Kothai Nachiyar Thalattu e-book

  • Kannan
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 1, 2002
      Dear Suvadians/Promads:

      During my last trip to India I found a beautiful poem called 'kothai
      nachiyar thalattu' transcribed from palm leaves found in Alwar
      Thirunagari by
      Periyan Srinivasa Iyengar in 1928. I keyed in those texts for PM and
      wrote
      an article on it (Pasura madal). Several lines were missing in that
      version as
      the palm leaves were badly damaged. During this trip, I found another
      version
      in Government Oriental Manuscript Library, Chennai which is complete.
      This
      was first published in 1958. Unfortunately, in both these versions the
      author
      of this beautiful poetry was not mentioned. Probably, they reproduced a
      oral
      tradition (?). My guess is that it was sung during child birth and
      similar such
      occations. I was looking for somebody to sing these poems. Fortunately,
      met Dr.A.K.Srinivasan elder brother of well known Tamil scholar
      A.K.Ramanujan
      in Chennai. His sister-in-law who teaches classical tamil music to
      children had
      agreed to compose music to these poems. Once that is complete, it will
      be
      released in THF. For now, read the full text at:

      http://www.infitt.org/thf/ebook.html

      anbudan
      Kannan
    • K. Kalyanasundaram
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 2, 2002
        Dear Kannan:

        > During my last trip to India I found a beautiful poem called 'kothai
        > nachiyar thalattu' transcribed from palm leaves found in Alwar
        > Thirunagari by Periyan Srinivasa Iyengar in 1928. I keyed in those
        > texts for PM and wrote an article on it (Pasura madal). Several lines
        > were missing in that version as the palm leaves were badly damaged.
        > During this trip, I found another version in Government Oriental
        > Manuscript Library, Chennai which is complete.
        <cut>
        > For now, read the full text at:
        >
        > http://www.infitt.org/thf/ebook.html

        If you do have the full version of the work, will it be possible for you
        to edit the etxt file that we have released earlier using the image files
        that you have and sent us the revised version? We can then replace the
        current one being distributed on the Net.

        Kalyan
      • Kannan
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 2, 2002
          Hello Kalyan:

          Yes, I thought about that. Give me some time. I shall do that!
          This needs 'version-comparison' (pada pedam).

          Kannan