For those interested - Current Status of the U25C Project as of 07/05/2006

  • Robert Giffin
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 5, 2006
      Message
      Current Status of the U25C Project (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/u25cproject/) as of 07/05/2006:
      There are currently 254 active members.  We've had to moderate membership requests and first posts to protect ourselves from the SPAMimals.  Please don't let that discourage you from joining us.  We can use the support in numbers to strengthen our case with industry.
      a)  We are still pursuing the NWSL repowering option as well as any other options for producing an inexpensive repowering solution.  Current status on the NWSL option is that we are set, hopefully, to meet with them the week of 24 July in Seattle.  They are so far receptive to the meeting.  We have gear tower drawings from both Brian Banna and Brian Everett to show them.
      b)  Somewhat closer to reality, Kaslo Shops (http://www.kasloshops.com) is proposing a repowering kit for the Rivarossi U25C, aftermarket details, and a complete U25C model.  It is basically the Jeff Briggs kit, introduced over a year ago but never produced.  John Whitmore from Kaslo has purchased the project from Jeff Briggs and is planning, depending on the interest garnered from this group, to produce the following, in order:

      1)  A Rivarossi U25C repower kit, retailing for $125.00 USD (some photos in the Photos section), including :

          A water-cut steel frame; A state-of-the-art can motor; Dual flywheels; Drive train; Resin gear towers; Resin truck sideframes; NWSL wheelsets; Resin fuel tank; McHenry couplers; Window glazing; Sound ready; DCC ready

      2)  An aftermarket detail kit, retailing for $60.00 USD (some photos in the Photos section), including:

          a) The following .006" Stainless Steel etched parts: 6 windshield wipers; 2 cab side window frames; 1 winterization window; 1 winterization window base; 4 number boards; 12 GE lift rings; 1 rearview mirrors; 1 Sinclair antenna; 4 wind deflectors; 2 headlight plates; 2 sunshades with tracks; 5 cab door handles; 1 exhaust stack screen; 1 top radiator walkway; 1 top radiator walkway base; 2 side intake screens; 1 top radiator fan assembly; 2 dynamic brake grid assemblies

          b) The following .009" phosphor-bronze etched parts: 2 side sill filler pieces; 2 end handrail center stanchion assemblies; 27 standard handrail stanchions; 2 drop steps; 1 brake wheel; 4 footboards; 10 cut lever brackets; 1 rear radiator ladder

          c) The following cast resin parts: 1 radiator core assembly; 2 pilot filler assemblies; 1 cab interior

      3)  A walkway replacement in GE 'equidot' pattern (photo in the Photos section), retailing for approximately $20.00 USD, expressly for this group to upgrade the walkways on the Rivarossi U25C to 'near prototype'.

      *** The three items above could be available as soon as September 2006, depending on commitments from the group.

      4)  A complete, phase detail specific, sound and DCC capable (based on the repower frame) HO scale U25C, expected to retail for around $300.00 USD.

      *** This item would be available NLT second quarter 2007.  Would be funded with purchases of the repower kit and detail sets.
      Will keep you all posted as we center on our solutions.

      Robert Giffin - Group Moderator
    • Brian A Elchlepp
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 6, 2006
        Robert

        Now that's a great report. I was wondering what had happened to that
        U25C project. I'd spoken to Briggs about it last year and then it went
        away.

        Personally, I think there is real potential here for a nitch market.
        While I could problably not find a way to possibly care less about a
        U25C, the concept is a good one. Take an "old technology" shell and
        update the drive and details to make it a 21st Century model.

        Others that could be done that come to mind immidiatly are: The
        Lima/Rivarossi C420 and the ATT/AHM/IHC C415.

        Brian E