RE: [pnw-first] FIRST Demo

  • Cathy Saxton
    Message 1 of 15 , May 13, 2006
      This is a reminder that the FIRST demo at the Issaquah Public Market is in 2
      weeks, on May 27th. It's at Pickering Barn, which is just off exit #15 from
      I-90. The link below has a map and directions. This is a great opportunity
      to get the public informed about our programs!

      Please let me know if your team can make it so I can have an approximate
      count of teams participating.

      Thanks!
      Cathy Saxton
      FIRST Team 1318
      Issaquah Robotics Society
      cathy@...

    • Donna Lew
      Message 2 of 15 , May 15, 2006

        Count Team 488 as a maybe. I have been traveling for the past three weeks, need to connect with the kids again. We need to check out HEX ...just received from the Atl.

        Not sure, but if the 2005 model fits in my van with HEX ...we could possibly bring two robots.

        Donna Y. Lew 206 972-4119

        From: "Cathy Saxton" <yahoogroup@...>
        To: <pnw-first@yahoogroups.com>
        Subject: RE: [pnw-first] FIRST Demo
        Date: Sat, 13 May 2006 19:13:28 -0700

        This is a reminder that the FIRST demo at the Issaquah Public Market is in 2
        weeks, on May 27th. It's at Pickering Barn, which is just off exit #15 from
        I-90. The link below has a map and directions. This is a great opportunity
        to get the public informed about our programs!

        Please let me know if your team can make it so I can have an approximate
        count of teams participating.

        Thanks!
        Cathy Saxton
        FIRST Team 1318
        Issaquah Robotics Society
        cathy@...

        Online mechanical engineering degreeMechanical engineering degree onlineMechanical engineering
        Mechanical engineering classMechanical engineering informationMechanical engineering degree

        YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

      • Eric Stokely
        Message 3 of 15 , May 16, 2006
          Hopefully everyone got a copy of the survey Jason M is asking us to
          fill out.

          Seems to me we can make a larger voice with the survey by giving them
          something in writing to look at.

          So before I push send I was wondering if anyone had strong opinions
          about of parts of the competition from 2006. My reason for asking is
          if 12 teams say."From now on we would like to see purple widgets
          instead of those inferior green ones it would make a better game"
          then its a statement. This is instead of 2 teams saying the above and
          10 saying , whatever it worked..

          In order to start it off I have ALWAYS complained about the weight.
          120 plus battery is on the edge for 2 HS students to carry and not
          get hurt.
          i would love to see the weight lowered (and yes I have also wished
          for 15 more pounds in week 6 when we are over weight but I doubt
          giving us a 145 limit will cure that)
          Its also part of the concept of being creative if you don't know the
          dimensions before the game is announced (this is a veterans vs rookie
          argument)

          Enjoy

          Eric Stokely
          team 360
        • Kevin Ross
          Message 4 of 15 , May 16, 2006
            I would REALLY like to have the option for a half kit that costs much less.
            I would like to be able to register for $4000 and not have a kit of parts
            sent to me at all, or just send me the game specific parts or parts that
            didn't exist last year.

            Things I don't need that I can use previous years versions

            1) Motor controllers (we have at least 20 of them)
            2) Batteries (we have 8)
            3) Barbie Motors (already have 6)
            3a) Power window motors (already have 6)
            3b) CIM motors (have 8)
            4) Spikes (already have 10)
            5) Battery Chargers (already have 4)
            6) Joysticks (already have 8)
            7) Control systems (already have last years)
            8) Wire (Have plenty)
            9) Pneumatics (have 3 left over)
            etc....

            At this point, veteran teams are being forced to waste resources (money)
            purchasing things they already have a surplus of. Plus, we end up with more
            and more stuff to either sort through and throw out, or attempt to store
            somewhere.

            I would agree about the weight, except the new default drive train
            transmissions are substantially heavy. Its difficult to build a 6 wheel
            design with just controls, motors, wheels, etc for less than 70 lbs. That
            leaves not so much for the game specific contraptions.

          • Donna Lew
            Message 5 of 15 , May 17, 2006

              ditto Team #488 ....we're storing stuff in mentor garages and apartment/condo storage areas. Makes quite the inventory challenge as we start the season off ...oh well another opportunity to teach the kids tracking inventory at multiple storage sites.

              A reduction in the registration would allow more of our team to attend the competition. 50% of my team are on free and reduced lunch. Many kids at FHS are hesitant to join because they are worried about the cost to be a member of the team. Team #488 did really well this year finding scholarships for our financially needy students.

              Our kids are running fund raisers through the summer and of course the obligatory car wash. Kids love car wash for some reason ...must be that they can nail the mentors with the water hoses.

              Donna Y. Lew 206 972-4119

              From: "Kevin Ross" <kevinro@...>
              To: <pnw-first@yahoogroups.com>
              Subject: RE: [pnw-first] FIRST survey
              Date: Tue, 16 May 2006 22:52:23 -0700

              I would REALLY like to have the option for a half kit that costs much less.
              I would like to be able to register for $4000 and not have a kit of parts
              sent to me at all, or just send me the game specific parts or parts that
              didn't exist last year.

              Things I don't need that I can use previous years versions

              1) Motor controllers (we have at least 20 of them)
              2) Batteries (we have 8)
              3) Barbie Motors (already have 6)
              3a) Power window motors (already have 6)
              3b) CIM motors (have 8)
              4) Spikes (already have 10)
              5) Battery Chargers (already have 4)
              6) Joysticks (already have 8)
              7) Control systems (already have last years)
              8) Wire (Have plenty)
              9) Pneumatics (have 3 left over)
              etc....

              At this point, veteran teams are being forced to waste resources (money)
              purchasing things they already have a surplus of. Plus, we end up with more
              and more stuff to either sort through and throw out, or attempt to store
              somewhere.

              I would agree about the weight, except the new default drive train
              transmissions are substantially heavy. Its difficult to build a 6 wheel
              design with just controls, motors, wheels, etc for less than 70 lbs. That
              leaves not so much for the game specific contraptions.

              YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

            • Eric Stokely
              Message 6 of 15 , May 17, 2006
                Great points!
                Exactly why I asked.
                I agree completley. Cheaper registration without having to store extra useless parts would be a double bonus

                Eric

                From: "Kevin Ross" <kevinro@...>
                To: <pnw-first@yahoogroups.com>
                Date: Tue, 16 May 2006 22:52:23 -0700

                I would REALLY like to have the option for a half kit that costs much less.
                I would like to be able to register for $4000 and not have a kit of parts
                sent to me at all, or just send me the game specific parts or parts that
                didn't exist last year.

                Things I don't need that I can use previous years versions

                1) Motor controllers (we have at least 20 of them)
                2) Batteries (we have 8)
                3) Barbie Motors (already have 6)
                3a) Power window motors (already have 6)
                3b) CIM motors (have 8)
                4) Spikes (already have 10)
                5) Battery Chargers (already have 4)
                6) Joysticks (already have 8)
                7) Control systems (already have last years)
                8) Wire (Have plenty)
                9) Pneumatics (have 3 left over)
                etc....

                At this point, veteran teams are being forced to waste resources (money)
                purchasing things they already have a surplus of. Plus, we end up with more
                and more stuff to either sort through and throw out, or attempt to store
                somewhere.

                I would agree about the weight, except the new default drive train
                transmissions are substantially heavy. Its difficult to build a 6 wheel
                design with just controls, motors, wheels, etc for less than 70 lbs. That
                leaves not so much for the game specific contraptions.

                YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

                YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

              • Kevin Ross
                Message 7 of 15 , May 18, 2006
                  Message

                  From: "Kevin Ross" <kevinro@...>
                  To: <pnw-first@yahoogroups.com>
                  Date: Tue, 16 May 2006 22:52:23 -0700

                  I would REALLY like to have the option for a half kit that costs much less.
                  I would like to be able to register for $4000 and not have a kit of parts
                  sent to me at all, or just send me the game specific parts or parts that
                  didn't exist last year.

                  Things I don't need that I can use previous years versions

                  1) Motor controllers (we have at least 20 of them)
                  2) Batteries (we have 8)
                  3) Barbie Motors (already have 6)
                  3a) Power window motors (already have 6)
                  3b) CIM motors (have 8)
                  4) Spikes (already have 10)
                  5) Battery Chargers (already have 4)
                  6) Joysticks (already have 8)
                  7) Control systems (already have last years)
                  8) Wire (Have plenty)
                  9) Pneumatics (have 3 left over)
                  etc....

                  At this point, veteran teams are being forced to waste resources (money)
                  purchasing things they already have a surplus of. Plus, we end up with more
                  and more stuff to either sort through and throw out, or attempt to store
                  somewhere.

                  I would agree about the weight, except the new default drive train
                  transmissions are substantially heavy. Its difficult to build a 6 wheel
                  design with just controls, motors, wheels, etc for less than 70 lbs. That
                  leaves not so much for the game specific contraptions.

                  YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

                  YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

                • Eric Stokely
                  Message 8 of 15 , May 18, 2006
                    Jasons email to us said Alaska teams, Washington teams....so i assume he got the info from FIRST to send to main team contact. See what happens when you become a judge :-)
                    I attached a copy for you

                    Eric
                  • Eric Stokely
                    Message 9 of 15 , May 19, 2006
                      forwarded to me, the leher report of FIRST
                      decent quality for an online stream. Standard stuff but its about Aimhigh

                      Eric

                      http://vvi.onstreammedia.com:80/cgi-bin/visearch?squery=+ClipID:4++VideoAsset:pbsnh051606&query=+ClipCategory%3AClipCategory%3Ascience&user=pbs-newshour&tid=email

                    • Jeff Austin
                      Message 10 of 15 , May 20, 2006
                        Hi Kevin,
                        I'm attempting to build a demo/software-test bot this summer and was planning to buy 4 CIMS, 4 motor controlers, two joysticks, etc for top dollar from FIRST.  (I'm trying to get my local High School (Snohomish) interested in FIRST and trying to give Kamiak a good software test bed.) If you guys would be willing to sell me some of your surplus bits I'll give you cash you can put to better use.  Let me know what you think.

                        Thanks Kevin!
                        Jeff Austin

                      • Ryan McElroy
                        Message 11 of 15 , May 22, 2006
                          If its not too late to sign up, TRC will show up. Let me know!

                          ~Ryan

                          On 5/13/06, Cathy Saxton <yahoogroup@...> wrote:
                          > This is a reminder that the FIRST demo at the Issaquah Public Market is in 2
                          > weeks, on May 27th. It's at Pickering Barn, which is just off exit #15 from
                          > I-90. The link below has a map and directions. This is a great opportunity
                          > to get the public informed about our programs!
                          >
                          > Please let me know if your team can make it so I can have an approximate
                          > count of teams participating.
                          >
                          > Thanks!
                          > Cathy Saxton
                          > FIRST Team 1318
                          > Issaquah Robotics Society
                          > cathy@...

                        • Cathy Saxton
                          Message 12 of 15 , May 22, 2006
                            That would be great! See you there. (Let me know if you have any requests
                            other than a table with power and a couple chairs.)

                            Cathy

                          • Kevin Ross
                            Message 13 of 15 , Aug 20, 2006
                              Howdy folks,

                              Hope you are all getting prepared for the upcoming FIRST season.

                              I just got back from New Hampshire where I was at a meeting at FIRST
                              national headquarters. FIRST has decided to extend the Vex program (FVC)

                              I will be organizing the FVC program in the state of WA. Details haven't
                              been worked out completely yet, but we are looking at staging a FVC
                              challenge on March 17th, 2007 somewhere in the Seattle area.

                              VEX, which is a bit like Erector Set on steriods, will allow us to reach
                              more students in our state. FVC teams will be able to participate for less
                              than $1000 per team, while still providing a rich experience for the
                              students. The FVC challenge will be released sometime in mid-september. FVC
                              is in theory targeted at high school students, but is expected to reach
                              students from 11-18 yrs old.

                              Given that I have been the official FVC partner for nearly 48 hours now, I
                              will appreciate your patience with my lack of a formal plan as of yet.
                              However, this will happen!

                              If you are interested, please consider the following website as your way of
                              getting on my mini-mailing list...

                              http://www.firstwa.org/FVC/default.htm

                              The official FVC program site is http://www.usfirst.org/vex/

                              Thanks!