Smartphone version???

  • prosperity_minister
    Message 1 of 9 , Nov 1, 2007
      Does anyone know whether or not a smartphone version is being
      developed????
    • myrrh-info@houseofmyrrh.com
      Message 2 of 9 , Nov 2, 2007
        AFAIK... No...

        AFAIK, at this time Pocket e-Sword in developed for Windows Mobile
        running ARM compatible processors.

        It is theoretically possible that a Smartphone based on Windows Mobile
        running an ARM compatible processor can run e-Sword if it also has a
        Touch Screen and the manufacturer hasn't "crippled" too much of the
        Windows Mobile installation.

        I think "ActiveSync" is also required...

        It might be helpful if, when asking such questions, that the requesters
        include make, model, and any other specifics about the particular
        "device" in Question...

        This way Rick can see what devices are "interesting" and those of us who
        are tech heads can look up the actual device specs...

        Interestingly enough, I would probably pass my PDA on to my wife if I
        could (afford to) combine my PDA with my Cell Phone...

        But, I am not going to even consider such an option unless I *know*
        Pocker e-sword will run on it.

        Mike Sr.

      • Fabian Lazarte
        Message 3 of 9 , Nov 2, 2007

          On the web site it clearly says “touch screen”. I have a Mogul PC6800 (from Sprint) with Windows Mobile 6 and e-sword works great.

          Fabian

          href="mailto:myadmin%40charter.net">myadmin@charter. net>
          > Date: Fri, November 02, 2007 12:15 am
          > To: pocket_esword@ yahoogroups. com
          >
          > Does anyone know whether or not a smartphone version is being
          > developed??? ?

        • Louis crouise
          Message 4 of 9 , Nov 2, 2007
            I have a HTC Mogul with WM6 (Sprint) and a HTC TyTN II (not subjected to any company but compatible with AT&T and T Mobile) with WM6 and Pocket e-Sword runs great on both phones.

            Waiting for the HP 610 phone.

            http://mail.yahoo.com

          • prosperity_minister
            Message 5 of 9 , Nov 8, 2007
              I am using the Motorola Qm. Silly me, I'm a techie, and assumed Pocket
              e-Sword would run on ANY Window Mobile compatible system. Boy, was I
              disappointed to learn differently AFTER I purchased the smartphone.

              I was essentially inquiring so I can decide to wait (if plans are in
              the works) on a smartphone offering, or look for something else. I am
              in full-time ministry, and having the Word accessible at all times is
              a must...

              Thanks for all the feedback!

              --- In pocket_esword@yahoogroups.com, myrrh-info@... wrote:

              > AFAIK... No...
              >
              > AFAIK, at this time Pocket e-Sword in developed for Windows Mobile
              > running ARM compatible processors.
              >
              > It is theoretically possible that a Smartphone based on Windows Mobile
              > running an ARM compatible processor can run e-Sword if it also has a
              > Touch Screen and the manufacturer hasn't "crippled" too much of the
              > Windows Mobile installation.
              >
              > I think "ActiveSync" is also required...
              >

              > It might be helpful if, when asking such questions, that the requesters
              > include make, model, and any other specifics about the particular
              > "device" in Question...
              >
              > This way Rick can see what devices are "interesting" and those of us who
              > are tech heads can look up the actual device specs...
              >
              > Interestingly enough, I would probably pass my PDA on to my wife if I
              > could (afford to) combine my PDA with my Cell Phone...
              >
              > But, I am not going to even consider such an option unless I *know*
              > Pocker e-sword will run on it.
              >
              > Mike Sr.

            • prosperity_minister
              Message 6 of 9 , Nov 8, 2007
                Oops, that should read that I'm NOT a techie...

                --- In pocket_esword@yahoogroups.com, "prosperity_minister"

                Message 7 of 9 , Nov 8, 2007
                  I was looking at Smart Phones earlier today and I haven't seen any that
                  can compete with my Dell Axim X51 for using Pocket e-Sword on...

                  I have a *very* old Nokia for a Cell Phone and it is paid for and I am
                  running prepaid as I do not use my phone that much. (Why buy a new phone
                  if I don;t have to?)

                  My Dell Axim, on the other hand is in use every day for devotions if
                  nothing else.

                  Recently, I missed it though, Wal-Mart had a Laptop for $350. Our local
                  store got 100 units and sold out the same day.

                  What I am saying is that as we age... A laptop might be the better
                  choice as regards to readability and useability...

                  While I have taken notes directly on my Axim in both text and stylus
                  modes (it has an app that will recognise and convert handwritten notes
                  to text as you write)...

                  I have reverted back to using a clipboard. I am just quicker and
                  mistakes are easier to "fix" in real time.

                  If I can get a functional laptop for the same price as a PDA I will
                  probably do so and hand my PDA down to my wife...

                  (Hey, if my pastor is intimidated by a laptop... Too bad! ��� )

                  The first time I used my PDA in church my pastor made note of it, out
                  loud, from the pulpit!

                  "Mike isn't sleeping, he's taking notes on his new toy..."

                  But, that's what be Berean is all about. Recieving gladly, then checking
                  it out. No notes... No checking it out...

                  Mike Sr.

                • Abraham Polanco
                  Message 8 of 9 , Nov 8, 2007
                    I am using the Samsung I730 phone from Verizon. It runs Windows Mobile
                    2003 SE. I searched high and low for a PDA phone that had all the
                    bells and whistles that I needed. heres a link to a review. maybe you
                    can get one on ebay cause its discontinued.
                    http://www.phonescoop.com/phones/user_reviews.php?phone=667
                    the newer one Samsung i830 does not have wifi or else I would have got
                    that one. I dont use wifi as much as i thought but its good to have.
                    Its also an mp3 player that has a SD card slot. I currently have a 2
                    Gbyte card but I plan on getting an 8 gig soon. I have tons of music
                    and when the phone rings it interrupts the song so I dont miss a call.
                    aside from it being somewhat large I dont anticipate getting rid of
                    it.

                    **also since you said about getting a laptop. I used it as my laptop
                    for a semester at seminary. because it has bluetooth I was able to get
                    a foldable bluetooth keyboard and type my notes on the electronic
                    sylabus through the included pocket word program.

                    this sounds like a commercial to buy the phone but its not. I recommend it.

                    Dont let the battery go dead for more than 2 days or else you will
                    lose all your phone numbers...i know.

                    hope this helps

                    fatherabraham

                  • jonathon
                    Message 9 of 9 , Nov 8, 2007
                      On Nov 9, 2007 1:02 AM, prosperity_minister wrote:

                      > Pocket e-Sword would run on ANY Window Mobile compatible system.

                      Windows Mobile refers to at least three different mutually
                      incompatible operating systems.

                      > or look for something else.

                      Current specifications are:

                      * Desktop PC running Windows 95, 98, Me, NT4, 2000, or XP
                      * Strong Arm/XScale based PDA or phone running Pocket PC 2002,
                      2003/2003SE, Windows Mobile 5, or Windows Mobile 6
                      * PDA must have a "touch screen"

                      Currently available Pocket e-Sword versions are:
                      Pocket e-Sword for Windows Mobile 5/6 (v3.0.1) 4,453kb Updated 05-17-07
                      Pocket e-Sword for Pocket PC 2003 (v3.0.1) 4,448kb Updated 05-17-07
                      Pocket e-Sword for Pocket PC 2002 (v3.0.1) 6,982kb Updated 05-17-07

                      Given the update date, and that the prior update was roughly the same
                      time last year, I doubt that there will be a "new" version soon.

                      Mike wrote:

                      >the manufacturer hasn't "crippled" too much of the Windows Mobile installation.

                      In the US, it is the cell phone carriers that cripple the cell phones
                      to the point that they are non-functional.

                      xan

                      jonathon