Laptop advice needed

  • Elizabeth Fox
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 2, 2013
      Our team needs to buy a new laptop and we are willing to spend up to $1800
      on a decent one. We need to be able to run all the Labview programs,
      Inventor, etc. and be able to comply with anything that FIRST throws at us.

      We are considering a macbook pro, because of durability and update issues,
      but not sure about software compatibility.

      Would love to have advice from other teams on this one.

      Thanks in advance for your replies,
      Liz
      Team 2192
      Newport OR
    • Wade Hasbrouck

        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 2, 2013
          Our FTC student who was the lead for our CAD team found that Inventor does NOT like to run in a VM (or VMware cannot handle it) on his MacBook Pro.  He runs it natively via Boot Camp and it works beautifully.

          Note: This student is now in his second year at WPI in robotics engineering and is still using his MacBook Pro constantly - and in the machine shop too!

          Heidi Lovett
          Executive Director
          Swerve Robotics
          FTC 417 & 6220, FLL Rocket Bots, Jr. FLL Pikabots
          206.679.4305
          Sent from my iPhone

[...]

        • Keith