Practice Event This Saturday

  • Tom Saxton
    Message 1 of 20 , May 23 8:09 AM
      Are we still on for the practice/demo event this Saturday at Pickering Barn
      in Issaquah? Who is coming?

      We can bring a goal and three tetras.

      --
      Tom Saxton - Team 1318
      saxtont@...
      Message 2 of 20 , May 23 2:09 PM
        Team 372 will be unable to come.
        Pete

        Are we still on for the practice/demo event this Saturday at Pickering
        Barn
        in Issaquah? Who is coming?

        We can bring a goal and three tetras.

        --
        Tom Saxton - Team 1318
        saxtont@...

        Yahoo! Groups Links
      • Donna Lew
        Message 3 of 20 , May 24 7:44 AM

          Team X_Bot had not plan to attend as we had not heard anything about the Sat. event. Who is on first (pun intended) organizing the event? I will have to send an email to contact the team and verify that they are available Sat.

          What time for set up? What time for demonstrations? Can teams fund raise? (we have X_sweets) which are Dilettante chocolates with the X_truffle.

          Will there be a place to show off the animation entries???

          Please advise.

          Donna Y. Lew
          206 972-4119

          >From: Tom Saxton <saxtont@...>
          >To: <pnw-first@yahoogroups.com>
          >Subject: [pnw-first] Practice Event This Saturday
          >Date: Mon, 23 May 2005 08:09:38 -0700
          >
          >Are we still on for the practice/demo event this Saturday at Pickering Barn
          >in Issaquah? Who is coming?
          >
          >We can bring a goal and three tetras.
          >
          >--
          >Tom Saxton - Team 1318
          >saxtont@...

        • Tom Saxton
          Message 4 of 20 , May 24 9:43 AM
            This event was discussed on the PNW First list in mid-March. Five teams said
            they could attend: 488, 492, 949, 1294, 1318.

            The Titans set up the venue and have the field parts they built for the
            practice event, but I haven't heard from them since before the Championship
            Event. Hopefully, they'll jump in and enlighten us soon.

            My understanding is that we have the space from 9:00 am to 2:00 pm.

            I don't know about fundraising. The Titans have the contact for the venue.
            It's a farmers market outside of a large barn that they like to fill with
            interesting attractions to bring in customers.

            Larry Barello's mail indicated the space is 8000 sq ft, of which we need
            2000 for the field setup. So my guess is that there should be plenty of room
            for the field, the audience and space where you could set up your animation
            display.

            --
            Tom Saxton - Team 1318
            saxtont@...

            on 5/24/05 7:44 AM, Donna Lew wrote:

            > Team X_Bot had not plan to attend as we had not heard anything about the Sat.
            > event. Who is on first (pun intended) organizing the event? I will have to
            > send an email to contact the team and verify that they are available Sat.
            >
            > What time for set up? What time for demonstrations? Can teams fund raise? (we
            > have X_sweets) which are Dilettante chocolates with the X_truffle.
            >
            > Will there be a place to show off the animation entries???
            >
            > Please advise.
            >

            > Donna Y. Lew
            > 206 972-4119
          • Larry Barello
            Message 5 of 20 , May 24 9:15 PM
              I received email from the barn contact (Dave Sao) and he said he would be
              there at 6:30 AM and wanted to know how many tables & chairs would be
              needed.

              The Titan's have not committed to any more than bringing what they have.
              This is a low-key event given that we don't have a full field any more and
              many of the field pieces that the Titan's provided for the pre-ship have
              been broken, left behind or simply lost.

              I recommend each team bring their robot, whatever field pieces they can
              muster and posters, etc. to market their team. Oh, yeah, bring some
              students to smooze.

              An FLL table would be great too, but I fear that time is too short to put
              together a decent poster to market 2005...

              Anyway, it seems unlikely we will be able to mount a full court game. So
              maybe it will be demonstrations and giving spectators a chance to drive the
              robots around?

              Cheers!

              This event was discussed on the PNW First list in mid-March. Five teams said
              they could attend: 488, 492, 949, 1294, 1318.

              The Titans set up the venue and have the field parts they built for the
              practice event, but I haven't heard from them since before the Championship
              Event. Hopefully, they'll jump in and enlighten us soon.

              My understanding is that we have the space from 9:00 am to 2:00 pm.

              I don't know about fundraising. The Titans have the contact for the venue.
              It's a farmers market outside of a large barn that they like to fill with
              interesting attractions to bring in customers.

              Larry Barello's mail indicated the space is 8000 sq ft, of which we need
              2000 for the field setup. So my guess is that there should be plenty of room
              for the field, the audience and space where you could set up your animation
              display.

              --
              Tom Saxton - Team 1318
              saxtont@...

              on 5/24/05 7:44 AM, Donna Lew wrote:

              > Team X_Bot had not plan to attend as we had not heard anything about the
              Sat.
              > event. Who is on first (pun intended) organizing the event? I will have to
              > send an email to contact the team and verify that they are available Sat.
              >
              > What time for set up? What time for demonstrations? Can teams fund raise?
              (we
              > have X_sweets) which are Dilettante chocolates with the X_truffle.
              >
              > Will there be a place to show off the animation entries???
              >
              > Please advise.
              >

              > Donna Y. Lew
              > 206 972-4119

              Yahoo! Groups Links
            • Tom Saxton
              Message 6 of 20 , May 24 9:52 PM
                Sorry to hear about the Titan's field parts. That seemed like a pretty nice
                setup. Maybe we can organize a work party over the summer to build at least
                the outside frame parts for next year.

                Anyway, demos should be fun. Maybe we can block off a corner with tables and
                run the robots in there so as to keep the crowd back from the danger zone.

                There were some FIRST robots at PDXBot and one went ballistic driving full
                speed into the theater-pole and rope barricade where the crowd was leaning
                into the field. I was amazed no one was hurt. The drivers claimed it was
                radio interference, which I believe based on seeing how well they were
                driving.

                A good barricade would make it more reasonable to let spectators drive the
                robots.

                We had some fun at school a couple of weeks ago doing driving contests,
                stacking tetras with a time limit. We could do something like that without a
                full field.

                We'll try to bring our 2004 robot as well, just to show how the robots
                change from year-to-year.

                --
                Tom Saxton - Team 1318
                saxtont@...
                Message 7 of 20 , May 24 11:47 PM
                  Clarification:

                  We still have the wooden side pieces; we figured those would be used
                  year after year, so we are hanging on to them (although our space is
                  VERY limited, so an alternate place to store long-term would be
                  appreciated).

                  However, in our infinite wisdom (and having forgotten about this event)
                  we managed to lose some of this year's field pieces (goals, tetras) in
                  various places across the country (Portland, Atlanta...) So, since we
                  provided more than half of the field pieces at the pre-ship, and
                  presumably nobody has built field pieces since then, we will be well
                  short of a full field this Saturday even if we got everyone else to
                  bring everything they had before.

                  So the long and short of it is that there is no way this can be treated
                  like the pre-ship scrimmage. Rather, it will be a much more informal
                  "robot showcase" that will allow your team to drive around, lift a few
                  tetras (bring your own if possible), and brag about your team to the
                  general public. So I don't know if we will even be bringing out the
                  wooden field sides for this event, unless a others have the willpower
                  and peoplepower to do it themselves.

                  And I don't even know if we've committed to being there yet. TRC leaders?

                  ~Ryan

                  Tom Saxton wrote:

                  >Sorry to hear about the Titan's field parts. That seemed like a pretty nice
                  >setup. Maybe we can organize a work party over the summer to build at least
                  >the outside frame parts for next year.
                  >
                  >Anyway, demos should be fun. Maybe we can block off a corner with tables and
                  >run the robots in there so as to keep the crowd back from the danger zone.
                  >
                  >There were some FIRST robots at PDXBot and one went ballistic driving full
                  >speed into the theater-pole and rope barricade where the crowd was leaning
                  >into the field. I was amazed no one was hurt. The drivers claimed it was
                  >radio interference, which I believe based on seeing how well they were
                  >driving.
                  >
                  >A good barricade would make it more reasonable to let spectators drive the
                  >robots.
                  >
                  >We had some fun at school a couple of weeks ago doing driving contests,
                  >stacking tetras with a time limit. We could do something like that without a
                  >full field.
                  >
                  >We'll try to bring our 2004 robot as well, just to show how the robots
                  >change from year-to-year.

                • Donna Lew
                  Message 8 of 20 , May 25 12:41 PM

                    for the issaquah challenged visitors ...what is the address? Can you give me a landmark? I am familiar with the COSTCO location. Please advise ....thanks ...

                    Team XBOT is scrambling to get students and displays ready. At least X5 is still running. We had to use duct tape for a few pieces and we drop lots of nuts.

                    Will there be rugs to run on?

                    Please advise ...Thanks ...

                    Donna Y. Lew - 206 972-4119

                  • Tom Saxton
                    Message 9 of 20 , May 25 10:56 PM
                      > for the issaquah challenged visitors ...what is the address? Can you give me a
                      > landmark? I am familiar with the COSTCO location. Please advise ....thanks ...

                      I don't know the address, but it's very close to the Issaquah Costco. Head
                      to Costco, drive past Costco (with their gas pumps on your right), continue
                      down that road and bear left at the stop sign. Pickering Barn is on the
                      left.

                      --
                      Tom Saxton - Team 1318
                      saxtont@...
                      Message 10 of 20 , May 25 10:58 PM
                        Here's a link to a map with driving directions.

                        http://www.ci.issaquah.wa.us/Page.asp?NavID=106

                        Much better than my lame attempt at driving directions...

                        --
                        Tom Saxton - Team 1318
                        saxtont@...
                        Message 11 of 20 , May 25 11:13 PM
                          Message
                          Directions to the Issaquah Pickering Barn:

                          Advay Mengle
                          Student Leader
                          Newport Robotics Group - http://www.nrg948.org/