FIRST Kickoff 2006

  • Ryan McElroy
    Message 1 of 10 , Sep 29, 2005
      PNW-FIRSTers,

      The Titan Robotic Club is considering hosting this year's kickoff in its
      new (as of last year) Performing Arts Center, which is to have a
      projector installed in December. The hope is to have a field available
      to view as well. The leaders of the club wanted me to find out what you
      guys think about the idea of having a small per-person charge to help
      offset the costs of putting on such an event - maybe $1 or $2. I know
      these have been free in the past, so please let us know how you feel
      about this possibility. We're seeking honest feedback so we can figure
      out where to go from here.

      Thanks,

      ~Ryan McElroy
      Mentor, Titan Robotics Club
      FIRST Team # 492
    • Rick Tyler
      Message 2 of 10 , Sep 29, 2005
        I assume that you are talking about the 2006 game announcement? At
        $1-2 a head, it's cheaper than driving to Seattle like we did last
        year.

        - Rick Tyler
        Team 1294
        Funded for 2006!

        On 9/29/05, Ryan McElroy <ryan@...> wrote:
        > PNW-FIRSTers,
        >
        > The Titan Robotic Club is considering hosting this year's kickoff in its
        > new (as of last year) Performing Arts Center, which is to have a
        > projector installed in December. The hope is to have a field available
        > to view as well. The leaders of the club wanted me to find out what you
        > guys think about the idea of having a small per-person charge to help
        > offset the costs of putting on such an event - maybe $1 or $2. I know
        > these have been free in the past, so please let us know how you feel
        > about this possibility. We're seeking honest feedback so we can figure
        > out where to go from here.
        >
        > Thanks,
        >
        > ~Ryan McElroy
        > Mentor, Titan Robotics Club
        > FIRST Team # 492
        >

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Cathy Saxton
        Message 3 of 10 , Sep 30, 2005
          Hi Ryan.

          Cool idea. It would be great to have the field/parts!

          How about a small fee per team, e.g. $10-15, instead of per person.
          Collecting money from students can be tedious, and we try to encourage them
          to attend, not give them incentive to blow it off :-).

          Cathy Saxton - Team 1318
          Issaquah Robotics
          saxtonc@...

        • Donna Lew
          Message 4 of 10 , Sep 30, 2005

            Team 488 XBOT votes for a small team fee. What will the fee cover? Rental of the space? Coffee/bagels? materials for the field? Cathy is so correct the problem of collecting $$ from each kid.

            Team XBOT is available to help with building the field prior to the event. Give me a heads up and I'll coordinate contacting kids, Team XBOT can help with the materials too.

            Donna Y. Lew 206 972-4119

            From: "Cathy Saxton" <yahoogroup@...>
            To: <pnw-first@yahoogroups.com>
            Subject: RE: [pnw-first] FIRST Kickoff 2006
            Date: Fri, 30 Sep 2005 07:33:01 -0700

            Hi Ryan.

            Cool idea. It would be great to have the field/parts!

            How about a small fee per team, e.g. $10-15, instead of per person.
            Collecting money from students can be tedious, and we try to encourage them
            to attend, not give them incentive to blow it off :-).

            Cathy Saxton - Team 1318
            Issaquah Robotics
            saxtonc@...

            Online mechanical engineering degreeMechanical engineering degree onlineMechanical engineering
            Mechanical engineering classMechanical engineering informationMechanical engineering degree

            YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

          • Eric Stokely
            Message 5 of 10 , Sep 30, 2005
              I agree with Cathy also. A per team charge is easier to deal with.

              And thanks for front ending this now :-)

              Hoping it doesn't snow this year

              Eric Stokely
              team 360

              From: "Cathy Saxton" <yahoogroup@...>
              To: <pnw-first@yahoogroups.com>
              Date: Fri, 30 Sep 2005 07:33:01 -0700

              Hi Ryan.

            • sevans34@comcast.net
              Message 6 of 10 , Sep 30, 2005
                Thanks to the Titan Robotic Club.
                A Club fee is preferred for 1294 Eastlake High Robotics.
                We can help with setting up the field if needed as well.

                PNW-FIRSTers,

                The Titan Robotic Club is considering hosting this year's kickoff in its
                new (as of last year) Performing Arts Center, which is to have a
                projector installed in December. The hope is to have a field available
                to view as well. The leaders of the club wanted me to find out what you
                guys think about the idea of having a small per-person charge to help
                offset the costs of putting on such an event - maybe $1 or $2. I know
                these have been free in the past, so please let us know how you feel
                about this possibility. We're seeking honest feedback so we can figure
                out where to go from here.

                Thanks,

                ~Ryan McElroy
                Mentor, Titan Robotics Club
                FIRST Team # 492
              • Goodman Pete E.
                Message 7 of 10 , Oct 3, 2005
                  Team 372 Kamiak Engineering Club is in agreement that a team fee would
                  be best but we need an email letting our ASB office know what the money
                  will be for. Thanks for doing this.
                  Thanks,
                  Pete Goodman

                  Message 8 of 10 , Oct 6, 2005
                    The Seattle Robotics Society is holding our annual Robothon event at the
                    Seattle Center House this weekend on Saturday and Sunday.

                    This is really late notice, but if your FIRST team is available, we would
                    like to have some FRC and/or FLL robots on hand. Team 1039 is trying to
                    arrange ourselves.

                    If you can make it, please email this list.

                    Kevin
                  • Donna Lew
                    Message 9 of 10 , Oct 7, 2005

                      team 488 will be there ...Doug Bell told us about robothon last Friday

                      Donna Y. Lew 206 972-4119

                      Message 10 of 10 , Oct 7, 2005

                        I am taking on responsibility for organizing the remote kickoff (well, at least being responsible on paper…)

                        There is one thing missing, however: Who can take delivery of, and store the kit of parts?  Typically they are delivered by FexEx on Friday afternoon.  I don’t recall if FedEx delivered to UW or if we needed to drive down to Boeing (King Co) field to pick them up.  But, in any case I need a delivery address.  The issue is having a place that FedEx can deliver and unload and we can store, overnight, the crates.  I would like to have this be IS where the kick-off is being held, but I don’t have that nailed down yet, so I am looking for someone else to take responsibility (delivery, storage and possibly dragging the kits to IS if we can’t store them there overnight).  I am 90% sure that the crates can be delivered to IS and there will be little or no work required, but just in case that falls through, I want a backup plan.

                        I need this name ASAP as the paperwork must be submitted next week.

                        Larry Barello

                        www.barello.net