Shipping kits to Seattle

  • Larry Barello
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 3, 2001
      FIRST won't be shipping kits to us on a pallet. I have been
      told that the kits for individual teams won't ship until Friday
      or Saturday of the kickoff and probably half of those won't even
      go out until Monday.

      So, UPS ground (@$40/box) is not viable if you want your kit that
      week!

      Jason recommends 2nd or 3rd day air which will run about $230
      from Manchester to Seattle.

      FOr all teams that got NASA grants, you can use that money for
      shipping your kits if you are not going to a kickoff site.

      Cheers!
    • CAM BROWN
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 3, 2001
        Larry:
        thanks for trying.
        - cam

        On 3 Dec 2001, at 12:18, Larry Barello wrote:

        > FIRST won't be shipping kits to us on a pallet. I have been
        > told that the kits for individual teams won't ship until Friday
        > or Saturday of the kickoff and probably half of those won't even
        > go out until Monday.
        >
        > So, UPS ground (@$40/box) is not viable if you want your kit that
        > week!
        >
        > Jason recommends 2nd or 3rd day air which will run about $230
        > from Manchester to Seattle.
        >
        > FOr all teams that got NASA grants, you can use that money for
        > shipping your kits if you are not going to a kickoff site.
        >
        > Cheers!

      • Eric Stokely
        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 3, 2001
          OK I purposly responded to the group with this question, although its
          directed at Larry.

          Are there any plans on having the kits at the San Jose version of the
          kick off?
          Its a lot easier to get them from San Jose than Manchester.

          For those numbers we could rent a uhaul as a group and drive it up here
          in 15 hours.

          I would volunteer to help with the driving/organizing if this is a
          viable way to do it.

          Thanks
          Eric Stokely
          team 360
          On Monday, December 3, 2001, at 12:18 PM, Larry Barello wrote:

          > FIRST won't be shipping kits to us on a pallet. I have been
          > told that the kits for individual teams won't ship until Friday
          > or Saturday of the kickoff and probably half of those won't even
          > go out until Monday.
          >
          > So, UPS ground (@$40/box) is not viable if you want your kit that
          > week!
          >
          > Jason recommends 2nd or 3rd day air which will run about $230
          > from Manchester to Seattle.
          >
          > FOr all teams that got NASA grants, you can use that money for
          > shipping your kits if you are not going to a kickoff site.
          >
          > Cheers!

          > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

        • Larry Barello
          Message 4 of 6 , Dec 3, 2001
            That works for me as long as I don't have to be involved with the driving.  A one way u-haul is going to be ~$500 so it works out pretty good if three or four or more teams buddy up.

            According to the FIRST web site NO KITS WILL SHIP EARLIER THAN MONDAY, JAN 7th.  So, unless you are willing to pay for overnight or second day shipping it is unlikely you would see your kits that week.  Overnight and second day shipping runs into the $300 range quickly.  If everyone had their kits delivered via van, the pro-rated cost would be something in the $100 range.

            Any decision needs to be made ASAP as the deadline for deciding where the kits are delivered is this FRIDAY. I talked with Jason Morella and he saw no obstacles for having all kits picked up in SJC and delivered to Seattle. So, to make this happen the following needs to be done:

            1. We need someone to commit to driving up from SJC in a van w/no seats.  I imagine having two people would make the drive more tolerable.

            2. Everyone who wants their kits on Sunday needs to sign up and set their delivery information.

            So, who is going to San Jose for the kickoff?  I presume everyone wants their kits delivered from San Jose (makes it cheap and we get the kits several days earlier).

            Message 5 of 6 , Dec 4, 2001
              Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
            • CAM BROWN
              Message 6 of 6 , Dec 4, 2001
                Eric: team 360 loves your idea - we will help pay!
                - cam