Cart Buildin’ Contest

  • Kevin Ross
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 1, 2008
      Hey Jim Wright,

      I was just sitting around thinking about the Ala Cart! Contest that I found
      on the firstwa.org website at

      http://www.firstwa.org/FRC/Teams/CartContest/tabid/154/Default.aspx

      and realized there are a number of things I needed to ponder in order to
      build such a cart.

      I found some casters on http://www.grizzly.com/catalog/2008/Main/307 which
      seem to have some nice features, including being cheap! Since we have to
      roll over cables, carpet edges, door sills, and elevator cracks, it seems
      like the smallest size I wanted to use was about 4" in diameter. Any
      thoughts on the subject? Any other good sources?

      I was reading the rules, found on
      http://www.firstwa.org/FRC/Teams/CartContest/tabid/154/Default.aspx, and
      realized that functional is very important.

      I am not sure if I should get 4 swivel casters, or should I use two swivel
      and two fixed casters. What do you think? Luckily, I can pay close attention
      to the Height to Mounting plate specification to insure that the casters I
      buy will keep the cart pretty level. I suppose it they were off by 0.1" or
      so, I wouldn't notice much.

      Was thinking about getting casters with locking brakes. Did you know there
      were two kinds? Some lock the wheel so it can't rotate. Double brakes do
      that, PLUS they lock the swivel, so the swivel won't allow the cart to
      shift. Those are pretty cool, I have used them before and thought they were
      wonderful.

      I once built a nice rolling cart using black rubber wheels. I used it in my
      house for an entire day before my wife, graciously and professionally,
      informed me that the wheels were leaving marks on all of the floors in the
      house. After removing a rouge shoe from an unusually dark place, then
      spending about 4 hours cleaning floors, I replaced the casters with the gray
      rubber casters from Grizzly, and had no more problems with marking up the
      floors. Just sayin.

      I measured a door today, and it was 78" tall, and had a 30" opening. Some
      doors are bigger, but that turned out to be a pretty standard door opening
      size. Good thing our robot dimensions are usually around 28" wide and 60"
      tall. Sure would be unfortunate if the cart didn't take that into account.

      Anyway, that’s a lot for putting up that webpage at

      http://www.firstwa.org/FRC/Teams/CartContest/tabid/154/Default.aspx

      I am glad I took time to read it.

      Kevin
    • Jim Wright
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 2, 2008
        Kevin,

        First let me say thank you for inviting me here to talk. FirstWA.org
        has always been good to my campaign and I thank you and all my
        supports here for taking time out of their lives to listen to me.

        Friends, my opponent has been spreading rumors about me saying I
        think robotics should be used for evil and not good. Nothing could
        be farther from the truth. I've always stated that robotics should
        be used for good and not evil. It's my opponent who thinks you
        should be using this technology for evil, in fact they have said that
        if you're not building 70 foot high world dominating robots you will
        be put in jail and I think that is just wrong.

        Now let me answer these questions. Home Depot is a great place to go
        for many of these answers. One of the cool things about Home Depot is
        you don't have to actually buy things from them to use them. Home
        Depot has both shopping carts as well a big lumber haulin' carts.
        You can test drive these carts to see what types of casters you want
        on the front and back end of your cart. Also while your there test
        the lawn mowers to see what type of wheels they use and see if you
        can turn the mower easily.

        We are fortunate about leaving marks on the floors, at the regionals
        however you do have to keep in mind that some times you will be in
        other schools gyms and leaving marks on those floors is frowned
        upon.

        Height is also something to keep in mind. I think we will not have
        to many doors in Key Arena, however if you are thinking of going down
        to Portland, they use the standard height of door and building a talk
        cart and putting a talk robot on it may not fit through doorways that
        easily.

        Your wheels will need to clear cables the size of garden hoses, which
        is about an inch-ish in diameter. So I would not go lower than about
        3 inch wheels. A break on the wheel is also a good idea.

        I've never really paid attention to price on casters since I only
        have bought 12 of them in my life. Carts are something you should be
        able to use over and over again. With that said, whoa, Kevin those
        prices from Grizzly are amazing. I will switch my caster buying to
        those from now on, since I can't beat those prices.

        Friends, thank you so listening and I remind you to vote for me on
        Tuesday, and not my evil robot building opponent.

        -Jim

        --- In pnw-first@yahoogroups.com, "Kevin Ross" <kevinro@...> wrote:

> [...]
        in the
        > house. After removing a rouge shoe from an unusually dark place,
        then
        > spending about 4 hours cleaning floors, I replaced the casters with
        the gray
        > rubber casters from Grizzly, and had no more problems with marking
        up the
        > floors. Just sayin.
        >
        > I measured a door today, and it was 78" tall, and had a 30"
        opening. Some
        > doors are bigger, but that turned out to be a pretty standard door
        opening
        > size. Good thing our robot dimensions are usually around 28" wide
        and 60"
        > tall. Sure would be unfortunate if the cart didn't take that into
        account.

        > Anyway, that's a lot for putting up that webpage at

      • Eric Stokely
        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 3, 2008
          Some of the best carts are at Home Depot. They have 4 wheels and the back ones are straight (fixed) and the front are swivels.
          I am talking about the in store service carts. These manuver well and can be controlled by one person.

          I agree a brake for the wheels could be useful but you can live without it.

          Make sure that what ever you end up using won't allow a completed robot to roll off when on an incline, even if you have no inclines to deal with at your build area.

          As for Jim and his "so called" *good* intentions. I believe we should look at his record. He is often late enough for meetings to be put into key positions before he arrives.

          SOmething to think about to be sure

          Eric
          Team 360