Kindle ebook versions of Project Madurai etext collections being sold online for Rs. 49 !!

  • K. Kalyanasundaram
    Message 1 of 21 , Feb 24, 2017
      Dear Promads:
      A friend of mine Mr. TNC Venkataraghavan of Chennai has informed me thatsomeone is selling an ebook for Kindle online for Rs. 49 that contains theshort stories of Tamil writer Jayakanthan. Strangely the publisher has includedthe header pages that indicate the source of the ebook to be from ProjectMadurai.  I am enclosing herewith few screen capture shots on this ebookavailable for Kindle online.
      I have no objections for someone to distribute ebooks based on Project Madurai for Kindle and other portable platforms, But I am NOT comfortable with the idea that someone wants to make money out of PMcollections. I request fellow Promads to state their views on this.
      I would like to explore all options to stop this kind of money making using
      freely distributed Project Madurai collections - fruit of thousands of hoursof voluntary work of many many volunteers across the globe.
      We have not stated explicitly that our collections fall under collective commonsframework or GNU type licensing restrictions that does not permit anyoneto make money out of secondary derivatives. I would like to have someconstructive discussions and dialogues on this topic.
      anbudanKalyan

    • Nivetha
      Message 2 of 21 , Feb 24, 2017
        Dear Sir,

        The mentioned book and many more books which are sourced from Project Madurai are published by us - Pustaka Digital Media.

        The same set of books are available in our website as "free books" for users. Our intention is to provide these books for free and not to make money out of this. As you said this is voluntary effort by lots of people and we just want to provide at free of cost only.

        For some technical difficulties Amazon currently doesn't allow to publish at Rs. 0. So, we mentioned minimum amount as Rs.49 (as per the Amazon guidelines). We are working with Kindle team to change the pricing to Rs.0 for all these books.

        Thanks,
        Nivetha
        CEO of Pustaka Digital Media

[...]

      • R.Arul Nambi

          Message 4 of 21 , Feb 24, 2017
            Hi Nivetha -

            Thanks for acknowledging and explanation.

            But the practice of making money out of free open source is not acceptable. I let the board of members of this group to decide on this.

            If possible please bring out the number of sales and share your future plan on how to utilize the profit. We'll be happy if you prefer to use that to promote open source books or other PM activities

            Thanks,
            Kesavan Muthuvel

            On 24 பிப்ரவரி, 2017 10:58:53 AM CST, "Nivetha nivetha.padmanaban@... [pmadurai]" <pmadurai@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

[...]

            I never think of the future - it comes soon enough.
            ♻ Albert Einstein

            Kesavan Muthuvel
            Houston,TX
            ☎ +1 612-701-7485
            http://www.kesavan.info/
            GNU/Linux | GNU's Not Unix!

            "Earth is our mother.We're mother suckers."
            Think about electric,petro-oil, green trees before consume.

            Sent from my CynogenMod device with K-9 Mail. Please excuse my brevity.
          • R.Navaneethakrishnan

                Message 7 of 21 , Feb 25, 2017
                  My Humble opinion is let the very purpose of making this available to all w/o any cost  be prevailed.
                  Its not ethical to charge by some one else also.

                  Wishing u for a very happy & healthy living

                  R.Arul Nambi

                  Message 8 of 21 , Feb 27, 2017
                    Given the true intention of countless volunteers who helped build Project Madurai (PM) over these years, any work of PM and its derivatives must be distributed free of charge.

                    Glad to see a candid response from Nivetha! Appreciate the openness & the proposed suggestions to move forward.

                    Instead of trying to fix what has happened, Putaka can come forward to share a generic version (maybe .epub) of PM works, may be with an additional line of credit - for download from the PM website also.

                    - Anbu
                  • K Kalyanasundaram
                    Message 9 of 21 , Feb 27, 2017
                      Dear Ms.Nivetha:

                      First our sincere thanks for your prompt clarification and your interests to find a
                      solution that is acceptable to everyone.  We appreciate much your sincerity.

                      Project Madurai started off as a voluntary initiative to prepare digital versions of
                      Tamil literary works and to make them available free of cost through the Net.
                      Many volunteers have contributed their precious time and effort to prepare the
                      electronic texts.

                      Hence our stand is that, as with many open source derived works, all secondary
                      derivatives made out  of our ebook collections also should be distributed free of
                      cost. Revenue sharing model is too complicated. We do not have the time nor
                      resources to do proper book keeping and take additional initiatives to spend the
                      revenue collected in a useful manner.

                      We are pleased to hear from your recent email that Amazon will permit distribution
                      of your PM based ebooks at 0 ₨ soon. In that case, we prefer that you make
                      arrangements for distribution of the derived ebooks free of cost.  If you can make
                      available the kindle editions to us, then we can also make them available to the
                      general public through our web server as well. Along with the Project Madurai
                      header, you may add additional credit lines acknowledging the contribution of
                      Pustaka in the preparation of the Kindle editions.

                      anbudan
                      Kalyan

                      --
                      Dr. K. Kalyanasundaram
                      Project Leader, Project Madurai

[...]

                    • Nivetha Padmanaban
                      Message 10 of 21 , Mar 1, 2017
                        Dear Mr.Kalyan and other Volunteers of Project Madurai,

                        Thanks for your reply. It is very clear from everybody's reply that all these works should be distributed for free to users which is very much aligned with Pustaka as well. Will update all Kindle version of Project Madurai works to Rs.0 at the earliest and I will update this thread.

                        I am also happy to contribute back to project madurai and happy to share Kindle versions with the credit to Pustaka. Let me know how to share this.

                        Thanks,
                        Nivetha.

                        On Tue, Feb 28, 2017 at 1:16 PM, K Kalyanasundaram kkalyan2005@... [pmadurai] <pmadurai@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

[...]

                      • Padmanabhan Vijayaraghavan
                        Message 11 of 21 , Mar 2, 2017
                          in my opinion
                          to share Kindle versions with the credit to Pustaka the work of Project Madurai should be acknowledged
                           thank you
                          yours sincerely
                          V.Padmanabhan

                          Message 12 of 21 , Mar 2, 2017
                            Commendable work.

                            Sent from my Samsung Galaxy smartphone.

                            Message 13 of 21 , Mar 8, 2017
                              Hi All,

                              We have changed all the pmadurai works in Kindle to Rs.0 in Amazon.

                              Thanks,
                              Nivetha

                              Message 14 of 21 , Mar 9, 2017
                              Thanks Nivetha,

                              These books are free (Rs.0) only for Kindle unlimited. Amazon is asking Rs.149 -199 per month for kindle unlimited subscription.

                              Amazon should change their pricing to Rs.0 for basic kindle edition. So that users can download the books at Rs.0 (actual zero cost)

                              Thanks for your understanding and support

                              Regards
                              Vijayakumar
                              Inline image

                              Inline image

                              Message 16 of 21 , Mar 13, 2017
                              Thanks Nivetha,

                              I checked now online. Price is reflection Rs. 0 for kindle too.
                              Much appreciated

                              Thanks
                              Vijayakumar

                              Message 17 of 21 , Apr 16, 2017
                                how to search fr such books

                                Wishing u for a very happy & healthy living

                                R.Arul Nambi
                                +91 89393 65191 (Preferred)
                                +91 98409 65191

                                  to share Kindle versions with the credit to Pustaka the work of Project Madurai should be acknowledged
                                   thank you
                                  yours sincerely
                                  V.Padmanabhan

                                • Srinivasan Varadarajan

                                    Message 20 of 21 , Jun 7, 2017

                                      Wonderful !
                                      Really Superb !

                                      Please do guide us to search on Amazon Kindle.  Tried searching  pmmadurai  ..could not get the details.

                                      Thanks
                                      T Senthil Durai

                                      Message 21 of 21 , Jun 8, 2017
                                        வணக்கம்

                                        ஆமசானில் வெளியிடுவது போலவே கூகுல் ப்ளே வழியாகவும் PDF வடிவில் மதுரைத்திட்ட  நூல்களை  வெளியிடலாமே.

                                        இதனைக் குறித்து கருத்தறிய விரும்புகிறேன்.

                                        நன்றி

                                        தேமொழி