American Sign Language Classes Updated info FALL/ WINTER 2013

  • mamaof402382
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 16 7:00 AM
      ~American Sign Language Classes for Homeschoolers… UPDATED INFO FOR FALL/WINTER 2013

      Hello HS families,

      It's my pleasure to offer ASL to Homeschoolers for the 13th year! This program has been highly successful because of the wonderful attendees and host families.. The cost of class remains unchanged $5.00 per week per student however:
      • I'm no longer able to offer a pay as you go option. Sadly and unfortunately I've been faced with a great number of situations which result in me not getting paid. For 12+ years many of you have enjoyed the $5.00 per class pay as you go system. This "pay as you go" system helped make it possible for your children to attend class. I'm truly sorry that I must ask for the cost of each 6 week session to be paid in full at the first class. This was a tough but necessary decision 
      • I would like to offer this class on Tuesdays or Thursdays from 1pm-2pm "ish". As always we will need a host family. If you wish to host ASL class the cost for you and your children will be waived. ( I'm always flooded with offers to host class, I'll choose the host family based on best location). The exact day/time/location will be determined based on your feedback and responses. Look for this info to be posted by the 2nd week in August.

      • We will continue with our "shoes off policy"…many pairs of feet can sure drag in lots of mud, rain, snow etc….
      This class will be opened to kids and parents (yes….parents may register as well for the same weekly fee of $5.00) ages 6 and up .

      ~PLEASE NOTE: There is another ASL class which I will open/offer to older homeschoolers (middle school/high school aged kids). This class meets Thursday mornings in Bridgewater @ The Conant Community Health Center from 10:00-11:30. This program runs for 6 weeks at a time (Sept/June).
      Because the classes are longer ( 90 minutes) the cost is a bit more. Non-homescholers pay $75.00 for the 6 week course. I will lower the cost for homeschoolers and their parents to $65.00. This is a beginner program however many older kids prefer it as it's faster paced and loaded with content. Many homeschoolers attend this class and receive foreign language credit from me!
      The next Thursday morning Bridgewater class begins Sept. 5th and runs until Oct. 10th. Slots for this program will be held on a first come/first serve basis. Payment for this 6 week program is due at the first class. To sign up for this class please contact me : manny66@...
      You can find a complete schedule and learn more about this ASL program on my website:
      mariannemolinariasl.com

      • Those of you who are new to homeschooling or to the area may not be familiar with this ASL program.
      Please read below for a description of what you can expect to learn. I look forward to meeting many new families. Class cancellations ( due to weather) will always be posted on my website: mariannemolinariasl.com
      Best,
      Marianne

      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      American Sign Language IS a true language accepted under the label "foreign language"/"world language"

      Did you know:

      1)Deaf is different from deaf?
      2)That there are 22 signing systems AND one true manual language….ASL? WOW….this means the Deaf sure are diverse communicators!!
      3)In 1894 the football huddle was created by a Deaf football players at Gallaudet University?
      (Hummm sure makes sense to hide your signing hands when you're deciding on the next play)!
      4)The definition of ASL literacy is knowing/understanding the language AND Deaf culture?
      5)The Deaf have "accents" on their hands, just as hearing people have accents in their voices. This means that ASL signs can vary depending upon where you live!
      6) VOCABULARY only accounts for 4-6% of ASL. Therefore you will learn about:
      Classifiers, eye gaze, grammar/sentence types, indexing, contrastive structure, sign inflection, loan/lexicalized signs, spatial agreement etc……
      7) CULTURE is vital to you as an ASL student. Understanding a Deaf person culturally will allow you to be accepted into the Deaf community. The Deaf are very proud of their beautiful ASL and Deaf culture!
      On a cultural note you can expect to learn about: Deaf folklore, Deaf traditions, Deaf history, Deaf personality traits/social norms, Deaf poetry , Deaf art and literature, Deaf humor etc…..
      8). The FREE Deaf events which I host enable all of my students to use their signing skills in real life experiences!
      9). Facial expression is NOT an option….it's a MUST when using ASL
      10). Deaf/blind people communicate via tactile sign which is not the same as ASL.