RE: [pnw-first] Suggestion for Seattle Regional

  • Kevin Ross
    Message 1 of 13 , Apr 17, 2013
      Thanks for the feedback everyone. Contrary to popular belief, we do consider all of this feedback and know that these issues are important and we do attempt to work with the resources we have.

      1) We relied on the A/V contractor to setup the video cameras in Seattle. I am in complete agreement with you on Seattle's video, it was not very good quality. Central and Spokane had a second camera on the field and was using much higher quality equipment. The second camera was actually my personal camera and was being operated by students from FRC2910. We learned a lot about how to improve for next year. We understand the importance of having a good stream. We will invest in better equipment and more cameras for next years events. (The cameras being used are moderately high end and only cost about $8,000 each . We will need 9 of them next year. Please understand we will do our best, but if you have an extra $63,000 we would really appreciate your helping us purchase the equipment! :-))

      2) Central and Spokane had 'stadium' seating which has a very high rake. Seattle has theater seating, which is a shallow rake. The CenturyLink facility has a number of issues (the rake, the arrangement and capacity of the seating, and the number of people in attendance). Central had the pipe and drape 10 feet from the field and 10 feet from the bleachers. It worked well. Seattle had very similar dimensions, but because of the rake of the seating, it didn't work as well. Spokane had the field a little closer to the seating, and it worked well.  The end seating in Seattle was not very good for viewing. In short, CenturyLink is not a great audience venue for an FRC event like this. We have plans for next year that change things substantially.

      To: pnw-first@yahoogroups.com
      From: dstrunk@...
      Date: Tue, 16 Apr 2013 11:48:20 +0000
      Subject: RE: [pnw-first] Suggestion for Seattle Regional

      We couldn’t see very well from 15 or hirer bleacher seats up either because of the crowd around the fence.

      What I’d rather see is a clearer view on the screen. I watched both Seattle and Spokane live feeds. Spokane live stream was superior to Seattle’s live feed. On the Spokane one I could tell which teams were on field because I could read the numbers on the bumpers. Very clear and much closer than the Seattle live feed.  I had no idea on the Seattle live feed who was in the field unless it was my team and I knew they were competing. Could the live feed at Seattle be closer and a bit clearer?

      Dixie Strunk

      Team 4682

      Message 2 of 13 , Apr 17, 2013
        I think that Kevin hit upon the key issue. The seating in Seattle was terrible.  Even at the top of the bleachers in the center the view was poor.  Portland, Ellensburg, Cheney all had better views because of the seating.  In Portland we could sit at the top and get a great view of the field.  There wasn't a good place to watch the game in Seattle, except from the sideline, which didn't help.

        Dan Nowlin
        Team 3574

[...]

      • Jodi
        Message 3 of 13 , Apr 19, 2013

          Could we go back to the magnificent Key Arena?  Fantastic seating, lighting, screens, and sound.  Now that Seattle is smaller, is this possible?

          Jodi

          948