Sylvan CP slabside hopper

  • Doug Polinder
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 9, 2007
      Would appreciate any advice from anyone who has put together one of the HO Sylvan CP six-hatch slabside hoppers.  The exploded diagram leaves a little to be desired, although I think I am starting to figure it out (after completely screwing up one step, trying to undo the CA joint with acetone and completely destroying the part and rebuilding it with styrene).  What is most disconcerting is a lack of information about the brake piping (and the fact that Clare doesn't supply a brake wheel or stand), since in general I reproduce all the visible piping on my rolling stock.  I do have Ken Gossett's 1986 RMC article, "The Smooth Side Canadian," although the drawing and braking system information in that article are of the CN version with only photographs of the significantly different CP cars, hence I have only very dark or incomplete pictures of the CP brake system from that article and John Riddell's _CP Color Guide to Freight and Passenger Equipment_.

      In particular:

      (1) Does the brake line run alongside and/or attached to the bottom of the center sill on the CP car?  I will be using either 0.015 or 0.019 wire to simulate the brake line.
      (2) What is the brake cylinder attached to on the platform?  There is no block or anything for the cylinder to rest on on the end platform.  Also, it seems that the cylinder and its clevis are going to be too long to fit behind the brake lever, and so the level will have cut loose from the crossbeam resting on the brakestand support and moved forward so the cylinder and its clevis will fit behind it.
      (3) It is shaping up to be a very nice looking car, and I am wondering if any of you would car to speculate what cargo it might have been carrying on the GN in July 1960, where it shows up in 1960 in Edmonds WA in David Hitchcox's latest book _The GN Lines West Volume 1 in Color."
      (4) Where would I get an apprpriate retaining valve?  That piping is highly visible and is a sine qua non for this car.
      (4) Any other advice from those of you who have completed this car would be most welcome.

      Doug Polinder
      Grand Rapids MI

      Doug Polinder
      Grand Rapids MI