Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.

FRC kickoff?

Expand Messages
  • Cathy Saxton
    Is there a plan for the regional FRC kickoff? We keep assuming that it will be at the International School again this year, but I haven t heard any specific
    Message 1 of 12 , Dec 5, 2006
    • 0 Attachment
      Is there a plan for the regional FRC kickoff? We keep assuming that it will
      be at the International School again this year, but I haven't heard any
      specific details (or a confirmation).

      Here's some broadcast info that may be of use to teams:
      * NASA TV will broadcast the kickoff event from 7 a.m. to noon (our time).
      * DirectTV DSS carries NASA TV on channel 376, but you need a
      multi-satellite/oval dish to get it.
      * Comcast cable channel 76, UW2 <http://www.washington.edu/uw2tv/nasa.html>,
      will show the NASA feed during kickoff.

      Cathy Saxton
      FIRST Team 1318
      Issaquah Robotics Society
      cathy@...
    • DeVine, Craig (MTHS)
      Cathy, Glad you ve begun some discussion about the Kickoff. We re excited about it. I have a question for the group too. Can we bring more than 10 people? I
      Message 2 of 12 , Dec 6, 2006
      • 0 Attachment
        Re:FRC kickoff?

        Cathy,
        Glad you've begun some discussion about the Kickoff.  We're excited about it. 

        I have a question for the group too.  Can we bring more than 10 people? I noted somewhere that the maximum was 10.  We have 15 interested in coming, between students, advisors and mentors.  Would we create an difficulties by bringing a few extra? 

        Thanks for your comments,

        Craig DeVine
        Team 1778
        Mountlake Terrace HS

      • silverpagdoa
        Glad you re starting a discussion about this, Cathy. We re coming from Mountlake Terrace HS. Question for the organizers... would it be okay if we bring 15
        Message 3 of 12 , Dec 6, 2006
        • 0 Attachment
          Glad you're starting a discussion about this, Cathy. We're coming
          from Mountlake Terrace HS. Question for the organizers... would it
          be okay if we bring 15 people? Between students, advisors and
          mentors, we have a bigger-than-normal group that wants to come.

          OK with everyone, or would you prefer us to keep it 10 maximum? Can
          we bring anything or help in some way?

          Craig


          --- In pnw-first@yahoogroups.com, "Cathy Saxton" <yahoogroup@...>
          wrote:
          >
          > Is there a plan for the regional FRC kickoff? We keep assuming that
          it will
          > be at the International School again this year, but I haven't heard
          any
          > specific details (or a confirmation).
          >
          > Here's some broadcast info that may be of use to teams:
          > * NASA TV will broadcast the kickoff event from 7 a.m. to noon (our
          time).
          > * DirectTV DSS carries NASA TV on channel 376, but you need a
          > multi-satellite/oval dish to get it.
          > * Comcast cable channel 76, UW2
          <http://www.washington.edu/uw2tv/nasa.html>,
          > will show the NASA feed during kickoff.
          >
          > Cathy Saxton
          > FIRST Team 1318
          > Issaquah Robotics Society
          > cathy@...
          >
        • Erik Thulin
          Looking purely on seating availability the MAX per-team we can sustain is 15. That being said that is assuming maximum attendance. Once we get confirmation
          Message 4 of 12 , Dec 8, 2006
          • 0 Attachment
            Looking purely on seating availability the MAX per-team we can sustain is 15.  That being said that is assuming maximum attendance.  Once we get confirmation from everyone on who is coming then that may be raised.  That brings up the issue of getting the TRC the info ASAP.  Please send in your request for an invoice with the required information as soon as you know that you will be attending the kickoff.

            Thanks,
             - Erik

            On 12/6/06, silverpagdoa <DevineC@...> wrote:

            Glad you're starting a discussion about this, Cathy. We're coming
            from Mountlake Terrace HS. Question for the organizers... would it
            be okay if we bring 15 people? Between students, advisors and
            mentors, we have a bigger-than-normal group that wants to come.

            OK with everyone, or would you prefer us to keep it 10 maximum? Can
            we bring anything or help in some way?

            Craig

            --- In pnw-first@yahoogroups.com, "Cathy Saxton" <yahoogroup@...>
            wrote:
            >
            > Is there a plan for the regional FRC kickoff? We keep assuming that
            it will
            > be at the International School again this year, but I haven't heard
            any
            > specific details (or a confirmation).
            >
            > Here's some broadcast info that may be of use to teams:
            > * NASA TV will broadcast the kickoff event from 7 a.m. to noon (our
            time).
            > * DirectTV DSS carries NASA TV on channel 376, but you need a
            > multi-satellite/oval dish to get it.
            > * Comcast cable channel 76, UW2
            <http://www.washington.edu/uw2tv/nasa.html>,
            > will show the NASA feed during kickoff.
            >
            > Cathy Saxton
            > FIRST Team 1318
            > Issaquah Robotics Society
            > cathy@...
            >




            --
            Unless otherwise noted the content of this message is licensed under a:
            Creative Commons Attribution, Share Alike License.  CreativeCommons.org
            Blog: http://www.freedomdown.net/blog/
            Phone: (425)-939-0580
          • Cathy Saxton
            Hi Erik. What about running the video feed in several overflow classrooms? IIRC, the gym where the field was set up last year had plenty of space, so there are
            Message 5 of 12 , Dec 10, 2006
            • 0 Attachment
              Hi Erik.

              What about running the video feed in several overflow classrooms? IIRC, the
              gym where the field was set up last year had plenty of space, so there are
              just be seating limitations in the auditorium, right?

              We'd like all of our team members (~25 people) to be able to participate in
              the kickoff.

              Cathy

              > -----Original Message-----
              > From: pnw-first@yahoogroups.com
              > [mailto:pnw-first@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Erik Thulin
              > Sent: Friday, December 08, 2006 6:41 PM
              > To: pnw-first@yahoogroups.com
              > Subject: Re: [pnw-first] Re: FRC kickoff?
              >
              >
              > Looking purely on seating availability the MAX per-team we
              > can sustain is 15. That being said that is assuming maximum
              > attendance. Once we get confirmation from everyone on who is
              > coming then that may be raised. That brings up the issue of
              > getting the TRC the info ASAP. Please send in your request
              > for an invoice with the required information as soon as you
              > know that you will be attending the kickoff.
              >
              > Thanks,
              > - Erik
              >
              >
              > On 12/6/06, silverpagdoa <DevineC@...
              > <mailto:DevineC@...> > wrote:
              >
              > Glad you're starting a discussion about this, Cathy.
              > We're coming
              > from Mountlake Terrace HS. Question for the
              > organizers... would it
              > be okay if we bring 15 people? Between students, advisors and
              > mentors, we have a bigger-than-normal group that wants to come.
              >
              > OK with everyone, or would you prefer us to keep it 10
              > maximum? Can
              > we bring anything or help in some way?
              >
              > Craig
              >
              > --- In pnw-first@yahoogroups.com
              > <mailto:pnw-first%40yahoogroups.com> , "Cathy Saxton"
              > <yahoogroup@...>
              > wrote:
              > >
              > > Is there a plan for the regional FRC kickoff? We keep
              > assuming that
              > it will
              > > be at the International School again this year, but I
              > haven't heard
              > any
              > > specific details (or a confirmation).
              > >
              > > Here's some broadcast info that may be of use to teams:
              > > * NASA TV will broadcast the kickoff event from 7
              > a.m. to noon (our
              > time).
              > > * DirectTV DSS carries NASA TV on channel 376, but you need a
              > > multi-satellite/oval dish to get it.
              > > * Comcast cable channel 76, UW2
              > <http://www.washington.edu/uw2tv/nasa.html
              > <http://www.washington.edu/uw2tv/nasa.html> >,
              > > will show the NASA feed during kickoff.
              > >
              > > Cathy Saxton
              > > FIRST Team 1318
              > > Issaquah Robotics Society
              > > cathy@...
              > >
              >
              >
              >
              >
              >
              >
              >
              >
              > --
              > Unless otherwise noted the content of this message is
              > licensed under a:
              > Creative Commons Attribution, Share Alike License.
              > CreativeCommons.org
              > Blog: http://www.freedomdown.net/blog/
              > <http://www.freedomdown.net/blog/>
              > Phone: (425)-939-0580
              >
              >
            • Erik Thulin
              There are a couple problems. Firstly we do not have access to the Smart Boards in the class rooms so those are out. As for the Gym, that would work fine
              Message 6 of 12 , Dec 10, 2006
              • 0 Attachment
                There are a couple problems.  Firstly we do not have access to the "Smart Boards" in the class rooms so those are out.  As for the Gym, that would work fine except the issue of the field, which no one can see, being in the gym!  I will look into the classrooms, but I can not promise anything.  In the meantime if you have any other suggestions about how to do it I would be glad to entertain them.

                Thanks,
                 - Erik

                On 12/10/06, Cathy Saxton <yahoogroup@...> wrote:

                Hi Erik.

                What about running the video feed in several overflow classrooms? IIRC, the
                gym where the field was set up last year had plenty of space, so there are
                just be seating limitations in the auditorium, right?

                We'd like all of our team members (~25 people) to be able to participate in
                the kickoff.

                Cathy

                > -----Original Message-----
                > From: pnw-first@yahoogroups.com
                > [mailto:pnw-first@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Erik Thulin
                > Sent: Friday, December 08, 2006 6:41 PM
                > To: pnw-first@yahoogroups.com
                > Subject: Re: [pnw-first] Re: FRC kickoff?
                >
                >
                > Looking purely on seating availability the MAX per-team we
                > can sustain is 15. That being said that is assuming maximum
                > attendance. Once we get confirmation from everyone on who is
                > coming then that may be raised. That brings up the issue of
                > getting the TRC the info ASAP. Please send in your request
                > for an invoice with the required information as soon as you
                > know that you will be attending the kickoff.
                >
                > Thanks,
                > - Erik
                >
                >
                > On 12/6/06, silverpagdoa <DevineC@...
                > <mailto:DevineC@...> > wrote:
                >
                > Glad you're starting a discussion about this, Cathy.
                > We're coming
                > from Mountlake Terrace HS. Question for the
                > organizers... would it
                > be okay if we bring 15 people? Between students, advisors and
                > mentors, we have a bigger-than-normal group that wants to come.
                >
                > OK with everyone, or would you prefer us to keep it 10
                > maximum? Can
                > we bring anything or help in some way?
                >
                > Craig
                >
                > --- In pnw-first@yahoogroups.com
                > <mailto:pnw-first%40yahoogro ups.com> , "Cathy Saxton"
                > <yahoogroup@...>
                > wrote:
                > >
                > > Is there a plan for the regional FRC kickoff? We keep
                > assuming that
                > it will
                > > be at the International School again this year, but I
                > haven't heard
                > any
                > > specific details (or a confirmation).
                > >
                > > Here's some broadcast info that may be of use to teams:
                > > * NASA TV will broadcast the kickoff event from 7
                > a.m. to noon (our
                > time).
                > > * DirectTV DSS carries NASA TV on channel 376, but you need a
                > > multi-satellite/oval dish to get it.
                > > * Comcast cable channel 76, UW2
                > <http://www.washington.edu/uw2tv/nasa.html
                > <http://www.washington.edu/uw2tv/nasa.html> >,
                > > will show the NASA feed during kickoff.
                > >
                > > Cathy Saxton
                > > FIRST Team 1318
                > > Issaquah Robotics Society
                > > cathy@...
                > >
                >
                >
                >
                >
                >
                >
                >
                >
                > --
                > Unless otherwise noted the content of this message is
                > licensed under a:
                > Creative Commons Attribution, Share Alike License.
                > CreativeCommons.org
                > Blog: http://www.freedomdown.net/blog/
                > <http://www.freedomdown.net/blog/>
                > Phone: (425)-939-0580
                >
                >




                --
                Unless otherwise noted the content of this message is licensed under a:
                Creative Commons Attribution, Share Alike License.  CreativeCommons.org
                Blog: http://www.freedomdown.net/blog/
                Phone: (425)-939-0580
              • Cathy Saxton
                Erik, What are Smart Boards? Sorry I wasn t clearer about the gym. I m not proposing moving the video from the auditorium, just making that video available
                Message 7 of 12 , Dec 10, 2006
                • 0 Attachment
                  Erik,

                  What are "Smart Boards?"

                  Sorry I wasn't clearer about the gym. I'm not proposing moving the video
                  from the auditorium, just making that video available in classrooms as well.
                  After the video, we can all go to the gym to see the field. Is there enough
                  room for all teams to have a larger attendance in the gym?

                  Thanks,
                  Cathy

                  > -----Original Message-----
                  > From: pnw-first@yahoogroups.com
                  > [mailto:pnw-first@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Erik Thulin
                  > Sent: Sunday, December 10, 2006 4:12 PM
                  > To: pnw-first@yahoogroups.com
                  > Subject: Re: [pnw-first] Re: FRC kickoff?
                  >
                  >
                  > There are a couple problems. Firstly we do not have access
                  > to the "Smart Boards" in the class rooms so those are out.
                  > As for the Gym, that would work fine except the issue of the
                  > field, which no one can see, being in the gym! I will look
                  > into the classrooms, but I can not promise anything. In the
                  > meantime if you have any other suggestions about how to do it
                  > I would be glad to entertain them.
                  >
                  > Thanks,
                  > - Erik
                  >
                  >
                  > On 12/10/06, Cathy Saxton <yahoogroup@...
                  > <mailto:yahoogroup@...> > wrote:
                  >
                  > Hi Erik.
                  >
                  > What about running the video feed in several overflow
                  > classrooms? IIRC, the
                  > gym where the field was set up last year had plenty of
                  > space, so there are
                  > just be seating limitations in the auditorium, right?
                  >
                  > We'd like all of our team members (~25 people) to be
                  > able to participate in
                  > the kickoff.
                  >
                  > Cathy
                  >
                  > > -----Original Message-----
                  > > From: pnw-first@yahoogroups.com
                  > <mailto:pnw-first%40yahoogroups.com>
                  > > [mailto:pnw-first@yahoogroups.com
                  > <mailto:pnw-first%40yahoogroups.com> ] On Behalf Of Erik Thulin
                  > > Sent: Friday, December 08, 2006 6:41 PM
                  > > To: pnw-first@yahoogroups.com
                  > <mailto:pnw-first%40yahoogroups.com>
                  > > Subject: Re: [pnw-first] Re: FRC kickoff?
                  > >
                  > >
                  > > Looking purely on seating availability the MAX per-team we
                  > > can sustain is 15. That being said that is assuming maximum
                  > > attendance. Once we get confirmation from everyone on who is
                  > > coming then that may be raised. That brings up the issue of
                  > > getting the TRC the info ASAP. Please send in your request
                  > > for an invoice with the required information as soon as you
                  > > know that you will be attending the kickoff.
                  > >
                  > > Thanks,
                  > > - Erik
                  > >
                  > >
                  > > On 12/6/06, silverpagdoa <DevineC@...
                  > <mailto:DevineC%40edmonds.wednet.edu>
                  > > <mailto:DevineC@...
                  > <mailto:DevineC%40edmonds.wednet.edu> > > wrote:
                  > >
                  > > Glad you're starting a discussion about this, Cathy.
                  > > We're coming
                  > > from Mountlake Terrace HS. Question for the
                  > > organizers... would it
                  > > be okay if we bring 15 people? Between students, advisors and
                  > > mentors, we have a bigger-than-normal group that
                  > wants to come.
                  > >
                  > > OK with everyone, or would you prefer us to keep it 10
                  > > maximum? Can
                  > > we bring anything or help in some way?
                  > >
                  > > Craig
                  > >
                  > > --- In pnw-first@yahoogroups.com
                  > <mailto:pnw-first%40yahoogroups.com>
                  > > <mailto:pnw-first%40yahoogro ups.com <http://ups.com>
                  > > , "Cathy Saxton"
                  > > <yahoogroup@...>
                  > > wrote:
                  > > >
                  > > > Is there a plan for the regional FRC kickoff? We keep
                  > > assuming that
                  > > it will
                  > > > be at the International School again this year, but I
                  > > haven't heard
                  > > any
                  > > > specific details (or a confirmation).
                  > > >
                  > > > Here's some broadcast info that may be of use to teams:
                  > > > * NASA TV will broadcast the kickoff event from 7
                  > > a.m. to noon (our
                  > > time).
                  > > > * DirectTV DSS carries NASA TV on channel 376, but
                  > you need a
                  > > > multi-satellite/oval dish to get it.
                  > > > * Comcast cable channel 76, UW2
                  > > <http://www.washington.edu/uw2tv/nasa.html
                  > <http://www.washington.edu/uw2tv/nasa.html>
                  > > <http://www.washington.edu/uw2tv/nasa.html
                  > <http://www.washington.edu/uw2tv/nasa.html> > >,
                  > > > will show the NASA feed during kickoff.
                  > > >
                  > > > Cathy Saxton
                  > > > FIRST Team 1318
                  > > > Issaquah Robotics Society
                  > > > cathy@...
                  > > >
                  > >
                  > >
                  > >
                  > >
                  > >
                  > >
                  > >
                  > >
                  > > --
                  > > Unless otherwise noted the content of this message is
                  > > licensed under a:
                  > > Creative Commons Attribution, Share Alike License.
                  > > CreativeCommons.org
                  > > Blog: http://www.freedomdown.net/blog/
                  > <http://www.freedomdown.net/blog/>
                  > > <http://www.freedomdown.net/blog/
                  > <http://www.freedomdown.net/blog/> >
                  > > Phone: (425)-939-0580
                  > >
                  > >
                  >
                  >
                  >
                  >
                  >
                  >
                  >
                  >
                  > --
                  > Unless otherwise noted the content of this message is
                  > licensed under a:
                  > Creative Commons Attribution, Share Alike License.
                  > CreativeCommons.org
                  > Blog: http://www.freedomdown.net/blog/
                  > <http://www.freedomdown.net/blog/>
                  > Phone: (425)-939-0580
                  >
                  >
                • Erik Thulin
                  The Smart Boards are the projectors hooked up in each class room. I now understand what you are gunning for in terms of classrooms. We are looking into it
                  Message 8 of 12 , Dec 10, 2006
                  • 0 Attachment
                    The "Smart Boards" are the projectors hooked up in each class room.

                    I now understand what you are gunning for in terms of classrooms.  We are looking into it but no promises at the moment.

                     - Erik

                    On 12/10/06, Cathy Saxton <yahoogroup@...> wrote:

                    Erik,

                    What are "Smart Boards?"

                    Sorry I wasn't clearer about the gym. I'm not proposing moving the video
                    from the auditorium, just making that video available in classrooms as well.
                    After the video, we can all go to the gym to see the field. Is there enough
                    room for all teams to have a larger attendance in the gym?

                    Thanks,
                    Cathy

                    > -----Original Message-----
                    > From: pnw-first@yahoogroups.com
                    > [mailto:pnw-first@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Erik Thulin
                    > Sent: Sunday, December 10, 2006 4:12 PM
                    > To: pnw-first@yahoogroups.com
                    > Subject: Re: [pnw-first] Re: FRC kickoff?
                    >
                    >
                    > There are a couple problems. Firstly we do not have access
                    > to the "Smart Boards" in the class rooms so those are out.
                    > As for the Gym, that would work fine except the issue of the
                    > field, which no one can see, being in the gym! I will look
                    > into the classrooms, but I can not promise anything. In the
                    > meantime if you have any other suggestions about how to do it
                    > I would be glad to entertain them.
                    >
                    > Thanks,
                    > - Erik
                    >
                    >
                    > On 12/10/06, Cathy Saxton <yahoogroup@...
                    > <mailto:yahoogroup@...> > wrote:
                    >
                    > Hi Erik.
                    >
                    > What about running the video feed in several overflow
                    > classrooms? IIRC, the
                    > gym where the field was set up last year had plenty of
                    > space, so there are
                    > just be seating limitations in the auditorium, right?
                    >
                    > We'd like all of our team members (~25 people) to be
                    > able to participate in
                    > the kickoff.
                    >
                    > Cathy
                    >
                    > > -----Original Message-----
                    > > From: pnw-first@yahoogroups.com
                    > <mailto:pnw-first%40yahoogro ups.com>
                    > > [mailto:pnw-first@yahoogroups.com
                    > <mailto:pnw-first%40yahoogro ups.com> ] On Behalf Of Erik Thulin
                    > > Sent: Friday, December 08, 2006 6:41 PM
                    > > To: pnw-first@yahoogroups.com
                    > <mailto:pnw-first%40yahoogro ups.com>
                    > > Subject: Re: [pnw-first] Re: FRC kickoff?
                    > >
                    > >
                    > > Looking purely on seating availability the MAX per-team we
                    > > can sustain is 15. That being said that is assuming maximum
                    > > attendance. Once we get confirmation from everyone on who is
                    > > coming then that may be raised. That brings up the issue of
                    > > getting the TRC the info ASAP. Please send in your request
                    > > for an invoice with the required information as soon as you
                    > > know that you will be attending the kickoff.
                    > >
                    > > Thanks,
                    > > - Erik
                    > >
                    > >
                    > > On 12/6/06, silverpagdoa <DevineC@...
                    > <mailto:DevineC%40edmonds. wednet.edu>
                    > > <mailto:DevineC@...
                    > <mailto:DevineC%40edmonds. wednet.edu> > > wrote:
                    > >
                    > > Glad you're starting a discussion about this, Cathy.
                    > > We're coming
                    > > from Mountlake Terrace HS. Question for the
                    > > organizers... would it
                    > > be okay if we bring 15 people? Between students, advisors and
                    > > mentors, we have a bigger-than-normal group that
                    > wants to come.
                    > >
                    > > OK with everyone, or would you prefer us to keep it 10
                    > > maximum? Can
                    > > we bring anything or help in some way?
                    > >
                    > > Craig
                    > >
                    > > --- In pnw-first@yahoogroups.com
                    > <mailto:pnw-first%40yahoogro ups.com>
                    > > <mailto:pnw-first%40yahoogro ups.com <http://ups.com>


                    > > , "Cathy Saxton"
                    > > <yahoogroup@...>
                    > > wrote:
                    > > >
                    > > > Is there a plan for the regional FRC kickoff? We keep
                    > > assuming that
                    > > it will
                    > > > be at the International School again this year, but I
                    > > haven't heard
                    > > any
                    > > > specific details (or a confirmation).
                    > > >
                    > > > Here's some broadcast info that may be of use to teams:
                    > > > * NASA TV will broadcast the kickoff event from 7
                    > > a.m. to noon (our
                    > > time).
                    > > > * DirectTV DSS carries NASA TV on channel 376, but
                    > you need a
                    > > > multi-satellite/oval dish to get it.
                    > > > * Comcast cable channel 76, UW2
                    > > <http://www.washington.edu/uw2tv/nasa.html
                    > <http://www.washington.edu/uw2tv/nasa.html>
                    > > <http://www.washington.edu/uw2tv/nasa.html
                    > <http://www.washington.edu/uw2tv/nasa.html> > >,
                    > > > will show the NASA feed during kickoff.
                    > > >
                    > > > Cathy Saxton
                    > > > FIRST Team 1318
                    > > > Issaquah Robotics Society
                    > > > cathy@...
                    > > >
                    > >
                    > >
                    > >
                    > >
                    > >
                    > >
                    > >
                    > >
                    > > --
                    > > Unless otherwise noted the content of this message is
                    > > licensed under a:
                    > > Creative Commons Attribution, Share Alike License.
                    > > CreativeCommons.org
                    > > Blog: http://www.freedomdown.net/blog/
                    > <http://www.freedomdown.net/blog/>
                    > > <http://www.freedomdown.net/blog/
                    > <http://www.freedomdown.net/blog/> >
                    > > Phone: (425)-939-0580
                    > >
                    > >
                    >
                    >
                    >
                    >
                    >
                    >
                    >
                    >
                    > --
                    > Unless otherwise noted the content of this message is
                    > licensed under a:
                    > Creative Commons Attribution, Share Alike License.
                    > CreativeCommons.org
                    > Blog: http://www.freedomdown.net/blog/
                    > <http://www.freedomdown.net/blog/>
                    > Phone: (425)-939-0580
                    >
                    >




                    --
                    Unless otherwise noted the content of this message is licensed under a:
                    Creative Commons Attribution, Share Alike License.  CreativeCommons.org
                    Blog: http://www.freedomdown.net/blog/
                    Phone: (425)-939-0580
                  • Tom Saxton
                    One more thought on the kick-off event... Would it be possible to move the KOP pick-up to between the video and the playfield demo? This would allow a bunch of
                    Message 9 of 12 , Dec 12, 2006
                    • 0 Attachment
                      One more thought on the kick-off event...

                      Would it be possible to move the KOP pick-up to between the video and the
                      playfield demo?

                      This would allow a bunch of people 30 minutes to read the rules before we
                      start doing the playfield demo. Last year we spent a bunch of time figuring
                      out some of the subtleties of the rules before we could get through
                      simulating the game. If a group of people can bring laptops with the
                      encrypted PDFs and read while teams load the KOP into their vehicles, the
                      demo should go more smoothly.

                      --
                      Tom Saxton - Team 1318
                      tom@...
                    • Erik Thulin
                      Tom, Disregarding that it may be hard to make sure everyone gets the updated time, let me explain why it is set up as such. It is just such a break that
                      Message 10 of 12 , Dec 12, 2006
                      • 0 Attachment
                        Tom,

                        Disregarding that it may be hard to make sure everyone gets the updated time, let me explain why it is set up as such.  It is just such a break that people start getting into their head odd misconceptions about the game, accidentally making up rules and the like.  One of the great things about having the on field demo right after is that no one had convinced themselves of too many false rules, and were pretty much blank slates.

                        That is our logic,
                         - Erik Thulin, TRC COO

                        On 12/12/06, Tom Saxton <tom@... > wrote:

                        One more thought on the kick-off event...

                        Would it be possible to move the KOP pick-up to between the video and the
                        playfield demo?

                        This would allow a bunch of people 30 minutes to read the rules before we
                        start doing the playfield demo. Last year we spent a bunch of time figuring
                        out some of the subtleties of the rules before we could get through
                        simulating the game. If a group of people can bring laptops with the
                        encrypted PDFs and read while teams load the KOP into their vehicles, the
                        demo should go more smoothly.

                        --
                        Tom Saxton - Team 1318
                        tom@...




                        --
                        Unless otherwise noted the content of this message is licensed under a:
                        Creative Commons Attribution, Share Alike License.  CreativeCommons.org
                        Blog: http://www.freedomdown.net/blog/
                        Phone: (425)-939-0580
                      • Tom Saxton
                        Eric, Are you saying that the more time people have to read the rules, the more misconceptions they will have? I m sure that s wrong. People get misconceptions
                        Message 11 of 12 , Dec 13, 2006
                        • 0 Attachment
                          Eric,

                          Are you saying that the more time people have to read the rules, the more
                          misconceptions they will have? I'm sure that's wrong. People get
                          misconceptions from watching the video and starting the discussion before
                          reading the rules.

                          Under your scheme, who knows the rules and can lead the discussion? It isn't
                          anyone who has only watched the video. It isn't the people who built the
                          playfield - they don't learn the rules until the rest of us do.

                          Last year, we would have misinformed everyone on several rules were it not
                          for the fact that a couple of people had read parts of the rules and were
                          able to correct mistakes before they were trained into everyone's brains. We
                          wasted a portion of the demo time waiting for people with laptops to look up
                          rules before we could start. In fact, in the three years I've attended
                          kick-off meetings, the rules discussion gets started by the organizers then
                          taken over by the people who manage to speed read through the rules.

                          With the half hour break, we can divide up the critical rules documents
                          among volunteer fast readers and then have an informed discussion of the
                          rules as part of the playfield demo and simulation.

                          Regarding notifying everyone of the change, you have contact info for
                          everyone, right? Isn't that the whole point of the RSVP?

                          If that's the only reason for not doing this, and you have any teams that
                          are only going to pick up the KOP without attending the rest, and you are
                          unable to contact them, then I will personally skip the second half of the
                          playfield demo and man the KOP distribution during the original time slot.

                          --
                          Tom Saxton - Team 1318
                          tom@...


                          on 12/12/06 11:28 PM, Erik Thulin wrote:

                          > Tom,
                          >
                          > Disregarding that it may be hard to make sure everyone gets the updated
                          > time, let me explain why it is set up as such. It is just such a break that
                          > people start getting into their head odd misconceptions about the game,
                          > accidentally making up rules and the like. One of the great things about
                          > having the on field demo right after is that no one had convinced themselves
                          > of too many false rules, and were pretty much blank slates.
                          >
                          > That is our logic,
                          > - Erik Thulin, TRC COO
                          >
                          > On 12/12/06, Tom Saxton <tom@...> wrote:
                          >>
                          >> One more thought on the kick-off event...
                          >>
                          >> Would it be possible to move the KOP pick-up to between the video and the
                          >> playfield demo?
                          >>
                          >> This would allow a bunch of people 30 minutes to read the rules before we
                          >> start doing the playfield demo. Last year we spent a bunch of time
                          >> figuring
                          >> out some of the subtleties of the rules before we could get through
                          >> simulating the game. If a group of people can bring laptops with the
                          >> encrypted PDFs and read while teams load the KOP into their vehicles, the
                          >> demo should go more smoothly.
                          >>
                          >> --
                          >> Tom Saxton - Team 1318
                          >> tom@... <tom%40issaquahrobotics.org>
                          >>
                          >>
                          >>
                          >
                          >
                        • Erik Thulin
                          Tom, What I was getting at is that, in the past, when all of us have come together and talked as a group, it has quickly straightened anyone out over the
                          Message 12 of 12 , Dec 13, 2006
                          • 0 Attachment
                            Tom,

                            What I was getting at is that, in the past, when all of us have come
                            together and talked as a group, it has quickly straightened anyone out
                            over the rules.

                            The fact is after looking at it I think both schedules would work out
                            fine. But barring some extremely important reason to change the
                            schedule we will keep it consistant as sponsors have already been
                            given hard copy schedules in their invitations.

                            Thanks,
                            - Erik Thulin, TRC COO

                            >
















                            Eric,
                            >

                            >
                            Are you saying that the more time people have to read the rules, the more
                            >
                            misconceptions they will have? I'm sure that's wrong. People get
                            >
                            misconceptions from watching the video and starting the discussion before
                            >
                            reading the rules.
                            >

                            >
                            Under your scheme, who knows the rules and can lead the discussion? It isn't
                            >
                            anyone who has only watched the video. It isn't the people who built the
                            >
                            playfield - they don't learn the rules until the rest of us do.
                            >

                            >
                            Last year, we would have misinformed everyone on several rules were it not
                            >
                            for the fact that a couple of people had read parts of the rules and were
                            >
                            able to correct mistakes before they were trained into everyone's brains. We
                            >
                            wasted a portion of the demo time waiting for people with laptops to look up
                            >
                            rules before we could start. In fact, in the three years I've attended
                            >
                            kick-off meetings, the rules discussion gets started by the organizers then
                            >
                            taken over by the people who manage to speed read through the rules.
                            >

                            >
                            With the half hour break, we can divide up the critical rules documents
                            >
                            among volunteer fast readers and then have an informed discussion of the
                            >
                            rules as part of the playfield demo and simulation.
                            >

                            >
                            Regarding notifying everyone of the change, you have contact info for
                            >
                            everyone, right? Isn't that the whole point of the RSVP?
                            >

                            >
                            If that's the only reason for not doing this, and you have any teams that
                            >
                            are only going to pick up the KOP without attending the rest, and you are
                            >
                            unable to contact them, then I will personally skip the second half of the
                            >
                            playfield demo and man the KOP distribution during the original time slot.
                            >

                            >
                            --
                            >
                            Tom Saxton - Team 1318
                            >
                            tom@...
                            >

                            >
                            on 12/12/06 11:28 PM, Erik Thulin wrote:
                            >

                            >
                            > Tom,
                            >
                            >
                            >
                            > Disregarding that it may be hard to make sure everyone gets the updated
                            >
                            > time, let me explain why it is set up as such. It is just such a break that
                            >
                            > people start getting into their head odd misconceptions about the game,
                            >
                            > accidentally making up rules and the like. One of the great things about
                            >
                            > having the on field demo right after is that no one had convinced themselves
                            >
                            > of too many false rules, and were pretty much blank slates.
                            >
                            >
                            >
                            > That is our logic,
                            >
                            > - Erik Thulin, TRC COO
                            >
                            >
                            >
                            > On 12/12/06, Tom Saxton <tom@...> wrote:
                            >
                            >>
                            >
                            >> One more thought on the kick-off event...
                            >
                            >>
                            >
                            >> Would it be possible to move the KOP pick-up to between the video and the
                            >
                            >> playfield demo?
                            >
                            >>
                            >
                            >> This would allow a bunch of people 30 minutes to read the rules before we
                            >
                            >> start doing the playfield demo. Last year we spent a bunch of time
                            >
                            >> figuring
                            >
                            >> out some of the subtleties of the rules before we could get through
                            >
                            >> simulating the game. If a group of people can bring laptops with the
                            >
                            >> encrypted PDFs and read while teams load the KOP into their vehicles, the
                            >
                            >> demo should go more smoothly.
                            >
                            >>
                            >
                            >> --
                            >
                            >> Tom Saxton - Team 1318
                            >
                            >> tom@... <tom%40issaquahrobotics.org>
                            >
                            >>
                            >
                            >>
                            >
                            >>
                            >
                            >
                            >
                            >
                            >

                            >
                          Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.