So what's going on with the PNW RPM?

  • John
    Message 1 of 11 , Jan 20, 2010
      Greetings all,

      Was just wondering what's going on with the PM stuffs? Haven't seen nor heard from anyone...it's winter, it's time to hunker down and build something!!! Hope all is well with everyone here and that you're all feverishly building something cosmic to share! I've been weathering some cars lately as I haven't been too active in the hobby so far this new year, just due to my work and things to do around the house. Anyone attending the SPS&S Historical Society's swap meet in Portland this weekend? Planning on going, will have two tables there, like to meet any of you that are able to make it! Take care and keep building!

      John Nymon Kent, Washington
    • Keith Thompson
      Message 2 of 11 , Jan 20, 2010

        >Greetings all,
        >
        >>Was just wondering what's going on with the PM stuffs? Haven't seen nor heard from anyone...it' s winter, it's time to hunker down and build something!!! Hope all is well with everyone here and that you're all feverishly building something cosmic to share! I've been weathering some cars lately as I haven't been too active in the hobby so far this new year, just due to my work and things to do around the house. Anyone attending the SPS&S Historical Society's swap meet in Portland this weekend? Planning on going, will have two tables there, like to meet any of you that are able to make it! Take care and keep building!
        >
        >>John Nymon Kent, Washington

        Hey John,

        We're working on a date for the show this fall but we're still waiting for venue confirmation before we officially say when and where.

        We hope to have the word out before the Monroe show in a couple of weeks. Don't worry, this list will be the first to know. :) -- Keith Thompson
      • Dean ONeill
        Message 3 of 11 , Jan 20, 2010

          I sure loved that Bellevue Community Center venue for the RPM event a couple years back. Easy parking, easy to find, nice place.

          Dean ONeill

          Message 4 of 11 , Jan 20, 2010
            Because of our organizational status (or lack thereof) the community center is just too pricey, I think you'll like the venue we're working on, especially the parking. -- Keith Thompson

            Message 5 of 11 , Jan 21, 2010
              Thanks Keith for getting back to me I was getting a little concerned I have to admit! I will be posting some photos soon that show what I'm doing. Hopefully others will feel compelled to do the same!

              John Nymon Kent, Washington

              --- In pnw_rpm@yahoogroups.com, Keith Thompson <locotrol@...> wrote:

              > >Greetings all,
              > >
              > >>Was just wondering what's going on with the PM stuffs? Haven't seen nor heard from anyone...it' s winter, it's time to hunker down and build something!!! Hope all is well with everyone here and that you're all feverishly building something cosmic to share! I've been weathering some cars lately as I haven't been too active in the hobby so far this new year, just due to my work and things to do around the house. Anyone attending the SPS&S Historical Society's swap meet in Portland this weekend? Planning on going, will have two tables there, like to meet any of you that are able to make it! Take care and keep building!
              > >
              > >>John Nymon Kent, Washington
              > >

              > Hey John,
              >
              > We're working on a date for the show this fall but we're still waiting for venue confirmation before we officially say when and where.
              >
              > We hope to have the word out before the Monroe show in a couple of weeks. Don't worry, this list will be the first to know. :) -- Keith Thompson

            • Rene
              Message 6 of 11 , Jan 21, 2010
                > I sure loved that Bellevue Community Center venue for the RPM event a couple
                > years back. Easy parking, easy to find, nice place.

                Not to mention the proximity to the border. Salem was just too far from Vancouver for me.

                To answer the original question, I'm hard at work on my passenger car (see http://www.proto87.org/d/?q=node/42). Last night I drafted up most of the interior, except the Baker heater. I expect to have it completed by the fall meet whether it is in Burnaby or somewhere further afield.

                Cheers,
                Rene'
              • Dwayne Rogge
                Message 7 of 11 , Jan 21, 2010

                  I'm not a regular poster here, but what size of a venue are you looking for? How many participants, how many visitors, and what type of a location are you looking for?

                  I'm asking, because the Bellingham Railway Museum may be able to help.

                  Dwayne Rogge

                • Joe Brugger
                  Message 8 of 11 , Jan 21, 2010
                    You can take Amtrak all the way south now, Rene. Bring your own snacks. :-)

                    Joe in Portland

                    >> I sure loved that Bellevue Community Center venue for the RPM event a
                    cou>ple
                    >> years back. Easy parking, easy to find, nice place.
                    >
                    >Not to mention the proximity to the border. Salem was just too far from
                    Va>ncouver for me.
                    >
                    >To answer the original question, I'm hard at work on my passenger car (see
                    >http://www.proto87.org/d/?q=node/42). Last night I drafted up most of
                    th>e interior, except the Baker heater. I expect to have it completed by
                    the >fall meet whether it is in Burnaby or somewhere further afield.

                    >Cheers,
                    >Rene'

                    -------------------
                    http://www.pcez.com
                  • Rene
                    Message 9 of 11 , Jan 22, 2010
                      Thanks for the tip, Joe. Sadly, it's a two leg trip, with one leg on AmBus, and it takes almost all day to get from Vancouver to Salem. So, going down for a one-day event means a three day commitment.

                      Frankly, this is why I think the smaller regional conventions like RPM meets are doing so well: all our lives have become busier, and so, a week-long convention is just too much.

                      Well, that plus the modeling's better too.

                      Cheers,
                      Rene'

                      --- In pnw_rpm@yahoogroups.com, "Joe Brugger" <jbrugger@...> wrote:

                      > You can take Amtrak all the way south now, Rene. Bring your own snacks. :-)
                      >
                      > Joe in Portland
                    • mesagrandeshops
                      Message 10 of 11 , Jan 26, 2010
                        Additional Input : I first thought the question was referring to any specific activities from the PNW_RPM groupm itself .

                        You may have seen this by now, but page 109 ( I think... ), of the current Railroad Model Craftsman , does provide a bit of coverage on the Group's activities , at Trains 2009 in Burnaby BC , complete with 2 photos of SRY SD 38's assembled by modeler / professional custom-painter Bryan Nelson ( of Chilliwack, BC ) .

                        Also, I have not seen enough coverage ( within the Group itself, here ), concerning not only the quality , but aso the quantity , of the large number of ( RPM ) clinics that were presented throughout TRAINS 2009, with, at times, 2 sessions happening simulataneously . We can only thank all who attended / participated / organized the PNW_RPM component of Trains 2009, from both sides of the Border .

                        I believe an upcoming PNW_RPM early summer meet , would be well received and attended , this year, and Yes, there is still enough time to plan for a greater particpation from the entire Group .

                        Jean Brisson Victoria, BC
                      • Rick Selby
                        Message 11 of 11 , Jan 26, 2010

                          Hi Jean:

                          We’re close to having specific information to announce for the 2010 event, hopefully in time for the Monroe swap meet in a few weeks. We’re targeting a little later in the year than early summer – if you have modeling projects underway that you’d like to share at a local RPM event, I might suggest you plan to have them ready for the fall…

                          As always, I’d love to hear more from others on the list about their projects and other RPM events out there. Feel free to share!

                          -Rick Selby