New Photos Posted of Chilliwack models

  • Andrew Hutchinson
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 1, 2008
      Hey.

      I uploaded a couple of photos of stuff I have produced since the May
      08 Bellevue meet that arrived in Chilliwack in one form or another. To
      those who attended please feel free to add photos of your own models
      to the Chilliwack 2008 RPM album and please write up a bit on them. I
      just threw in some photos I had floating around on the other groups.

      The 1:160th Grotto depot I built is mostly styrene and is ready for
      paint. It has made the rounds once before as three walls stuck
      together by blue tack but that started to get old. I spent most of
      Canada Day morning making shingles out of brown paper bag and
      attempting to build a trainorder signal for the structure. I want the
      signal to work and while moving blades are not an issue getting both
      blades lit by a single fiber optic cable is proving to be. The depot
      itself has only walls and an operator desk on the interior but is
      similarly lit with fiber optic strand. The exterior light uses smaller
      .015" fiber optic cable. I stamped the lamp hood out with a piece of
      sharpened brass tubing and then flared it with a punch made of a
      framing spike rounded over with a file. Where I ran into problems was
      in attaching the shade to the cable. I used CA and it crazed whatever
      plastic the cable is made of. I will use a latex contact adhesive in
      the future. As it stands the lamp puts out a little light but not
      enough. The reason I am building my structures to be lit is to
      accommodate night ops on my layout should it ever get to that point,
      as that is when the cool trains like the Piggy Back Special (Passenger
      power) and the Empire Builder came through town.
      Windows are strip and I have completed a couple of the acetate and
      Badger Air Opaque sashes. I found a little going over the acetate with
      wood colour helped get better opacity and added to the weathering. The
      chimney is kind of small and weird and I didn't feel like looking for
      or buying one so I just made it out of a bunch of .015" squares
      interspaced by smaller .005" squares. On the test shot I painted it
      first and then filled the cracks with Hydrocal. They are fairly quick
      and easy and I only squared them once or twice, preferring instead to
      fix things at final sanding. The top got drilled afterwards and hole
      squared up. Overall it has been a neat project. All of the Stevens
      Pass depots I have built are character laden affairs that have been
      fun to build. Each depot having been moved several times, expanded and
      or altered and ravaged by heavy wet snow loads meant that siding was
      sometimes not aligned or that filler bits of millwork would get wet,
      warp, and fall off. At first I was a little worried that all of the
      .005" strip would be too fragile in this dilapidated state or that I
      would go too far in the weathering. So far things are on the right
      track, But I am interested to see what will become of the project once
      paint is applied.

      The little speeder was started after a recent trip to Wickersham. My
      "main" side project is Huntingdon/Sumas and in preparing a scene for
      an article I suddenly needed some NP artifacts. The speeder seemed to
      fit the bill. I originally wanted a more enclosed (think easier to
      build) variant but this was the only kind I could find to measure off
      of. It took a day or so to figure out the enclosure but I settled on a
      using .010" strips for the framework and relief areas and .005" for
      the plywood skin. Laminating the two worked well to provide a stable
      window opening that could then be razored out. A piece of acetate is
      being masked and painted with Tamiya paints and has the divider. I
      found that one had to be very careful to have the tape down firmly as
      the tamiya bleeds like crazy on acetate and has lead to five or six
      attempts. Even now I am glad I only need one. I still don't know for
      sure which way I want to attach the glazing/frame piece to the carbody
      as the flange is impossibly small.
      The original idea was to use some parts of the fine GHQ speeder kit
      and modify the wheels to scale. In the end the wheels wouldn't stand
      up to narrowing or having new flanges added. In a panic I figured out
      a slapdash way of making my own after the photo was taken that was
      along the lines of the method for making the window opening.
      The rest of the body is a mixture of .005 board by board construction
      and some folded up brass and stainless shapes. The chassis originally
      was all brass but I chickened out and changed all of the flat pieces
      to mylar drafting film that was sanded. I made the angle iron out of
      the same material. All told the model is astoundingly durable. I have
      dropped it several times to no ill effect. Pure luck at its best, I
      guess the it uses SmartCar physics to bounce out of harms way. The
      coolest thing I learned making the model was that one could turn
      inverted bowl shapes on a dremel. I needed one for the headlight, so I
      could fill the lens area with clear resin, and stumbled upon a method
      that is identical to turning clay pots. All you need is a dremel at
      5XXX RPM to turn with and a knife to pull the rod away from the chuck.
      Very easy and very simple. Parting is a case of holding the rod and
      blade in between your thumb and forefinger. Figuring this out made up
      for all the speeder motors I had lost on my carpet earlier. Parts of
      the model have since been disassembled to be remade as my techniques
      start to be refined but should be back together soon.

      Now your turn

      Andrew Hutchinson
    • Paul Mack
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 2, 2008
        Since most of my modeling the last two years has been in 1/6th scale, your work is quite amazing, especially that speeder.  Have you ever heard of Mykola Syadristy?  One his more amazing works:
        http://microart.kiev.ua/en/kvitka_volos.html
        He also made an electric motor you could probably use to power the windshield wipers on your speeder:
        http://microart.kiev.ua/en/motor.html
        And a working clock for the station wall although he stuck his in the head of dragonfly:
        http://microart.kiev.ua/en/chas.html

        I have a few models on my website.  There are short descriptions of each on their respective pages.  Of the finished models, the most involved was probably the GP39E from a GP30 but that was a little cutting and pasting, some paint and decals.  There was no ".005 board on board construction" to say the least.
        http://members.trainorders.com/pmack/train.htm
        You could also get the July 2008 Railroad Model Craftsman and see my model of MRL 391.
        Paul Mack
        Hillsboro, OR

        Andrew Hutchinson wrote:

        ...The 1:160th Grotto depot I built is mostly styrene...
        ...Now your turn...

        Windows Live Hotmail is giving away Zunes. Enter for your chance to win. Enter Now!
      • Andrew Hutchinson
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 2, 2008
          Paul, Thank you for the kind words and those linked images, they are
          absolutely nuts! I worked a bit in the larger scales up until very
          recently, and it is a whole different ballgame every time you move up
          or down. Every scale seems to have its own requirements. I noticed
          this especially in scales like 1/2 and 1/6th that it can feel like you
          are playing in the twilight zone. In that range it is as if you are
          confronted by an object that is undersized rather than miniaturised.
          HO and N seem very tame in comparison.

          As for your work, I hate to admit it but you have finished all of the
          HO models I have started! The article brought back memories of seeing
          MRL F45s leading past my house with unit trains to Roberts Bank. I
          have some $5 bluebox dummies sitting on the shelf that I purchased
          after seeing the real thing. I did a lot of work on them to show
          myself I could get the job done but at the end of the day I think I
          filed off more detail than I needed to... and they still ain't done. I
          was thinking if I could get some Athearn grill etchings I might do
          something with them someday.

          Per the speeder I should mention that using .005 styrene on something
          this small is actually really easy. With a small brush I just wick off
          most of the solvent on a piece of cereal box and then apply to both
          sides and wait 5 seconds. It is really strong but occasionally too
          flexible. It would be crazy to do this kind of thing on something a
          lot larger, but at that size everything is supported every 3/16" or
          so, so there are no obvious problems with warpage. I did have my wits
          tested when I had to grind off the fuel tank from underneath the rear
          seat. it was trying but eventually I ground enough of it off with a
          ball cutter to get a knife blade under it and pop it out. Finding a
          good way to hold it and the dremel body was trying to say the least...

          Andrew

          --- In pnw_rpm@yahoogroups.com, Paul Mack <nahshon@...> wrote:

          > Since most of my modeling the last two years has been in 1/6th
          scale, your work is quite amazing, especially that speeder. Have you
          ever heard of Mykola Syadristy? One his more amazing
          works:http://microart.kiev.ua/en/kvitka_volos.html
          > He also made an electric motor you could probably use to power the
          windshield wipers on your speeder:
          > http://microart.kiev.ua/en/motor.html
          > And a working clock for the station wall although he stuck his in
          the head of dragonfly:
          > http://microart.kiev.ua/en/chas.html
          >
          > I have a few models on my website. There are short descriptions of
          each on their respective pages. Of the finished models, the most
          involved was probably the GP39E from a GP30 but that was a little
          cutting and pasting, some paint and decals. There was no ".005 board
          on board construction" to say the least.
          > http://members.trainorders.com/pmack/train.htm
          > You could also get the July 2008 Railroad Model Craftsman and see my
          model of MRL 391.
          > Paul Mack
          > Hillsboro, OR
          >

          > Andrew Hutchinson wrote:
          >
          > ...The 1:160th Grotto depot I built is mostly styrene...
          > ...Now your turn...

          > Windows Live Hotmail is giving away Zunes. Enter for your chance to win.

          http://www.windowslive-hotmail.com/ZuneADay/?locale=en-US&ocid=TXT_TAGLM_Mobile_Zune_V3

        • Jean Brisson
          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 3, 2008
            Andrew Hutchinson.> wrote:> I uploaded a couple of photos of stuff I
            have produced since the May 08 Bellevue > Now your turn > Andrew
            Hutchinson

            Feedback : I may have to look at taking a few photos of a specific
            project I had been working on, which greatly benefited from some of the
            advanced modelbuilding techniques you so patiently taught me, one by
            one. I have to say that I could not achieved that "edge" without your
            specific input .

            Overall, just to say I really enjoy the more open communciation taking
            place right now, within the Group, as there is so much we can learn
            from each other , and, as you all know, Talent ...is not something that
            is in short supply , here ! ...'-)

            Jean Brisson Victoria, BC