Re: [pnw-first] Re: Suggestion for Seattle Regional

  • Jon Wiederspan
    Message 1 of 13 , Jan 26, 2013
      As I remember, the crowds at the Spokane (really Cheney) Regional were not allowed to stand as close to the field as they were at Seattle. I think there was a rope barrier around the field that kept people about five feet back. Whatever the distance was, it seemed to me to greatly improve the view from the stands.

      This might be improved somewhat this year anyway, though, if the netting that is supposed to catch frisbees is put a few feet away from the edge of the field and slightly obscures the view. That could encourage people to stay in the stands. I like the idea of having the people on the edge limited to team members from the currently competing teams. If there is going to be a crowd there anyway, it could at least be the people most involved in that match.

      Jon Wiederspan

        Message 3 of 13 , Jan 28, 2013
          People in the stands can see just fine.

          Remember this is the students event most of these students will not have a chance to ever be in front of a crowd this size let them enjoy it.

          suggestion have only students at the field enough of the mentors from teams crowding the field its the students event.

          For the rookie teams all your guests will be able to see from the stands in most cases thats the biggest concern of teams saving seats in the stands and then never using them.  Better suggestion is to stop the seat saving let the fans in the stands mingle.

          On Jan 26, 2013, at 8:32 PM, MeakerB wrote:

[...]

          <a>Wes Proudlove</a>

        • Ian hovander

            Message 5 of 13 , Jan 30, 2013
              Barry and Beth,

              I appreciate your input. We have tried this both ways over the years, so we actually have real live experience implementing your plan. What we have found is:

              1) Everyone HATES cheering from their knees. The people on their knees can’t see the field either and it completely kills the cheering and dancing. We have attempted this in Portland, Tacoma, and Seattle.
              2) No matter what we try, the first 4 rows of the stands are the WORST seats in the house. This is true at every event we do (FLL, FTC, FRC).  We will call this out again in the team briefings.
              3) The volunteers we task with enforcing this rule typically last for about 30 minutes at the most before they just give in to the masses and go stand in the mosh pit.

              I did get complaints (about 10) about the viewing on Cascade last year. I had about three times (about 30) as many complaints about the Olympic field forcing everyone to sit down. When watching from above, the Olympic field was a dead zone with awesome viewing. The Cascade field was loud and exciting with the first few rows having very bad viewing. No matter which approach we take, someone is going to be unhappy.

              The layout in Seattle is a little different this year, so I will see if we can come up with middle ground.

              Kevin

                Message 7 of 13 , Apr 16, 2013

                  We couldn’t see very well from 15 or hirer bleacher seats up either because of the crowd around the fence.

                  What I’d rather see is a clearer view on the screen. I watched both Seattle and Spokane live feeds. Spokane live stream was superior to Seattle’s live feed. On the Spokane one I could tell which teams were on field because I could read the numbers on the bumpers. Very clear and much closer than the Seattle live feed.  I had no idea on the Seattle live feed who was in the field unless it was my team and I knew they were competing. Could the live feed at Seattle be closer and a bit clearer?

                  Dixie Strunk

                  Team 4682

                  Message 8 of 13 , Apr 17, 2013
                    Thanks for the feedback everyone. Contrary to popular belief, we do consider all of this feedback and know that these issues are important and we do attempt to work with the resources we have.

                    1) We relied on the A/V contractor to setup the video cameras in Seattle. I am in complete agreement with you on Seattle's video, it was not very good quality. Central and Spokane had a second camera on the field and was using much higher quality equipment. The second camera was actually my personal camera and was being operated by students from FRC2910. We learned a lot about how to improve for next year. We understand the importance of having a good stream. We will invest in better equipment and more cameras for next years events. (The cameras being used are moderately high end and only cost about $8,000 each . We will need 9 of them next year. Please understand we will do our best, but if you have an extra $63,000 we would really appreciate your helping us purchase the equipment! :-))

                    2) Central and Spokane had 'stadium' seating which has a very high rake. Seattle has theater seating, which is a shallow rake. The CenturyLink facility has a number of issues (the rake, the arrangement and capacity of the seating, and the number of people in attendance). Central had the pipe and drape 10 feet from the field and 10 feet from the bleachers. It worked well. Seattle had very similar dimensions, but because of the rake of the seating, it didn't work as well. Spokane had the field a little closer to the seating, and it worked well.  The end seating in Seattle was not very good for viewing. In short, CenturyLink is not a great audience venue for an FRC event like this. We have plans for next year that change things substantially.

                    To: pnw-first@yahoogroups.com

                    Message 9 of 13 , Apr 17, 2013
                      I think that Kevin hit upon the key issue. The seating in Seattle was terrible.  Even at the top of the bleachers in the center the view was poor.  Portland, Ellensburg, Cheney all had better views because of the seating.  In Portland we could sit at the top and get a great view of the field.  There wasn't a good place to watch the game in Seattle, except from the sideline, which didn't help.

                      Dan Nowlin
                      Team 3574

[...]

                    • Jodi
                      Message 10 of 13 , Apr 19, 2013

                        Could we go back to the magnificent Key Arena?  Fantastic seating, lighting, screens, and sound.  Now that Seattle is smaller, is this possible?

                        Jodi

                        948