Happy Holidays to all!

  • nbynwrrs
    Message 1 of 9 , Dec 25, 2007
      I hope everyone has a great holiday season. Any one working on any
      projects out there? I have two Athearn RTR BN SD40-2s that I am
      backdating to 1979-built units by swapping out the Q fans and exhaust
      silencer for Cannon fans and 40-series exhaust stack. I hope to have
      one of them done soon and will post photos then.

      Regards,

      Brian Rutherford
    • John Nymon
      Message 2 of 9 , Dec 28, 2007
        Thanks Brian for the project info. This year I've built my layout room,
        currently it's an empty shell, but with time and a bit of more money, I
        can get it finished in the interior by summer. Next of course is the
        layout construction. I'll send some photos when I can, the weather here
        locally has been dark and rainy! I'll take a turn at wishing everyone a
        great New Year since I missed out on the Christmas wishes! Take care
        all and we'll be seeing you around,

        John Nymon in Kent, Washington

        --- In pnw_rpm@yahoogroups.com, "nbynwrrs" <nbynwrrs@...> wrote:

        > I hope everyone has a great holiday season. Any one working on any
        > projects out there? I have two Athearn RTR BN SD40-2s that I am
        > backdating to 1979-built units by swapping out the Q fans and exhaust
        > silencer for Cannon fans and 40-series exhaust stack. I hope to have
        > one of them done soon and will post photos then.
        >
        > Regards,
        >
        > Brian Rutherford

      • John Nymon
        Message 3 of 9 , Dec 28, 2007
          Brian-

          I would assume you're changing the unit numbers as well? If not I
          I never knew the BN ever retrofitted any of the SD's to meet 1980
          emission standards. I thought that they bought them this way at the
          time of the new emissions mandates like the 7900 & 8100 series....Do
          share some pictures when you get the chance!!! Thanks...

          John Nymon Kent, Washington

          --- In pnw_rpm@yahoogroups.com, "nbynwrrs" <nbynwrrs@...> wrote:

          > I hope everyone has a great holiday season. Any one working on any
          > projects out there? I have two Athearn RTR BN SD40-2s that I am
          > backdating to 1979-built units by swapping out the Q fans and exhaust
          > silencer for Cannon fans and 40-series exhaust stack. I hope to have
          > one of them done soon and will post photos then.
          >
          > Regards,
          >
          > Brian Rutherford

        • nbynwrrs
          Message 4 of 9 , Dec 29, 2007
            --- In pnw_rpm@yahoogroups.com, "John Nymon" <jdnymon@...> wrote:

            > Brian-
            >
            > I would assume you're changing the unit numbers as well?

            Yep, I'm changing the numbers too. I have the decals on one side so
            far... I'm really good at getting things half done! I hope to work on
            it Sunday.

            Brian
          • leakinmywaders
            Message 5 of 9 , Dec 29, 2007
              Brian: Hi, I've had some decently productive holiday time. I finished
              up a Modelers Choice XM4 CBQ boxcar, and brake gear detailing and
              paint touch-up on an Athearn 85ft TOFC flat. I've also been worrying
              over how to upgrade the lights for a decoder install on an
              Intermountain F drive. It's my first attempted DCC install, so it's
              intimidating me. It's for a model of NP F9 7005A in the NP simplified
              (aka "Menk Ugly") scheme. I need to gain some proficiency in
              decodering so I can get back to several NP diesel projects I have
              backlogged.

              My other in-progress project is a load of the new Athearn John Deere
              harvesters on an OTTX flat. BTW as far as I've been able to discern
              those harvesters are at least ballpark-accurate for John Deere models
              back to 1968-69 or so.

              Cheers,

              Chris Frissell
              Polson, MT
              Modeling the Route of the Vista Dome North Coast Limited
              Rocky Mountain Division, 1969

              --- In pnw_rpm@yahoogroups.com, "nbynwrrs" <nbynwrrs@...> wrote:

              > I hope everyone has a great holiday season. Any one working on any
              > projects out there?
            • Keith & Laura Fink
              Message 6 of 9 , Dec 30, 2007
                On Dec 29, 2007, at 9:33 PM, leakinmywaders wrote:

                > . BTW as far as I've been able to discern
                > those harvesters are at least ballpark-accurate for John Deere models
                > back to 1968-69 or so.
                >
                > Cheers,
                >
                > Chris Frissell
                > Polson, MT
                > -----------------------------------

                Yes Chris, ballpark accurate at least. I've just done a search and
                the John Deere 7700 combines are actually older than I thought. The
                first year that I could find any of this model in use was 1971. They
                remained in production until 1978 or so.

                Keith-
              • nbynwrrs
                Message 7 of 9 , Dec 30, 2007
                  Since I am modeling 77-80, this is good to know. Thanks!

                  Brian

                  > I've just done a search and
                  > the John Deere 7700 combines are actually older than I thought. The
                  > first year that I could find any of this model in use was 1971. They
                  > remained in production until 1978 or so.
                  >
                  > Keith-
                • Robert Stafford
                  Message 8 of 9 , Dec 31, 2007
                    I just got a small box of parts that I special ordered from Broadway Hobbies in Everett to begin to detail two Proto 2000 E-8 units for the Erie Lackawanna. Also have two L&HR C-420 units that I also plan to up grade the details on. Should keep me busy for a while.
                    Bob Stafford
                    Bellingham, WA

                    nbynwrrs <nbynwrrs@...> wrote:
                    I hope everyone has a great holiday season. Any one working on any
                    projects out there? I have two Athearn RTR BN SD40-2s that I am
                    backdating to 1979-built units by swapping out the Q fans and exhaust
                    silencer for Cannon fans and 40-series exhaust stack. I hope to have
                    one of them done soon and will post photos then.

                    Regards,

                    Brian Rutherford

                  • Dean ONeill
                    Message 9 of 9 , Jan 1, 2008

                      I have spent the Christmas break doing two modeling related activities. One, I inventoried my collection of HO train cars, as I again this fall accidently bought a car I already had and decided that my memory was just not sufficient track what I had. It was an eye opening experience (good and bad!), seeing in black–and–white what I had collected over the last 10 years.

                      Second, I have started work on the Helena MT Northern Pacific Freight depot. It will be a kit bash of 2 or 3 CC Crow NP freight depots. I hope to have it done for the NPRHA convention this summer in Tacoma.

                      Dean ONeill

                      Redmond WA