-Sword???

  • ottodking
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 9, 2005
      > Is there a step reader for Pocket e-Sword?

      No. I got this information directly from the developer last night.
    • sshields.geo
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 9, 2005
        Thanks.

        Are there any plans for such a thing?

        --- In pocket_esword@yahoogroups.com, "ottodking" <n2theson@a...> wrote:
        > > Is there a step reader for Pocket e-Sword?
        >
        > No. I got this information directly from the developer last night.
      • Jonathon Blake
        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 9, 2005
          On 7/9/05, sshields.geo <sshields.geo@...> wrote:

          > Are there any plans for such a thing?

          I doubt it.

          Nobody is creating STEP modules anymore. [You can't even buy the
          software to create STEP modules anymore.

          The majority of STEP modules that are currently available, are
          locked/only readable by the software that the STEP module vendor
          sells. [So much for their aim of "a common format that will be
          readable with any Bible Study Software".]

          OSIS and ThML have pretty much replaced STEP as the file format of choice.

          xan

          jonathon
          --
          Does your Office Suite conform to ISO Standards?
        • Rex D. Hutto
          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 9, 2005
            Message
            Here's an exact quote from Rick's post: " *At this time* the modules for e-Sword are different from the modules for Pocket e-Sword. There is no STEP Reader for PPC *yet*." I will leave it to you to interpret "at this time" and "yet." :)

            Message 5 of 6 , Jul 9, 2005
              Rex wrote:

              >I will leave it to you to interpret "at this time" and "yet." :)

              LightByDesign sells STEP modules --- one CD for $20.000
              I list twelve modules from them, in _The e-Sword Module Database_

              I list six more STEP modules that can be downloaded from e-Sword.net.

              That is the entire list of STEP modules I have been able to locate that:
              i) are currently available;
              ii) Work with e-Sword;

              I would appreciate it if anybody can point me to other STEP modules
              that meet both of those requirements.

              In passing, I'll also point out that _the Sword Project_ has abandoned
              plans of including a STEP reader in that project. They also have
              abandoned plans to write to/from conversions utilities for STEP and
              other file formats.

              xan

              jonathon
              --
              Does your Office Suite conform to ISO Standards?