A real noobie question - sorry!

  • alanmacza
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 24, 2010
      I haven't really been paying much attention to my e-Sword e-mails lately - too much other stuff going on. I know that development and support is no longer going on with Pocket e-Sword but really need to find some modules. What I am mainly looking for is the NIV with commentaries etc. I know that estudysource has it for sale for the PC, but is it available (for a fee) for the PPC?

      I don't want to get into a copyright battle, but is it legeal to buy the PC version and convert it to PPC (if possible)?

      Blessings and TIA
      Alan
    • jonathon
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 25, 2010
        On 09/25/2010 06:06 AM, alanmacza wrote:

        > I know that estudysource has it for sale for the PC, but is it
        available (for a fee) for the PPC?

        The emails I've received from Phil on that issue have been, "confusing":
        * If the resource was released for e-Sword after 15 December 2009, a
        version of it for Pocket e-Sword was _not_ created;
        * If the resource was released for e-Sword prior to 15 December 2009, a
        version of it was created for Pocket e-Sword, if Pocket e-Sword
        supported that resource type;
        * The cost for the e-Sword resource and the Pocket e-Sword resource is
        identical;
        * If you have the eStudySource item number, the Pocket e-Sword resource
        can be purchased after 1 January 2010 from eStudySource;
        * After 1 December 2010, Pocket e-Sword resources were not listed on the
        eStudySource site;

        >but is it legal to buy the PC version and convert it to PPC (if possible)?

        a) Current ( e-Sword Resource Format Specification 2 ) officially
        distributed resources for e-Sword are encrypted. Without the decryption
        key, you won't be able to convert them to a usable format;

        b) Format shifting is a technical breach of the e-Sword license;

        c) Under US Law, EULAs trump copyright law. I don't know what South
        African Law says. :( [ The solicitor in South Africa I talked to,
        didn't feel qualified to render a legal opinion --- his expertise is in
        real property --- referring me instead to a barrister that I haven't
        yet talked to. ]

        jonathon
        --
        No human will see non-list, non-bulk, non-junk email sent to this address.
        It all gets forwarded to /dev/null