3151IMPORTANT: Registration for Fall FRC Events

  • Dale Yocum
    Sep 1, 2013
      This fall there are a series of events for FIRST Robotics Teams to get ready for the competition season you won't want to miss.  REGISTER NOW FOR THESE at the links below.

      BUNNYBOTS 2013 -- Pool Party  12/21/13
      The rules are NOW POSTED and registration is open for this fall's pre-season competition, BunnyBots.  For those who don't know, BunnyBots is a great way to get new members ready for the build season by designing and building FRC-class robots for a unique and whimsical game.  No one takes it too seriously (except 2471!) and everyone has a good time.  This event is hosted at Catlin Gabel the first Saturday of Winter Break.   Last year we filled up so register early to guarantee a spot.   Registration is $100 per robot which just covers our costs  Check out the rules and register at www.team1540.org/bunnybot .   Hosted at Catlin Gabel in Portland.

      GIRLS' GENERATION PORTLAND-- Ultimate Ascent  10/19/13
      Sometimes girls get relegated to stereotypically female roles on teams.  Not on this day.  Only girls will be allowed on drive teams and only girls and their mentors work on the robots in the pit areas.   Adults are not allowed to be drive coach.  We're trucking out an official field again this year which makes this as close to the real thing as we can achieve. Many volunteers are pitching in to make it happen and to get practice for the upcoming district competitions.  Guys can come and cheer on the girls.  Hosted at Catlin Gabel in Portland.  REGISTER NOW at www.team1540.org/girlsgeneration

      ROOKIE RUMBLE -- Ultimate Ascent 10/20/13
      A new event this year.  Since the real field is here and the volunteers are warmed up, we'll play Ultimate Ascent one last time,. but with a twist.  Each drive team position is only open to those students who did NOT hold that role in the last competition season. Additionally, the pit crew must not have been the primary pit crew last season.  Adults are not allowed to be drive coach but can help in the pits if absolutely needed.  Besides just being good fun this is a way for students to try out for team positions in the upcoming season.  Open to both male and female team members.  REGISTER NOW at www.team1540.org/rookierumble   Hosted at Catlin Gabel in Portland.

      We weren't able to keep for GIrls' Generation and Rookie Rumble free this year because of the enormous expense of shipping a field out from Indiana.  The registration will be $200 per team for Girls' Generation or Rookie Rumble or $300 for the pair.  This isn't a fundraiser for our team, this just barely breaks even.  Teams for which this is an extreme hardship should drop me a line and we'll work something out.  We WANT everyone to come.

      FIRSTFare 11/16/13
      Gladstone Robotics 3131 is once again hosting FIRSTFare, the seminar series for all things FRC.  This is the perfect place for team members, old and new, to pick up fresh skills.  3131 will be sending out more information as the date draws near.  www.gladstonerobotics.com/firstfare/first-fare-2013.  If you have an idea for a topic you'd like to present there, get in contact with them at ff.coordinators@....  Hosted at Gladstone High.

      Rookie Teams
      Even if you don't have a robot you and your kids really need to come to these events, especially Girls' Generation / Rookie Rumble and FIRSTFare.  There really is no substitute for seeing an FRC event in person and talking to the teams about their robots.  This is will make a huge difference in how well your team fares in the build season.  It's even possible a FRC team near you may have an extra robot with which you can compete.  It never hurts to ask.  BunnyBots is a great opportunity if you have the funds.  You don't need a full control system.  If you can borrow a cRIO, that's great, but you can compete just fine with replacements from AndyMark www.andymark.com/Controls-s/178.htm or team221 www.team221.com/order.php?cat=14.  Rookie teams who have been through BunnyBots are light years ahead of others.

      SEASON KICKOFF MEETING
      And just a reminder, the FRC season kickoff meeting (previously the Leadership meeting) will at Sept 12th from 7:00pm sharp - 8:30 (9:00pm with BunnyBots) at Catlin Gabel's Cabell Center (the big auditorium right off the parking lot).  Doors open at 6:30pm.  We'll be joined by Don Bossi, president of FIRST.  Everyone is invited students and adults alike.  We'll talk about these upcoming events, discuss the new District Model, and for those interested, dive into the particulars of BunnyBots 2013.  A video of this event will be posted on www.oregonfirst.org after the fact.

      Cheers,
      Dale Yocum
      FIRSTForce Metro Coordinator
      Head Coach, Team 1540