American Sign Language classes.....exciting news!

  • mamaof402382
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 8, 2013
      Hello everyone!
      I'm happy to share with you information pertaining to American Sign Language classes for 2013. The Thursday class which has been hosted by the Fiore family in Halifax must be changed as they sold their home and will move to Kingston ( just off the expressway…..very east access). Thus, I'm sending out 2 new class times for you all to consider. I am able to teach in Kingston on Thursday afternoons from: 1:00-2:00 OR 2:00-3:00. I intend to get this class up and running on or around Feb. 7th. Please see below for more class info (everything has remained the same). Class cancellations due to weather will be posted on my website: mariannemolinariasl.com This website will also provide you with a great deal of info regarding all ASL classes and FREE Deaf events! Please make time to view the "student testimonials" found under the "more" tab. Please contact me ASAP if you would like for me to hold your place in class. Slots will be held on a first come/first serve basis.
      Lastly, there is another opportunity for older homeschoolers (middle school and up) to enroll in a morning class in Bridgewater. This class is not a "homeschooler" class but is opened to any/all of you if you wish. Class will run at the Conant Community Center 5 Wally Krueger Way from 10:00-11:30 Thursday mornings beginning Jan. 17th. This is a 6 week session. Classes are longer here (90 minutes compared to the 1hour afternoon class). The cost to attend this program is $75.00. This class is also a beginner class however it's a bit more "elevated" in nature. MANY homeschoolers attend a class identical to this on Wed. evenings @ The Conant Center.
      Cost for class is $5.00 per student. Parents may enroll with their kids at the same cost of $5.00 per class. Families seem to really appreciate the weekly payments ( $5.00 per student per class) in lieu of up front full payments. I do ask that those who register commit to the 6 week program. NO BOOKS are needed! I create all lesson plans and distribute them each week. This past session attendees enjoyed a lesson on Deaf/blindness. I brought a friend of mine ( Deaf/blind) to class and everyone was fascinated with tactile ( hand over hand) sign. Additionally, all attendees got the opportunity to "introduce" themselves by fingerspelling their names in my friend's hand. Because this lesson was so enjoyed I plan to follow up with another lesson on Deaf/blindness in this upcoming session. This is a beginner program however it's not about learning letter, number, animal, and color signs. The lesson plans are extremely functional in nature.
      We don't create spoken sentences/language in categories of words. ASL/manual language is no different in that respect. Students will learn a great deal about Deaf culture which is an absolute must. Doesn't it make sense to learn about the people you are hopeful to communicate with? Deaf and hearing culture is NOT the same! Come to ASL class and learn why mittens do NOT make a good gift for a Deaf person. Learn why the Deaf say they are from a different planet than hearing people…. The planet "EYETH" is a visual place/planet and the planet "EARTH" is a place for those who rely on sound. Find out why you absolutely cannot learn ASL from an ASL dictionary ( in fact ASL vocabulary only accounts for 4-6% of ASL).
      A slots remain available in this class. Please contact me manny66@... to get your name (s) on the attendance list.