Rough draft for IFI Co-processor board

  • Larry Barello
    Message 1 of 2 , May 8, 2003

      The only part that is reasonably crisp are the first two sections: the
      discussion and the protocol.

      The concrete details: I am going to develop everything on an STK501
      kit (AVR mega128) which is available from Digikey assembled for about
      $160 (STK500 + STK501) using GCC (free C compiler) and Atmels
      debugging software. That is all you really need.

      Once the basic protocols are working and pass through works, etc. then
      I'll look into designing a board with nice gazzins and gazzouts and
      include pads for nice things like serial EEPROM for data logging and
      MEMS Gyro & Accelerometers so the robots can estimate their
      orientation.

      After that comes the hard part: Developing decent, flexible control
      software as prototype code for your particular robot. I say hard,
      since it is hard to make flexible stuff simple at the same time.

      Whooboy. A summer project.

      There is no reason why this has to be AVR based (other than IMHO it is
      the only way to go) - any processor that has two serial ports and a
      way to input speedy encoder ticks and analog data should do fine.
    • Eric Stokely
      Message 2 of 2 , May 9, 2003
        Very cool

        As for your comment about the AVR based. I have no problem that way. I
        trust your judgement since I have no personnal experience with it at
        this level.

        I *may* be able to help with the library stuff. Some folks have paid me
        in the past to make code in tiny chips as well as systems. That being
        said...well lets just say I like being a teacher more. But I may be
        able to help hack code if you want the assist.

        Suspect I'll see you a week or so

        Eric
        On Thursday, May 8, 2003, at 04:12 PM, Larry Barello wrote:

        > The only part that is reasonably crisp are the first two sections: the
        > discussion and the protocol.
        >
        > The concrete details: I am going to develop everything on an STK501
        > kit (AVR mega128) which is available from Digikey assembled for about
        > $160 (STK500 + STK501) using GCC (free C compiler) and Atmels
        > debugging software.  That is all you really need.
        >
        > Once the basic protocols are working and pass through works, etc. then
        > I'll look into designing a board with nice gazzins and gazzouts and
        > include pads for nice things like serial EEPROM for data logging and
        > MEMS Gyro & Accelerometers so the robots can estimate their
        > orientation.
        >
        > After that comes the hard part: Developing decent, flexible control
        > software as prototype code for your particular robot.  I say hard,
        > since it is hard to make flexible stuff simple at the same time.
        >
        > Whooboy.  A summer project.
        >
        > There is no reason why this has to be AVR based (other than IMHO it is
        > the only way to go) - any processor that has two serial ports and a
        > way to input speedy encoder ticks and analog data should do fine.

        <image.tiff>