American Sign Language Classes for Homeschoolers

  • mamaof402382
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 28, 2010
      Hello everyone,
      American Sign Language classes will begin on Wed.Feb. 24th from 3-4pm at 90 Dundee Drive in Bridgewater. Shannon has offered to host this program again and I'm thrilled to have another opportunity to teach so many of you.
      It's been a while since I've outlined this wonderful program so please read below for lots of details.
      Slots will be given out on a first come first serve basis. If you would like your child/children to participate, please contact me ASAP so I can add their name (s) to the list.
      Warmly,
      Marianne

      American Sign Language for homeschoolers

      Did you know that:

      ASL is considered a foreign language
      The Deaf are diverse communicators
      There are over 20 signing systems
      There is only 1 true manual language…..ASL
      Vocabulary accounts for only 4-6% of ASL
      You cannot learn to sign ASL from a book
      In order to interact with the Deaf community it's essential to know/understand Deaf culture
      Vinton Cerf ( "surf the net") invented the internet….he is Deaf without his hearing aids!
      The football huddle came from Gallaudet University……Deaf football players needed to hide language on their hands while on the field, thus the "football huddle"
      MANY Non verbal folks need to use sign as a support to spoken language
      Deaf is not the same as deaf

      Dear parents,
      This highly regarded ASL program includes not only ASL instruction, but also weekly cultural content. Your children will learn to communicate with the Deaf as they study about the Deaf community as a cultural, linguistic minority. No books are needed as I provide weekly handouts and lessons. The cost remains unchanged $5.00 per student per class. This session of classes will run for 6 weeks ( until Wed. March 31st). Parents may enroll with their children for the same rate of $5.00 per class. One free absence is allowed. In the past I've been pretty lax about asking for payment when attendees miss multiple classes. I'm asking that everyone take note this time around as it's only fair to all involved.
      As always, we will continue with our "shoes off policy"….especially important in this wet, messy weather. If for some reason the headcount is more than we can accommodate at Shannon's another class may open up. Another mom has graciously offered to host a class so we'll see what happens. If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact me.
      Warmly,
      Marianne