Re: [pnw_rpm] Fascia color...

  • johncolley@att.net
    Message 1 of 12 , Jun 1, 2006
      Thanks, Rick. I have been mentioning this for a year or so. Glad to have it brought up. Since I have operated with the Chilli's at Lynden last year I painted mine to match. I am making some progress on mi Riverbend since the B'ham meet, touching up the bad spots on the ballast, getting ready to start the river detailing, and yes,...I'm lowering the hills in deference to the height of the planned trees. My plan is to get glimpses of the train through the trees and along the river. Happy railroading, jc5729
      -------------- Original message from "Rick Selby" <rselby@...>: --------------

      Since we�re talking modules, here�s another topic that came up at the recent meet  -- that of fascia color.

      Several of us here in the PacNW painted our fascia a dark forest green color. It looks pretty good, and it certainly compliments our typical northwest scenery (well much of it, anyway). The downside is that it doesn�t match some of the other modules out there, namely the Chilliwack collection.

      Keith Thompson and I were commenting on how the flat black paint on the Chilliwack modules looked nice and seemed to compliment most any type of scenery one would choose to build. That got us thinking about a repaint from green to black.

      So, this question � do we want an �official� fascia color?  Does anyone have a strong opinion one way or the other?

      I�m inclined to go with the flat black in that I can easily foresee that most of our future setups will include the Chilliwack gang, and since they�re 10+ modules into this process already, it makes sense to follow their lead.

      And note, we�re absolutely not intending to be militaristic about this � as far as I�m concerned, should you show up with a different color fascia, you�ll still be welcomed with open arms to set up and operate with the rest of us.

      Thoughts welcomed�.

      -Rick Selby

    • Larry Sebelley
      Message 2 of 12 , Jun 1, 2006
        Rick, et al.

        The Chilliwack group went through quite a bit of
        strife among ourselves to decide what the best fascia
        colour would be. We chose black because:

        it is a neutral colour that does not detract from
        anything else.
        it is used in museum displays for the above reason.
        we could not find a green that matched all the other
        scenery materials.
        we did not like any of the colours selected by any
        other Free-mo groups.

        The specific paint we use is SICO Satin Piano Black. I
        don't know if it is available south of the border. I
        will help in any way possible.

        A wise poster elsewhere recommended painting the
        module end plates with black Tremclad rust paint. As
        strange as that sounds, the Tremclad will not stick
        adjacent modules to each other, when they are clamped
        together. Any latex paint seems to suffer from the
        sticking together, and the resultant damage when
        separating. Hence, we are painting all of our end
        plates with Tremclad black. We will be making black
        skirts at some point in the future as well.

        I quite agree that no module will be excluded from any
        set-up, simply because the fascia and skirting are not
        the "right" colours. Furthermore, in any mega-set-up,
        such as a NMRA Convention set-up, there will certainly
        be a variety of "right" colours present.

        --- Rick Selby <rselby@...> wrote:

        > Since we're talking modules, here's another topic
        > that came up at the
        > recent meet -- that of fascia color.
        >
        > snip>

        > And note, we're absolutely not intending to be
        > militaristic about this -
        > as far as I'm concerned, should you show up with a
        > different color
        > fascia, you'll still be welcomed with open arms to
        > set up and operate
        > with the rest of us.
        >

        > Thoughts welcomed....
        >

        > -Rick Selby

        Larry Sebelley
        Chilliwack Model Railway Club
        Chilliwack, BC Canada

        http://mail.yahoo.com
      • Keith Thompson
        Message 3 of 12 , Jun 1, 2006
          Hey Larry,

          Would it be possible for you to paint a small piece of wood or Masonite with the SICO paint and mail it to me so I can give the group an appropriate US brand match? If you're coming to the NMRA show in Puyallup this weekend we might be able to link up somewhere and exchange the sample. -- Keith Thompson

          --- Rick Selby <rselby@...> wrote:

          > Since we're
          talking modules, here's another topic
          > that came up at the
          > recent meet  -- that of fascia color.
          >
          > snip>

          > And note, we're absolutely not intending to be
          > militaristic about this -
          > as far as I'm concerned, should you show up with a
          > different color
          > fascia, you'll still be welcomed with open arms to
          > set up and operate
          > with the rest of us.
          >

          > Thoughts welcomed....
          >

          > -Rick Selby